Amtrak Autumn Express 2015 (Oct 24 & Oct 25)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike77E9

Train Attendant
Anyone know if there will be an Autumn Express for 2015 after the last two highly successful seasons of it? Hopefully there will be more 'rare mileage' opportunity, but I know their survey hinted at some sort of wine tasting train, santa train, etc.

Can we suspect that the special services group will be tied up for last minute planning of the Pope's visit. May not get many details until final Pope trains are at final operation configuration.

Have to stay alert for the announcement if it comes....they sell out really fast..... ;)

It's been awfully quiet about this trip, I'm getting the impression that it's not going to happen. However, last year's trip was announced on October 3rd.

It was "leaked" prior to the "official" announcement, yes? Or maybe it was just some very heads up AGR members who posted the notice, as soon as it was official.

I hope it does happen, and they come up with some more great routings....perhaps they are just finalizing the details before announcing it..... :)

I'm not sure how "true" this is, but I read on a facebook group that Amtrak is either required or expected to have two excursion trains per yer, and that for some reason the ski excursion train earlier counted as both. I'm not sure why they wouldn't still do an AE trip either way, but I never understand bureaucracy.

I'm not sure how "true" this is, but I read on a facebook group that Amtrak is either required or expected to have two excursion trains per yer, and that for some reason the ski excursion train earlier counted as both. I'm not sure why they wouldn't still do an AE trip either way, but I never understand bureaucracy.
I don't think Amtrak is either expected, or required to run an excursion train

They should, IMHO, be running many more of them, as long as they can sell them out in advance, and make bottom line profit

The actual requirement. Is amtrak is allowed to run them. But under no circumstances are they allowed to lose money on them. And their charter department is hard to deal with

No, I meant "required to run their own excursion trains".

I doubt when they run their own, they even call their charter department, it's prolly all done under ops, and then the details sent over to Mktg dept, to sell the damn thing out.

No, I meant "required to run their own excursion trains".

I doubt when they run their own, they even call their charter department, it's prolly all done under ops, and then the details sent over to Mktg dept, to sell the damn thing out.
The Charter/Special movement department is definitely involved in the excursions. Additionally, it is worth noting that these excursions are often timed around two other specials that run around the same time,Thanksgiving and equipment availabilty, which is in even shorter supply this year.

Timing is everything.

Thanks for that 'heads-up'.....

I wonder if the train will pick up passengers first at SDY or ALB? If you want best choice of seats, it would be better to get on at first passenger pickup....I would guess ALB, since that is the base, but will have to wait and see....

Have to remember to get reserved right away, last year Saturday sold out in no time....at least they are showing both days from the start this year, so maybe some people will choose Sunday....

I received an email from the Massachusetts Bay Railroad Enthusiasts that gave me the heads up... it did state that train would leave ALB first, then to SDY, then onto CP. Even so, one would hope they would block off a coach or two for SDY passengers, but who knows, this is Amtrak we're talking about here

Wonder if they could run the dome on that train?

There would be a real competition for those seats on those trains....so maybe better not to, unless they reserved them for a hefty premium....

Wonder if they could run the dome on that train?

There would be a real competition for those seats on those trains....so maybe better not to, unless they reserved them for a hefty premium....
I think the dome is scheduled to run on the Adirondack until early November. I agree that it would make sense to sell dome seats at a higher price, but perhaps they scheduled it to run on the Adirondack before they decided on the excursion route. After all, it does run on the Adirondack on a regular basis each fall.

So how many of our members are going to take this Autumn tour? I remember in Philadelphia in 2013 we had a big crowd. Need to make a decision as to whether to purchase tickets and arrange for a ride to Albany this morning. :)

Wish I could, even if it's a train full of foaming, drooling, booger-eating, camera-toting, bad-breath, rude, old-fart, RR Pin-wearing, Rail-Nerds (Like me).

But I already have tix for the Maryland v. Penn State Football Game at M&T stadium to attend....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back