New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But having to wait a few days for a decision is generally not unusual at all. 30 days is beyond any reasonable business concerned with customer service. But then one could have a fun chat about what BoA's business model is ;) though it is not probably as extremely bad as DA makes it sound like :D
Hundred million in fines and penalties, tens of billions in direct taxpayer bailouts, and hundreds of billions in over-leveraged liability. Who in their right mind considers that business as usual?
DA we are talking customer experience about getting a credit card approved and what the quality of service provided to the customers of credit cards is like.

Of course you are free to rant on and on about everything else that is somewhat irrelevant for this thread, but of course quite relevant in a different context, and at least some of us can just happily keep ignoring your irrelevant rants. :p

Called again......waited 10 more minutes......just as I was about to hang up in disgust an agent came on line. And I got approved for the World card. Lower credit limit-$5000-but I never spend anywhere near that amount. Glad I got approved but what a pain! :rolleyes:

But having to wait a few days for a decision is generally not unusual at all. 30 days is beyond any reasonable business concerned with customer service. But then one could have a fun chat about what BoA's business model is ;) though it is not probably as extremely bad as DA makes it sound like :D
Hundred million in fines and penalties, tens of billions in direct taxpayer bailouts, and hundreds of billions in over-leveraged liability. Who in their right mind considers that business as usual?
DA we are talking customer experience about getting a credit card approved and what the quality of service provided to the customers of credit cards is like.

Of course you are free to rant on and on about everything else that is somewhat irrelevant for this thread, but of course quite relevant in a different context, and at least some of us can just happily keep ignoring your irrelevant rants. :p
Don't worry about me or any of my silly Cassandra rants. On the plus side I'll be laughing when this whole thing finally comes crashing down. Perhaps we'll follow the pleas of the ignorant and let the market implode next time. Or maybe we'll simply run out of trust in our currency. If you refuse to learn from history you're doomed to repeat it. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see the learning in action before I kick off.

In a different forum/thread focused on that broader topic, I'd even agree with a lot of your position. But typically those things don't play a major or significant role in individuals deciding on whether they want to get a specific AGR credit card or not. That is what this thread is about. It is in the Amtrak Guest Rewards Forum. So no matter how horrendous the crash will be when it happens, I don't see its immediate relevance to making a choice about AGR credit cards and getting good or lousy customer service or not.

Here's my update. I found a reconsideration line phone number (888-221-6262) and called it. I told the english-speaking guy about the problem and he put me on hold for about a minute and came back and thanked me for making him aware of the problem and said he hadn't heard about it before. He said that he reviewed my application and everything is fine and he approved me with a $10K limit for the World Card.

He said that my initial online application had been declined (because of the glitch) and that I'd still be receiving the denial letter but to just disregard it.

He said that the second online application I made (the one that showed pending) was flagged by the computer to be ignored because it was a duplicate. He said I'd probably receive a letter about that one too, which I could also ignore.

He apologized for the issue and said I'd receive a welcome packet followed by the new card in 7-10 days.

My other half had also applied online twice (1st denied, 2nd pending), so the reconsideration line was going to get a second call this afternoon about that one.

But I just checked the online application status (google Bank of America application status) and the online app that was originally showing denied is now showing approved. (The second one shows pending).

Perhaps BOA decided that they should go back and look at all those denied applications from the weekend.

Before we apply I have a couple of questions that hopefully I can get some guidance on. My wife currently has a BOA Travel Rewards Signature Visa. This is a card she inherited after BOA pulled out of the AGR agreement a few years ago. Would she be able to cancel her existing BOA card and replace it with the new BOA AGR card? If that can be done would her credit score take a ding for canceling the one card.
She should apply for the new card on her merits and not cancel her existing BoA card.

Your total credit card charge limits contribute to your credit worthiness (in the eyes of Equifax, etc.). So, if she cancels an existing card, her available credit limit would be diminished, making her less creditworthy, so her credit score might drop. Go figure!! I would put the old card (like I will with the Chase replacement AGR card) in a safe with the rest of the cards I no longer use, but are still active.

My denied application from Friday night now reflects as approved. Card should be received in 7 to 10 days.

Well, that was interesting. After a brief chat with the fraud department they approved my originally denied application for double the credit line of what I have with Chase AGR.

