July 1st Service Change Recap

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would not bother me at all to have to place a blanket on my berth; after all you usually have to tear the linens apart to be able to get into the thing to start with.
These days I don't bother with trying to get the linen untucked. I just spread out the blanket and cover myself with it. Works just fine with much less effort and is much more like what I do at home anyway!
Well, there's another labor-saving idea. Srsly. Put a wrapped top sheet beside the blanket. No more complaints about sheets too tightly tucked. And much more like what I do at home anyway!
Indeed! :)

Am I the only person reading this thread who does NOT want to get on a train late at night and have to make up my own bed?

"Am I the only person reading this thread who does NOT want to get on a train late at night and have to make up my own bed?"

No you're not!

One trip last month the blanket was in a sealed plastic bag, but our return departing CHI the bed was totally made up, nothing in a bag.

I as well do not want to get on a train, like the SL in LA or SAS and have to make my bed.

Am I the only person reading this thread who does NOT want to get on a train late at night and have to make up my own bed?
What's to making a bed, when you have a bottom fitted sheet put in place before you enter the room? Open the package. Spread the top sheet past the end where your feet will be, and tuck that in. Spread blanket. Easy to get your body into the bed.

Do you really feel that you're in an unmade bed if the top sheet isn't tucked in on three sides so that to get your body into the bed you must halfway unmake it? LOL.

O.K., with technology it should be possible for sleeper passengers to specify (a) if they want their bed fully made up or (b) if they prefer a fitted bottom sheet and to take care of the rest in their own way.

Just one minor factual point. The fitted sheets went out with the heritage cars/mattresses. All flat. But point is well taken. But also can be perceived as a lack of "service" to have linens left for "self-service" use. Just because most posters on here may not mind, the general public way feel otherwise...

Yeah, I think it is more prudent to make up the bed to look the best from a business perspective. Folks like me just spend a minute to take it apart anyway, so no harm done. But still receiving the items that directly touches ones body in sealed wrapping makes me feel more comfortable for obvious reasons. However I can understand the business imperative to provide for the majority who perhaps are not as concerned about such things.

Nope you're not!
One of the greatest joys of travel for me is getting away from housework, and making beds is one of my least favorite chores, so put me in with those who would like it made up for me. I make sure not to put my face near the blanket, anyway, and keep hand sanitizer handy, for what it's worth.

True that. And push comes to shove I have handled situations with a level of lack of sanitation that is beyond anything that most of you in the US can imagine. But that does not mean I would, given a choice, choose the less sanitary alternative simply because I have possibly survived far worse.

On 58 this morning. Only thing offered for breakfast is the "continental" breakfast. Choice of cereal and drink. That's it.

On 58 this morning. Only thing offered for breakfast is the "continental" breakfast. Choice of cereal and drink. That's it.
Oh good ***ing grief. This is disgusting. Is Amtrak trying to make the dining cars lose money? I basically go to the dining car for the omelettes at this point. Without that, what are they offering?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, was there any explanation given? A couple trips ago on the TE their breakfast was limited to (IIRC) scrambled eggs vs. French toast vs. Continental and the explanation given was the commissary donked up. But at least there we had a CHOICE.

I'd probably be on the phone to Customer Relations or whatever - there's a posted menu and you can't get what's on it? What about people on a low carb diet or who have to limit carbohydrates because of diabetes? I get that the Continental also has fruit and yogurt, but that makes for a disappointing breakfast....

The CONO (#58/#59) lost their Chef in the latest scheme to "save" money in the Diners. So the Limited Food Service crew has to heat up the limited offerings.

The Cafe LSA also now operates out of the "Lounge"portion of the CCC, sort of a Diner Lite in a Superliner like on the Cardinal!

Its a long way from the Kings Dinner in the Panama Ltd.to today's offerings on this route.

Perhaps Amtrak will rename the CONO to it's old unofficial name, " The Chicken Bone Express!"

Yeah, I'd actually demand compensation for not providing the advertised menu. I mean, being short one item is one thing, but this is ridiculous.

I hope Amtrak is not copying a page from some Airlines, and when people get on in the future, they're handed half a can of soda and a bag of pretzels and are told that's their food for the duration....

They do less than that in coach on Amtrak already. They require you to purchase any food that you have that you don't happen to bring along, including the drink. On some airlines the drink is still free in coach.

OTOH on most airlines with first class there is full meal with beverages including alcoholic, included in the fare, just like on Acelas (but not even in Sleepers) on Amtrak.

We eventually got yogurt and and bread with it, but the type of cereal and juice was all we got to choose from. On the other hand, I am now on the southbound Texas eagle and they have already said they will be serving steaks. (Also we just had someone arrested off the train for having an invalid ticket, refusing to call Amtrak and arguing with the conductor)

I called Customer Relations today and expressed my disgust with the dining car change on the CONO. (I was on 58(13)). I told them that it was worse than a school cafeteria. I told them that the braised beef shortrib wasn't even as good as a can of chunky vegetable beef soup and that they should be ashamed to have a $25 price tag for it on the menu. I also mentioned the three breakfast choices: corn flakes, raisin bran, and frosted flakes.

The agent seemed to not be aware of the recent change as he asked me if I had ridden CONO before and it was different.

Please call and let them know. If I lived in Chicago or NOL, I'd go down to the station and hand out preprinted cards with the number to customer relations to all the passengers asking them to call (of course the crew made an announcement about that on my train).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back