What happened to 8(13)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CCC1007

Customer Service Agent
Showing service disruption in eastern Montana, no other details that I can get right now...

Guess there's a derailment, and a crew is being dog catched, and read else where #7 is being turned in Minot.

An area were BNSF has had these challenges in the past-unfortunately. The first derailment in a while, but it will cause significant issues for both Amtrak and BNSF on this line for at least a couple of days......BNSF is not expecting the main track to be available until midday on Thursday!

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, the crew was not dog catched. The conductor first said he was being sent out to dog catch, but then told they were staying in MOT, and #7 is being turned.

When a crew runs out of time to work, another crew is sent out to the train to finish the trip. This has the nickname of "dog catching" the crew.

One of the LSA is on #7 from CHI last night, and now he says he's going back to CHI instead of home to SEA as they are turning the train around there in MOT.

No other choice really. BNSF won't have the Main Line back up and running until some time later tomorrow and there are dozens of freights also waiting to get thru (with estimated 3 day delays for these trains)--and real mess right now. Likely one of the worst derailments as far as time lost in a year or so. Quite a bit of track to repair and replace, then to check everything to make sure all is in good order. That general area is notorious for track issues. No reason yet given for exactly what happened though.

I'm supposed to be on the empire builder on the 17th. Will I be affected or should I fly from Seattle to l.a and hop the swc or just fly to Chicago altogether.

You should be fine, just relax and accept that there are likely to be delays along the way. I might be on the platform at whitefish on Saturday for your train, maybe we can meet up.

I just don't want to deal with a bustution. Delays smlays I came off a 10 hour late Canadian though hopefully Amtrak is not as late.

The tracks should be open tomorrow for full service, your train should get through

I wonder which spirits they used.

Passengers Affected by Train Derailment in High Spirits

The train derailment that occurred in Fort Kipp, Mont., is also affecting passengers trying to head west.

Passengers had to stop in Minot and hop on a bus to Glasgow, Mont. Amtrak provided snacks and had multiple buses at the station within an hour.

One group traveling through was just beginning their two week vacation. They said this wasn't a good start, but they're still are in high spirits.

BNSF just reopened the main line a little over an hour ago, but my locals cautioned it will take "a day or two" to sort out the congestion and get things running back to normal (meaning 2+ hour delays thru MT/ND area.

8(15) terminated at whitefish today, and will go west tomorrow.

As of the morning of the 16th, 8(13) was apparently in Wisconsin, 25+ hours late. 8(14), as of the afternoon of the 16th, was in Montana, 21+ hours late.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1437094749.078739.jpg

8(15) after turning the locomotives and adding them to the rear of the train. It will be leaving as 7(16) tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back