Amtrak & Prescription Meds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Train Attendant
Getting ready to ride the Cardinal and California Zephyr to CO.

I've never had to show my luggage contents while using Amtrak but one of my doctors, possibly thinking of air travel, commented that I should carry my prescriptions in the original, labeled containers.

Using the smaller 7 day flip lid container is far more convenient so I have been looking for information at Amtrak.com and not finding anything. Before I make an involved search of Homeland Security or call Amtrak's customer service number I thought I'd post here.

Thanks,

Jester

I carry my meds in a seven or twenty-eight day container without any problem.

I have never heard of any luggage search on Amtrak. I always take my meds

in my carry on bag.

I carry my meds in a seven or twenty-eight day container without any problem.

I have never heard of any luggage search on Amtrak. I always take my meds

in my carry on bag.
Thanks. That has always been my practice and the folks at Amtrak with whom I just spoke knew of no change in their practice and knew of no "drug policy" beyond the guideline of the general "if you need medicine don't put it in checked baggage".

Jester

Do you know the name of the pharmacy? I mean, the one you used to get these prescriptions filled (maybe its the one you have used for years)? Though, as mentioned, it would be pretty unusual for a passenger to be questioned about such, but if you were, it would be easy enough for them to quickly verify you have a prescription by a simple call to that pharmacy.

The goon in Reno is still trying to badger occasional passengers into consenting to an illegal search, but stand your ground and he will slink away.

Don't worry it.

Many Amtrak passengers need and use multiple meds.

If your meds include "controlled substances" it might be prudent to have the original pill bottles or script, but --

Don't worry it.

Do you know the name of the pharmacy? I mean, the one you used to get these prescriptions filled (maybe its the one you have used for years)? Though, as mentioned, it would be pretty unusual for a passenger to be questioned about such, but if you were, it would be easy enough for them to quickly verify you have a prescription by a simple call to that pharmacy.
Yup. I carry a print out of the prescriptions made from the pharmacy's web site so both the prescribing doctors and pharmacy's contact info is shown.

Yup. I carry a print out of the prescriptions made from the pharmacy's web site so both the prescribing doctors and pharmacy's contact info is shown.
Yep, I carry a printout of the prescription. That has worked even when my baggage has been most thoroughly searched at some foreign airports, that are specifically looking for drug smugglers. And yes, always carry your medication in hand baggage.

Can you smoke some reefer in your room in Denver if you have a medical marijuana card?

Can you smoke some reefer in your room in Denver if you have a medical marijuana card?
No. Smoking of any kind, including e-cigs, is forbidden on Amtrak trains. They even mentioned medical marijuana specifically when we went through Colorado.

Sarah gave you good info but even if you have a pot med card it's still illegal in most states, and if you are riding the Zephyr and had it in your room or bags you'd probably get busted by Reno 911, aka The Keystone Cops!

Amtrak is very strict on the no smoking policy. Last Saturday I was on 164. We got to North Philadelphia they stopped and kicked someone off for smoking. The stop was all of 10 seconds.

I am a living example of better living through Chemistry taking nine meds twice a day. Mother used to proclaim "Drugs for the ugly, death for the old" so I am assuming I am part of the former.

I have never had any issues on Amtrak about the pharmacy that travels with me. I always thought I should be invited to the local CVS Christmas party for the volume of business I send them but that has not come to pass.

The trachea tube is rather a give away that my plumbing has been altered and if they want to dig deep I just whip out my peg tube.

The two week twice a day plastic contraption is my friend,,,,

Enjoy the journey !!!!

Yep, I carry a printout of the prescription.
I would add that if you have a controlled substance I would keep a photocopy of the original prescription document as well. If you're traveling to a foreign country bring originals of everything, including a signed note from your doctor with explanations for any controlled substances. No guarantees that this will keep you out of trouble but at least it gives you a chance. Thanks to Nancy's clueless "war on drugs" several countries adopted a zero tolerance approach to simple possession in return for financial assistance. As a result even a properly proscribed controlled substance can result in death, a single capsule of OTC remedies such as pseudoephedrine can land you in jail, and a thirty year old teenage conviction for smoking a joint can result in permanent exile. Unless and until the world comes to it senses on drug use you do not want to take any sort of drug possession lightly. Learn the law for the countries you're traveling to and through. That way even if you end up getting stranded at a connection point you're already prepared rather than risking a life altering result.

