Great Dome on the Adirondack

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
According to a post on trainorders, Amtraks one and only Dome Car will be running on the Adirondack between Albany and Montreal Sept. 24 to Nov. 3

on the following schedule:

Northbound: Mo/Th/Sat

Southbound: Su/Tu/Fri

According to a post on trainorders, Amtraks one and only Dome Car will be running on the Adirondack between Albany and Montreal Sept. 24 to Nov. 3

on the following schedule:

Northbound: Mo/Th/Sat

Southbound: Su/Tu/Fri
Amtrak posted a news release on September 17 announcing the schedule for the Dome car on the Adirondack: “Great Dome” Car Returns To Adirondack Service. So the schedule information has been available for a few days.

Thanks for posting and sharing this information Jim! :hi:

Some of us don't look at Amtrak's press releases, or at every one of the plethora of other news sources about trains, as often as we check here to see what is going and coming down the tracks! Tempus fugit and there is only so much tempus!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jim for posting. I am seriously considering traveling to Montreal for one night and then back the next day, with dome on both trains. I have not been in an Amtrak dome car yet, and traveling in one is on my bucket list. :)

With the good exchange rate, Montreal hotel rooms may be less expensive than those in Plattsburgh, NY.

Thanks Jim for posting. I am seriously considering traveling to Montreal for one night and then back the next day, with dome on both trains. I have not been in an Amtrak dome car yet, and traveling in one is on my bucket list. :)

With the good exchange rate, Montreal hotel rooms may be less expensive than those in Plattsburgh, NY.
Excellent idea Penny, the Loonie is really low right now versus the Greenback, and with Montreal and Canada being expensive for most things plus the GST, its an excellent time to go!
The leaves should be colorful too, to go with the nice sccenery along the Hudson and the Lake. The perspective is different in a Dome as you know from the Canadian!

We caught the dome car on the southbound Adirondack from Port Kent, NY a few years ago after riding the ferry across the lake from Burlington, VT. It was nice getting to ride in that car since our seats in coach were a bit cramped. There was a great rail history talk by a volunteer host up there as well. A very nice ride..

Thanks for posting and sharing this information Jim! :hi:

Some of us don't look at Amtrak's press releases, or at every one of the plethora of other news sources about trains, as often as we check here to see what is going and coming down the tracks! Tempus fugit and there is only so much tempus!

Seriously? Yes, it is nice for Jim to post it but the reality of the situation is the informationwas already posted on this very board in the Dome car opportunities thread:

Great Dome on the Adirondack - Fall 2015

I found this page hidden on amtrak.com which seems to indicate the Great Dome will be running September 24 - November 3 on the Adirondack.

http://www.amtrak.com/fall-travel-on-the-great-dome-car

I found the page using a Google search, and I could not find any links to it on the Amtrak site. The post has no dates on it, but the dates and days seem to correspond to the 2015 calendar. i.e. September 24 is a Thursday in 2015. Can anyone confirm this is indeed for 2015?

Here is some of the pertinent text:

Enjoy the Great Dome car traveling northbound September 24 - November 2 on Thursday, Saturday and Monday (Train 69). Or traveling southbound September 25 - November 3 on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday (Train 68).
Edit - I am now seeing the link on amtrak.com!! It is in a menu in the Onboard area.
There was no need to transfer information from trainorders since it was posted here earlier this month.

Thanks Thirdrail, I missed that post! Not all of us spend our time reading everything posted on the net, even here on AU.

The members that posted in response to my post are both regualrs on AU ( one is a Forum Manager), and both are highly educated and do know how to read.( as do I!)

I hope this isn't too snarky and you don't take offense, but I'm thinking perhaps you should take the Reading is Fundamental tag off your Post since most of us missed the post you reference! Thanks!

Thanks Thirdrail, I missed that post! Not all of us spend our time reading everything posted on the net, even here on AU.

The members that posted in response to my post are both regualrs on AU ( one is a Forum Manager), and both are highly educated and do know how to read.( as do I!)

I hope this isn't too snarky and you don't take offense, but I'm thinking perhaps you should take the Reading is Fundamental tag off your Post since most of us missed the post you reference! Thanks!
it wasn't too snarky and the RIF symbol was meant to amuse. For the record, I was amused but I'm easily amused.

So, I will delete the image.

However, I think it will be replaced by something else:

condescending-fox-meme-generator-search-function-it-exists-for-a-reason-f2d124.jpg

If you're not laughing now, I don't know what to tell you.

"They threatened its life with a railway share" - Lewis Carroll in The Hunting of the Snark

What I love about AU. The Snark factor!

Some of us have a life and don't have the time to spend all our lives foaming and dreaming and anticipating all things foam. Sheesh!

Thanks AGAIN Jim, for posting.

Where is that YouTube video from Saratoga Springs when I need it? :p

############################################################​

On Another note, the Loonie is down to about 75 cents on the US dollar. The lowest it has been in about 10 years. Now that is something one can take to the bank, or spend riding north of the border!

No reservations are accepted for seats in the dome car. I imagine there will be a lot of competition for them! (I base this on my experiences with pre-Amtrak travel on western railroads during the 1950s and 1960s.) I noticed that the car is added to the train in Albany... surely there will be a mad scramble for seats and a lot of disappointed travelers? Anyone have an experience with this?

No reservations are accepted for seats in the dome car. I imagine there will be a lot of competition for them! (I base this on my experiences with pre-Amtrak travel on western railroads during the 1950s and 1960s.) I noticed that the car is added to the train in Albany... surely there will be a mad scramble for seats and a lot of disappointed travelers? Anyone have an experience with this?
Actually, surprisingly, except for foamers, very few passengers bother to climb the stairs to the Dome!.

Last time I rode on this Route there were only 5 pax in the Dome but of course YMMV.

I'd suggest snagging a good seat up top soon as you can out of Albany!( if going North out of ALB the Right side is the one to have, coming South out of MTL it's the Left.)

Jim Bob Boy!

What the heck happened to your name? Did you revisit Highway 61? :)

On the Cardinal I had one of the conductors grab one of the prime front seats (port side) and use yellow tape to keep passengers out so he could use it as his own personal office!!! :blink:

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

sn

Hi ya,

So, my schedule has finally opened up a bit and I have a Monday / Tuesday off. Has anyone done the last of the Dome runs, and if so, were the leaves still pretty, or already done? I'm able to do the 3rd of November, which is the last day.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad,

Could you be a little clearer on what you're talking about? I presume it's the dome on the Adirondack, but I'm not sure.

Brad, I took that train several years ago after the leaves were done. It was very beautiful. An additional benefit was the dome was virtually empty and the two of us could move around easily.

Sorry, I was talking about the dome on the Adirondak. I'm assuming the trees will be pretty much all bare by 3 November.

Sorry, I was talking about the dome on the Adirondak. I'm assuming the trees will be pretty much all bare by 3 November.
Maybe, maybe not. The foliage is turning late this year. And of course, the farther south, the later it turns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back