Questions re: Crescent and ATL and Charlottesville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi folks:

Well, I finally have my August mega-trip finalized.

I am ready, mostly, but I have a few little unknown things:

1. I am leaving from NYP on the Crescent. Train leaves at 2 p.m. Do I get lunch as a sleeping car passenger?

2. I have been reading posts about the on-going ATL station saga. Is it safe to assume that this station is still a pit (sorry) and difficult to get to and around? I will be with my cane and only me so no help with my bags. It helps to know what to expect.

As I recall there was a taxistand there, correct?

Also, I am taking the Crescent from Atlanta to Charlottesville. As I recall there was not a place to grab some dinner or anything and there is no dinner on the Crescent since it leaves at 8 p.m. Do I have that right?

3. Finally, is there a place to leave luggage at Charlottesville while I wait for the Cardinal headed to Cincy? I believe someone told them there might be *plus* something about the train when it arrives being on the opposite track.

If someone - or a bunch of someones -- can help me with my questions, I would be most appreciative. Thanks!

-Jackie

Nice trip Jackie!

1. No Lunch on #19, Dinner will be the first meal, Breakfast starts before arrival into ATL!

2. ATL's Station is small and crowded. Not really a pit but overwhelmed by crowds @ times. There is one Elevator,it is slow and used for luggage as well as passengers so patience is necessary! The stairs are very steep from the platform to the station! Please have Amtrak put that you need assistance in ATL on your rez, and also let your SCA/Conductor know when you board! I assume you will use a Red Cap @ NYP.

3. You will get Dinner, last call, upon leaving ATL, the few passengers that usually board before ATL are all given early slots since the train generally fills up @ ATL!

4. The friendly agent in C-ville will let you day check your luggage for the $4 standard Amtrak charge, or just tell you to leave it for free while waiting on the Card which arrives on the other side of the Station on different tracks than the Crescent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Jim.

I am looking forward to this trip because it combines a conference for work (which I am looking forward to) and a trip home to Cincy. I haven't been home in more than a year -- that is too long not to see my folks.

I have never switched trains before in a city not on the NEC so I am a little nervous about connection in Charlottesville, but I figured if Amtrak booked it then I am go for it. I am just crossing my fingers that everything works out. I figure if anything the Cardinal will be a little late and that might run in my favor....

Nice trip Jackie!

1. No Lunch on #19, Dinner will be the first meal, Breakfast starts before arrival into ATL!

2. ATL's Station is small and crowded. Not really a pit but overwhelmed by crowds @ times. There is one Elevator,it is slow and used for luggage as well as passengers so patience is necessary! The stairs are very steep from the platform to the station! Please have Amtrak put that you need assistance in ATL on your rez, and also let your SCA/Conductor know when you board! I assume you will use a Red Cap @ NYP.

3. You will get Dinner, last call, upon leaving ATL, the few passengers that usually board before ATL are all given early slots since the train generally fills up @ ATL!

4. The friendly agent in C-town will let you day check your luggage for the $4 standard Amtrak charge, or just tell you to leave it for free while waiting on the Card which arrives on the other side of the Station on different tracks than the Crescent.

Crescent 20 sometimes arrives around 7am but is usually late; Cardinal 51 usually arrives around 2pm and is most often close to on time. So even if your northbound Crescent is hours late you will still have a long wait for the WB Cardinal.

If you want I can come down to the station and meet you. If you're up for it give you a little tour on the free trolley. Cville is a nice place. Please send me a PM with your particulars if you're interested. :)

If my memory is correct, there are two or three fast food spots a few blocks north of the ATL station on Peachtree. These are your fallbacks for dinner If the NB Crescent is horrendously late.

Last edited by a moderator:
At CVS, if it's still there, right next to - and attached to - the station is a restaurant. And when I boarded the Crescent there, my SCA told me to leave my bags in my room and head right to the Dining Car for last call.

ATL has several carts to take people from the elevator to the train, if you need that kind of assistance. While it is small and crowded, the staff normally takes good care of people needing assistance to the train. Be sure to have Amtrak note that in your reservation info.

There are no fast food restaurants close to the ATL station, especially if you need assistance walking.

ATL has several carts to take people from the elevator to the train, if you need that kind of assistance. While it is small and crowded, the staff normally takes good care of people needing assistance to the train. Be sure to have Amtrak note that in your reservation info.

There are no fast food restaurants close to the ATL station, especially if you need assistance walking.
Agreed. There's a Chik-Fila as I recall, but that's not what I'd call walking distance if you have a cane.

however, in my experience, even a late Crescent will get you dinner (assuming it's not say >2 hours or so late. I think I once caught it an hour late and still got dinner.

And the cafe car is open as a last resort.

My only comment on the Crescent is if you're leaving from ATL on Sunday is you can't get wine to go with the steak!

Actually, you can get wine with your steak. Atlanta liquor laws were changed several years ago to allow beer, liquor and wine sales on Sundays after 12:30 pm.

Not that you will necessarily need it, but there's a nice little pub-type restaurant right beside the CVS station. We ate there while waiting on the southbound Crescent to arrive. The station kept our luggage during our several hours' layover so we could explore a bit (Univ. of VA and the downtown mall areas). CVS is a pretty town, and the trolley runs right in front of the station. The waiter in the pub was very nice: He said, 'Ladies, there's a train parked outside. Is it the one you're catching?" It wasn't, but we appreciated his concern and care.

Enjoy your trip!

If you need food in Atlanta, there is a Chipotle and a Thai restaurant across the street from the station, which is as small and crowded as people say it is due to its historical value.

The friendly agent in C-ville will let you day check your luggage for the $4 standard Amtrak charge, or just tell you to leave it for free while waiting on the Card which arrives on the other side of the Station on different tracks than the Crescent.

That is good to know.I might be going there this coming winter on my way to Cincinnati from the south as I wanna explore around the city a bit before I have to leave.Thanks

Actually, you can get wine with your steak. Atlanta liquor laws were changed several years ago to allow beer, liquor and wine sales on Sundays after 12:30 pm.
Atlanta or Georgia law?

Since last I checked on the train I still couldn't get wine on Sunday nights.

I'll ask next February when I'm down there again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back