Roommette question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ceo418

Train Attendant
Hello. I will be traveling on the Capitol Limited and Empire Builder in December, and I noticed that on both trains I have roomette #2. Looking at the diagram, it looks like this is right next to the staircase and the coffee/beverage area. Is that ever a problem with a lot of people coming and going, or is it generally not an issue? Would I be better off trying to get a different number, say, room 3 or 4? And should I be able to get it for the same price if I decide to call and change it? Thanks! :) I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Many people (myself included) like Room #2. I have never had a problem with noise. Since it's in the middle of the car, it has the best ride.

If you wish to change, call and ask to MODIFY your reservation! If the agent says that it will be more, ask for a supervisor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Room 2 is my preferred roomette when I can get it because I am a geezer and geezers have to get up at night to use the bathroom.

I liked #2 until I was on the TE this summer. The SCA was opening and closing a door on the beverage center all the time which became annoying, especially at night and 4:30 AM. I will say this was the first and only time I had this problem. I never heard the people going up and down the stairs or getting coffee in the morning. Generally, I focus on 2 - 6 based on availability.

I would suggest you do what the_traveler said, if you wish to change, and do it sooner rather than later:

"call and ask to MODIFY your reservation!

If the agent says that it will be more, ask for a supervisor."

I agree that #2 is a good room, but do prefer #3 or #4 personally! As was said, call and modify your Rez if a room in the #3-#6 area is available.

Shouldn't cost you more if you get a good agent. If they try this, as was said, ask for a Supervisor or call back for a better agent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also view room #2 as best on Superliner because there is an adjoining room on just the side away from the closet

I have room two in both of my roomettes going from Chicago to Florida. I do need to check on the way back up. I like that room for the superliners since they don't have a bathroom in those roomettes.

Thank you for the input! I think I'm just going to go ahead and give it a try, and if I don't like it I can pick a different number on future trips.

Yes I think it's a good idea to take what you're assigned unless you have a specific favorite because you won't know until you've tried different rooms. I find the entire train somewhat noisy so I don't notice extra banging and clanging or people talking or even babies crying. Well I shouldn't say I don't notice-it's more that it doesn't really register or bother me. I don't sleep that well on a train but I don't fight it. I always have a boring audiobook downloaded and that helps put me to sleep (using headphones of course :) )On the first day of a trip I make sure I don't fall asleep during the daytime although on subsequent days I don't fight a little nap if I feel one coming on. I also take an Aleve before bedtime which seems to help a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back