While it's legal in Colorado, Amtrak is governed by the Feds.
When it comes to controlled substance law so is Colorado. One change in directive from the USAG and here comes the crackdown.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, to summarize -

Amtrak can't and won't take responsibilty for keeping your meds refrigerated.

Any and all prescription meds are OK to take and use on Amtrak.

If any such meds are "controlled substances" it would be good to carry a copy of the authorized prescription with you, just in case.

Comments?

I don't have any controlled substance in my cache of prescription meds at present. But 9 years back there was a time when I did, and at that time I made sure to carry the controlled substance in the actual container in which it was obtained from the pharmacy, together with the actual prescription and the pharmacy printout associated with it. That was the extra precaution I took, and good thing too, because of all places the information came in handy during security check of hand baggage at Paris CDG!

OTOH, I have never been checked for anything on Amtrak. I guess I look too mundane and boring for anyone looking for drugs to bother me, both from the law enforcers and the law breakers angles. :)

And no smoking pot. Even in Colorado, Washington, and Washington, DC.

A relevant question would be THC oils for Chrones... Not legal in most states, but certainly a medicinal purpose that is not smoking, but still illegal Federally and in most states.

Georgia has legalized medicinal marijuana - but the transport of it in prescription quantities is still illegal.

This topic leads one to think that the transportation of legally prescribed drugs and substances will become a legal specialty, just like the transportation and possession of weapons.

Those who use marijuana for medical purposes ( and even recreational where it is legal or just a misdemeanor) best hope that the American people don't elect a President that is a fanatic about the "War on Drugs" like the public officials that created this hugely expensive,phoney and failed scam!

I like Amtrak's policy. Smoking of any kind produces cancerous tar fumes. People can put anything in their lungs that they wish but they are not entitled to make anyone else breathe the noxious fumes. As for Marijuana, legal or not; I think that the stuff is pure garbage.

I think that I may know why the physician or pharmacist made this recommendation - it is the law (in many states - no federal statute) that you have ALL of the prescription information with the prescribed drugs. So, if you can manage to make a copy of the prescription label, you may be covered under that requirement.

One of my co-workers just found this out the hard and expensive way. His wife was stopped for a traffic violation in Bosque County Texas by a deputy sheriff. A nosy Highway Patrol officer stopped by to "assist". He looked into the car and saw her opened purse. In her purse was a pill box - similar to what most people travel with. He decided that he needed to search the vehicle at that point. In that pill box was one pill that was not prescribed to my friends wife - it was his prescription for a sleep aid. This came to light as the HP officer emptied out the pill box on the hood and asked her specifically what each pill was. She also dutifully identified which ones were hers, and which ones belonged to her husband. They had just gotten back the night before from a weekend trip to Austin for a large church festival. At that point the HP officer stated that he was going to place her under arrest and have CPS come and take her kids. That was the point where she firmly stated that would not happen, and she called her husband to come pick up the kids. Luckily the deputy agreed with her since it was his stop - and they waited. Anyway, she went to jail, and it took a lot of time and money to a defense lawyer to get those charges dropped. It was all silliness to begin with. If my co-worker had left his prescription bottle in her purse, there would not have been any issue at all.

Anyway, this just goes to show the level of pettiness that some LEO's will stoop to. That new HP officer was fast gaining a reputation here in Bosque County, and many complaints by the locals were filed. Eventually the overzealous officer was reassigned.

Texas Controlled Substance, Drug, Device and Cosmetic Act

http://law.justia.com/codes/texas/2005/hs/006.00.000431.00.html

I think that 431.112 (f), (g) and (m) apply, but not sure (based on another law forums posting).

And, they may only apply to narcotics - but it would still be left open for prosecutorial discretion at the county level....

"Asset forfeiture" has turned most cops into borderline criminals. They want your stuff and will lie cheat and steal to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back