Beatin Dead Horse Subject - Ice in Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
ICE,sorry!!! I have a mobility issue & like to indulge in a Happy Hour(s), while watching the world go by in the evenings (SLEEPER)! Any experience with Ice Issues lately? Next month I'll be taking the SWC-TE-CL-SM!

Thanx

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
By rule, it's not supposed to be out, but your SCA is supposed to be able to provide. All signs support this being hit or miss, but I haven't heard any "you can't get ice" stories in a while (which guarantees a flood of them is soon to follow).

Funny you should mention ice....last night on the LSL our attendant, had ice for us. As did the attendants in the other cars. He told us it's only on the Chicago-based trains where ice is not out. He said the New York based trains follow a separate set of rules than do the Chicago based ones. And he said that was because some bigwig inspector based in Chicago that laid down the law about ice is not at work when the LSL makes its way in and out of Chicago. And the reason, he said, for all the fuss about ice in the first place was someone on the TE supposedly tossed a dirty diaper into the ice one time and the inspector hit the roof when he heard about it. So that is one SCA's story anyway. We are on the TE now and while it's not out, we did get a big bucket of ice from the SCA.

Our SCA on the CZ last month said ice was available if we needed it. It was not on a shelf. Not sure if he had some stored away or whether he would have gone to the diner or lounge to get some. We usually do not use ice, so it was a moot issue with us.

There have been many different stories about the ice chests or lack thereof. Fortunately, it seems like the SCAs have been making sure it is available even when not left out. Has anyone been unable to get ice? I guess it could be an issue in the middle of the night, but if I thought I might need overnight ice, I'd fill a small cooler before I turned in for the night.

As with anything I would make sure if you're not happy, let customer service know. It's the only way things will chance is if folks complain about things.

Traveled on the AT this past weekend and self-service ice was always available in the sleepers.

And ... the Douwe Egberts coffee machines were always on.

Funny you should mention ice....last night on the LSL our attendant, had ice for us. As did the attendants in the other cars. He told us it's only on the Chicago-based trains where ice is not out. He said the New York based trains follow a separate set of rules than do the Chicago based ones. And he said that was because some bigwig inspector based in Chicago that laid down the law about ice is not at work when the LSL makes its way in and out of Chicago. And the reason, he said, for all the fuss about ice in the first place was someone on the TE supposedly tossed a dirty diaper into the ice one time and the inspector hit the roof when he heard about it. So that is one SCA's story anyway. We are on the TE now and while it's not out, we did get a big bucket of ice from the SCA.
Doesn't make any sense to me, because as far I know, the LSL is Chicago crewed? Maybe it's just the Boston stub that is, but I thought the entire train was...

Was on the Silvers 97/98 in August. Ice available in sleepers. 10 car and 11 car. Did not walk up to the 12 car. 11 car you used a cup to grab ice. 10 car had a scoop. Same crew both ways.

Also table cloth was present for all meals. Under the paper/plastic catch thing. No flowers.

When I was on the Cardinal in August, the ice was stocked in the coffee station. But on the SW Chief it was not. What I did was I brought a 1-quart thermos. My car attendant (Paul) brought me a small cardboard bucket of ice which stayed in good shape in the thermos for several days.

I've never had trouble getting ice on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, California Zephyr or Southwest Chief. While it's not out in the open anymore the SCA's I've had are more than accomodating.

Doesn't make any sense to me, because as far I know, the LSL is Chicago crewed? Maybe it's just the Boston stub that is, but I thought the entire train was...
Only Bos section is Chi based, the rest of train is NYP based

My whole birthday trip (Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief, Coast Starlight, California Zephyr, and the Lake Shore Limited) I do not recall there being any open to use ice. Only on request.

Took the northbound Crescent, westbound Lake Shore Limited, southbound City of New Orleans and northbound Crescent in July. Ice was out in the sleepers, as it has always been.

I can't say that I ever remember a problem with having ice available. I hope that doesn't jinx things now....

Unless you like drinking your juice hot, ice is necessary. We have not had trouble getting ice as we tip for it, but just to make sure, we stock our cooler before starting out before we board at PHL for CUSI. At CUS we usually have a three to four hour layover, so we walk to Greektown 5 blocks away ( 10 minute walk) purchase a bag of ice at Marianos supermarket or CVS Pharmacy. We usually have lunch there, go for coffee at Starbucks, then buy the ice, some Kind bars, drinks and walk back to CUS to restock the small cooler. We got tired of being faced with an unknown ice supply so we just buy it during the EB or CZ layovers that we connect with going Westward. .

In August on the CZ to Chicago there was no ice put out. PJ my SCA said it was an FDA thing so they stopped?? She got me all the ice I needed. My next trips a few days later on the C Limited and Meteor there was ice bag put out with a scoop. No problem.

Have ice on the SL now. The SCA says that one time a diabetic had their medicine go bad because they had no ice available. Since then she has put ice out. She also has hot coffee available as we speak at 5:58 PM MST. Our SCA is a real rebel. :lol:

I just got reprimanded on the #6 CZ for asking a dining car attendant for a glass of ice on the way through while we were stopped in Reno.

I would never bother them during service, but it was mid afternoon and the guy didn't look particularly busy. I asked and he sent me to the lounge, which was closed. I came back through, which I was heading that way anyhow, and said "he's not open " just in an informative tone, not pushy or anything.

He got right up on me and said "listen, you need to see your attendant about getting ice,don't come in here for it " kind of aggressively. Sure, whatever. Didn't bother mentioning I haven't seen a lot of him since boarding.

Have ice on the SL now. The SCA says that one time a diabetic had their medicine go bad because they had no ice available. Since then she has put ice out. She also has hot coffee available as we speak at 5:58 PM MST. Our SCA is a real rebel. :lol:
Kathy? She took good care of us late July on 422 LAX>SAS.

Kathy? She took good care of us late July on 422 LAX>SAS.
Yes, it was Kathy. She is a real credit to Amtrak and also took very good care of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back