Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not disagree with you there. (I have been very sure to specify that I am talking about the rate of progress since the first deliverable baggage car was in fact delivered.)

There is a difference between a locomotive and a baggage car. The amount of time that it has taken CAF to produce the first deliverable baggage car is pretty appalling if you ask me.

I can not disagree with you there. (I have been very sure to specify that I am talking about the rate of progress since the first deliverable baggage car was in fact delivered.)
I'd rather them take their time and deliver them in a manner so when finally enter service, they aren't crapping out all over the railroad...like the aforementioned ACS-64s.

Well, while you are talking about the timelyness of delivery - Another batch of baggage cars are supposed to be delivered the first of next week.

Probably only one more batch of baggage cars and they will be finished with those. Maybe other car types will come out soon after that.

has anyone seen a viewliner ii sleeper or diner?
There is one dining car, 8400.

Number of AU folk have had meals in it ion trips.

No sleepers, yet.
Diner 8400 is a classified by Amtrak as a Viewliner I. It was gutted and refurbished by Beech Grove to serve as a functional prototype for the Viewliner II diners, but it is still a Viewliner I.

has anyone seen a viewliner ii sleeper or diner?
How quickly people forget! It was a year ago now, but one set of Viewliner 2 sleeper, diner, and baggage-dorm cars were shipped from Elmira for testing last July. They were seen in the wild on test runs on the NEC, including 125+ mph passes, and then were shipped back to Elmira. Have not been seen outside of the CAF plant since then.

Youtube video of equipment move from Elmira: New Amtrak Viewliner II passenger cars on the move 7/8/2014. Still no word, not even a juicy rumor, on when the first units of the three other types will be sent out for another round of testing and inspection.

Could it be that for accounting reasons that deliveries will be wither pushed to before September 30 or postponed to Oct 1 this year ?

Thinking of Capital expenses ( CAPEX ) on monthly reports

… Another batch of baggage cars are supposed to be delivered the first of next week.

Probably only one more batch of baggage cars and they will be finished with those. Maybe other car types will come out soon after that.
Thanks for this update.

The last batch out was in May, two full months and a few weeks ago. Cutting it close for getting another batch delivered by the September 30 Fiscal Year end. But still will be very happy to see another batch next week.

Could it be that for accounting reasons that deliveries will be wither pushed to before September 30 or postponed to Oct 1 this year ?

Thinking of Capital expenses ( CAPEX ) on monthly reports
The Viewliner order was for $300 million, when announced. The most recent budget said they'll cost $350 million.

So yes, I can easily imagine a couple of payments getting shoved into the next Fiscal Year. I know nothing, but that's my hunch.

There is a difference between a locomotive and a baggage car. The amount of time that it has taken CAF to produce the first deliverable baggage car is pretty appalling if you ask me.
We know that CAF had a serious problem hiring competent stainless steel welders. We know that this delayed production by at *least* one year, maybe two years. As far as I can tell, this problem is sufficient to account for pretty much all the delays prior to the first accepted cars.

The long dragged-out process for this order doesn't speak well for CAF. These better be super-duper perfect cars when they finally get delivered.

anyone notice: Amtrak is not frustrated, or upset about deliveries, just the rail buffs , an order this size gets changes due to design or due to customer request.

if its a design issue its cost CAF has to bear, but if its Amtrak modifications the cost will rise, hence the 350 million.

People also seem to forget the plan was all along to get the baggage cars out and then work on the diners, sleepers and dorm cars.

The current fact that other than the test types of each car we're not seeing any others is in fact by design.

Amtrak needed the baggage cars the most and as a result got them first (and the most of them).

I believe we're already starting to see changes on the NEC in scheduling because of at least one train having all 125mph rated equipment because of the new baggage car.

People also seem to forget the plan was all along to get the baggage cars out and then work on the diners, sleepers and dorm cars.
No, it was not. The plan several years ago, as stated in articles on the Viewliner II order, was to build the new cars on 2 simultaneous production lines: one the would build in sequence, the diner cars, the baggage-dorms and the sleepers and the second production line for the baggage cars. And, of course, to have delivered the cars by now. For reasons not publicly stated, that was changed, after the initial tests on the first sleeper, bag-dorm, diner units, to first build all the baggage cars, then the other 3 types. CAF was late and way behind schedule on delivering light rail cars to Houston which may have tied up their second production line for longer than originally expected, so that may have been a factor in changing the delivery order to one Viewliner II type at a time. Although we might see a delivery overlap on baggage cars and a test set of diners, depending on the production line backlog.

The Viewliner order was for $300 million, when announced. The most recent budget said they'll cost $350 million.

So yes, I can easily imagine a couple of payments getting shoved into the next Fiscal Year. I know nothing, but that's my hunch.
The FY15 budget states the total project cost at $342 million. The contract with CAF was announced as and stated for years as $298 million. There may well have been cost increases in the contract with CAF to cover Amtrak change orders. But the total project cost would also likely include the costs of training, testing, inspection, facility upgrades, contract oversight, equipment moves that would be in addition to the payments to CAF. I expect spare parts would be included in the CAF contract.
As for slipping the progress payments into next FY, Amtrak capital expenditures are running well under budget in the monthly reports. Delaying progress payments into FY16 may help with bookkeeping and cash flow this FY, but it sure does not look like Amtrak is going to get any real increase in federal funding in FY16.

CAF was late and way behind schedule on delivering light rail cars to Houston which may have tied up their second production line for longer than originally expected, so that may have been a factor in changing the delivery order to one Viewliner II type at a time.
Extremely likely. It seems the welding problems affected the Houston order as well.

Second post here says AMTK 41 and 48 are being made ready to run from Albany to Elmira on Monday to pick up more baggage cars. I think this is what was hinted at before.

Second post here says AMTK 41 and 48 are being made ready to run from Albany to Elmira on Monday to pick up more baggage cars. I think this is what was hinted at before.
That's good news. The question is how many baggage cars will be delivered in this batch? 48 baggage cars have been delivered, there are 22 to go.

Get your camera ready Ryan. You know the "what" and "where." The when should be Wednesday and Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back