Looking for Ocean view - Amtrak Dome Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

illinoisandy

Train Attendant
A recent video happen to show "Ocean View" dead heading (non-revenue run) on the EB #4 (Southwest Chief) somewhere out West, the video title did not inform of this, just happen to see.

I would think it was very likely heading back to Chicago.

Has anyone seen or have knowledge if it is in Chicago and if it is being used for revenue service out of Chicago?

I am very interested in riding if operating out of Chicago as missed prior opportunities to ride and don't want to wait to Thanksgiving period.

Thanks for any information

A recent video happen to show "Ocean View" dead heading (non-revenue run) on the EB #4 (Southwest Chief) somewhere out West, the video title did not inform of this, just happen to see.

I would think it was very likely heading back to Chicago.

Has anyone seen or have knowledge if it is in Chicago and if it is being used for revenue service out of Chicago?

I am very interested in riding if operating out of Chicago as missed prior opportunities to ride and don't want to wait to Thanksgiving period.

Thanks for any information
Couple weeks ago, I saw a dome car parked at the 8th street yard in Los Angeles. I only got a quick glimpse before other cars blocked by view. This was mothers day weekend I believe. Not sure if it is the same one but it was a dome car for sure.

Thanks for the 8th Street Yard information, and yes I'm pretty sure you saw the Ocean View.

The bits and pieces of information I have come across it was on the "Fun Train" between the Bay Area and Reno back in February, then was "dead headed" down to LA and had sat there in the yard until around the 16th of May when it was put on the Chief based on being in New Mexico on the 17th.

There have been reports on other railfan sites that the Ocean View has been operating on the Hiawatha trains. It's part of a third set of equipment used for the 5:08 pm. departure out of Chicago (and I assume the return trip from Milwaukee). Metra track work has been delaying the Hiawathas and the third set is used to ensure an on-time departure of the 5:08 run, reportedly the busiest of the day.

Actually, it's been part of the set that runs the 1:05 CHI departure. The set that should run at 1:05 sits at CHI to assure the 5:08 (aka the "Commuter Hiawatha") can go on-time. The extra set at 1:05 tends to be short and/or include lounge or cafe cars so doesn't have enough seats for the 5:08.

Thanks everyone for the updates, the good news is it sound like it is running revenue service out of Chicago. On which route and run may be different by the day, which might mean trying to ride a little complicated, especially if trying to get the NARP 3 day advance purchase discount.

For schedule convience the Hiawitha service is best but short run and per mile expensive but for run length, per mile cost and a little, little bit better scenery the Carbondale run sound better. Unfortunately the day trains to and from Carbondale would have to wait about three weeks with my work/ time off schedule. Hang in there Ocean View, I'm coming!

I'd never thought there could be so much interest in the specific location or consist of a particular piece of rolling stock. But I suspect this info is available for all rolling stock and motive power somewhere in the Amtrak system. If so, all it would take is some clever "hacker" to find its URL and post it. Then we'd all be able to easily monitor every move of our favorite baggage car, etc. Just my US2¢ worth.

Since Ocean View is the ONLY Dome Car that Amtrak has, its location and use is of great interest to most of us that travel on Amtrak and even on the Specials that it is leased out to!

I'd never thought there could be so much interest in the specific location or consist of a particular piece of rolling stock. But I suspect this info is available for all rolling stock and motive power somewhere in the Amtrak system. If so, all it would take is some clever "hacker" to find its URL and post it. Then we'd all be able to easily monitor every move of our favorite baggage car, etc. Just my US2¢ worth.
And then IT security would quickly close down that loophole. Equipment movement can be monitored, but for general employees only on trains currently operating, or within the past few days, and even then we need to login with our employee number/password.

5517973021_3186f447b1_b.jpg

Looks like the 2 Joes have their own private Dome Car! Somewhere Whooz is wondering why it isn't in California where he thought it belonged! Smiles
It was surprising that it was not being utilized. We asked the conductor when we boarded and he told us to go right on up. We got on in DQN and rode to CEN and back for a points/pizza run.

I rode Monday for a points run and when I boarded in Mattoon I asked if I could move to dome after my ticket was scanned. Conductor told me to go on up, he would come get my ticket there. There was only 5 other people up top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back