The bit about fraud department could be revealing. It is possible that by mistake all the applications on day one got routed to the fraud department. :) and they have been carefully digging them out of their and approving the ones with no problem today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that was interesting. After a brief chat with the fraud department they approved my originally denied application for double the credit line of what I had with Chase AGR.

The bit about fraud department could be revealing. It is possible that by mistake all the applications on day one got routed to the fraud department. :) and they have been carefully digging them out of their and approving the ones with no problem today.
Maybe the fact that a flood of applications from people that ride trains set off the fraud alarm since its well known that no-one rides Trains anymore??!!!

First check Bank of America Application Status Center to see the current status of your application. Very likely it will already show approved. If it still shows pending or denied then call 888-221-6262. That is the Reconsideration Department. Explain to them what happened and they will be able to take care of it for you.

Here's my update. I found a reconsideration line phone number (888-221-6262) and called it. I told the english-speaking guy about the problem and he put me on hold for about a minute and came back and thanked me for making him aware of the problem and said he hadn't heard about it before. He said that he reviewed my application and everything is fine and he approved me with a $10K limit for the World Card.

He said that my initial online application had been declined (because of the glitch) and that I'd still be receiving the denial letter but to just disregard it.

He said that the second online application I made (the one that showed pending) was flagged by the computer to be ignored because it was a duplicate. He said I'd probably receive a letter about that one too, which I could also ignore.

He apologized for the issue and said I'd receive a welcome packet followed by the new card in 7-10 days.

My other half had also applied online twice (1st denied, 2nd pending), so the reconsideration line was going to get a second call this afternoon about that one.

But I just checked the online application status (google Bank of America application status) and the online app that was originally showing denied is now showing approved. (The second one shows pending).

Perhaps BOA decided that they should go back and look at all those denied applications from the weekend.
Thanks for this post and the one with the phone number. I also had my app turned down Saturday and now they have approved it. I told them that this was poor customer service on their part and Amtrak's. Errors do happen but they should have posted it on their web sites and notified people.

Thanks Steve! I'm now approved and cards on the way. everyone else still in limbo, this is the number!

I applied online and was denied. Called and they said I had insufficient credit history. That's funny because they gave me my first ever credit card. I also have six other cards (including the chase Amtrak card and two Amex cards). I went into the branch and no dice.

What a joke.
So I did a second application, and again called a credit analyst since my application said pending this time. Spoke to a woman (who was a lot nicer than the gentleman I spoke to for the first app) and said that it was flagged as a duplicate application. I pleaded my case and she decided to go ahead and open my second application for review. Approved with a limit a little less than my Chase card. I have better limits, but I pay it all off anyway.

A lot of work for a credit card (I've only been denied one other time since my first card and didn't bother fighting it), but I like riding trains :p

Now that I was approved and my new BofA AGR World MC is on the way got to thinking. I wonder if my monthly Metrolink pass would count as "transportation" and earn 2 points per dollar? Probably not but, would be nice if it did.

Well, its all in the Merchant Category Code (MCC) and I found this document which is looks encouraging on page 10 in the document in the link...

http://125plan.com/ResourceCenter/doc/AD/MerchantCategoryCodes.pdf

I'll see what happens next month when I purchase my monthly pass for November.

Here is the latest "Hot News". I went from denial on World Card to APPROVED on BOTH cards! Still laughin' my a$$ off! Bring 'em on...
Oh, that's what would probably have happened to me too if I had not headed it off at the pass asking them to pick one of the two applications and cancel it.

I enrolled with the upgraded card and the $79 fee - it has better points earning potential on travel purchases, and a 20,000 sign on bonus. And I certainly like the yearly companion ticket too. I wonder - If I were to book a roomette (or bedroom) for me and my wife, can we use the free companion ticket for her ticket. In that case, the savings would be substantial on a long distance trip. Even from DC to Chicago on the Capital Limited, it would be worth about $100 or so. I just wonder if it works with a roomette/bedroom itinerary, or if it is only valid on coach travel.

Well I for one am not impressed with the service provided to potential customers trying to get the card. First there was the reported glitch that rejected everyone. I waited until it was fixed, and then got rejected without a reason and with only the promise of a letter as consolation. I called the number listed on BoA's website and got the bum's rush. Today I called (888-221-6262, the secret number posted on Flyertalk, and was approved after a short hold.

Now I only hope I don't have to battle for every point and perk, like you have to do with shopping portal points and points from a certain hotel partner, and like you used to had to do with Amtrak travel before the advent of eTicketing.

Back