Acela Peak Hours?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orie

Service Attendant
I just booked a trip NYP -> Boston on the Acela for a Friday night at 6pm. When I was booking it, the agent told me about Acela Peak hours possibly limiting if I wanted to change my train, but he seemed kind of unsure, and therefore I am too. I tried looking it up but couldn't find much.

Can I change my train to the 5pm if I get out of work earlier than expected and theres still seats?

Yes. The agent is referring to the heavy ridership during the various rush hours and that it is a Friday, which is a getaway day. It is peak travel time in terms of amount of people travelling so that may limit your ability to switch trains.

Both 2168 (the 5pm departure) and 2170 (6pm) are both busy trains on a Friday. Depending on how far in advance you booked, you may have a cheaper rate now than may be available when you try to swap. Many times I have worked the cafe or club car on those trains, and it's not unheard of for them to be sold out from New York to Stamford.

But to answer your original question, yes. If there are seats still available, you may change to 2168 via the ticket office or 800-USA-RAIL, but there may be a difference in fare required.

Yes. The agent is referring to the heavy ridership during the various rush hours and that it is a Friday, which is a getaway day. It is peak travel time in terms of amount of people travelling so that may limit your ability to switch trains.
I understand it's the busiest time of travel and seats may be rare if not non existent... but he made it seem like there might be an actual rule that prevents changing trains to the 5pm, but couldn't tell me for sure. That's what I'm a little confused about

Both 2168 (the 5pm departure) and 2170 (6pm) are both busy trains on a Friday. Depending on how far in advance you booked, you may have a cheaper rate now than may be available when you try to swap. Many times I have worked the cafe or club car on those trains, and it's not unheard of for them to be sold out from New York to Stamford.

But to answer your original question, yes. If there are seats still available, you may change to 2168 via the ticket office or 800-USA-RAIL, but there may be a difference in fare required.
Ok, thanks Triley. That's what I was wondering. I'm already booked on 2170 so I have that at least

Ok, thanks Triley. That's what I was wondering. I'm already booked on 2170 so I have that at least
At least you have something. May I ask if it's around the holidays? Holidays throw the Acela ridership out of whack. Either way, enjoy the trip with my Boston based co-workers, and enjoy your trip to our city!

At least you have something. May I ask if it's around the holidays? Holidays throw the Acela ridership out of whack. Either way, enjoy the trip with my Boston based co-workers, and enjoy your trip to our city!
Thanks! I've never been to Boston before so I can't wait. I'm going the Friday before Columbus Day, I'm sure that counts as a weekday. I also forgot to mention I'm using a companion coupon, which may have something to do with it. Perhaps the coupon can't be used for a peak hours train?

Thanks! I've never been to Boston before so I can't wait. I'm going the Friday before Columbus Day, I'm sure that counts as a weekday. I also forgot to mention I'm using a companion coupon, which may have something to do with it. Perhaps the coupon can't be used for a peak hours train?
Quite welcome! And yes, that would do it. The coupon is not valid on peak Acela trains (peak times being start of service-8:59am, and 2pm-5:59pm.) So you'd be able to change it to the 7pm (2172) if necessary, but not the 5pm. If it's the coupon I'm thinking of, I hope you know that it's good for a roundtrip fare, not just a one-way. So hopefully you're taking us back, and getting the best value out of it.

Quite welcome! And yes, that would do it. The coupon is not valid on peak Acela trains (peak times being start of service-8:59am, and 2pm-5:59pm.) So you'd be able to change it to the 7pm (2172) if necessary, but not the 5pm. If it's the coupon I'm thinking of, I hope you know that it's good for a roundtrip fare, not just a one-way. So hopefully you're taking us back, and getting the best value out of it.
Ah ok, now I get it. Thanks. Yep, I used it for the return trip as well! I had actually booked the trip previously, and then got the coupon with my new BoA credit card. Ended up saving nearly $200, that's a nice coupon :)

2172 is an interesting AE train to ride as it stops at NLC and is one of 3 to do so. Last year when I rode 2172 it was rather interesting stopping at NLC on an AE. Although it was a Friday the FC car was pretty much empty after NYP.. But a snow storm did hit that weekend in New England so I guess people bailed early...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back