I saw my first Viewliner 2 baggage car in revenue service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was yesterday afternoon,when my MARC train pulled into Baltimore Penn station, the Silver Meteor was on the next track. As it pulled out, I saw they had a Viewliner 2 baggage car (and no Heritage baggage car) at the tail end. (They had an Amfleet cafe car behind that, I don't know what that was about.

Today, on my ride home from work, we got passed by a single-level LD train going North, I'm guessing it must have been a late Silver Star, and that train also had a viewliner 2 baggage car.

Now, when will they start delivering the dining cars?

That Cafe/Lounge car was deadheading to MIA for a photoshoot!

I was at the Aberdeen Proving Ground on Sunday and noticed an Amtrak train with a new locomotive on it, so I say, "Hmm, one of the ACS-64's." My brother and his wife look at me like, "What are you talking about?" You all may have been there already, but I am newby enough that this is the first time it happened to me.

Probably not for at least a year; same for the new Sleepers.
The new dining cars? There are 32 more baggage cars to be delivered. After that, if the unofficial reports are right, will come the dining cars. My guess is that we will see one or two dining cars ship for another round of testing by mid to late summer. Might be earlier than that if CAF is getting close to completing its delayed delivered of light rail cars for Houston. However, we already have a (long) thread on the Viewliner IIs and further speculation on possible delivery dates really should be in that thread.

Was lucky enough to catch both 48 & 49 within 15 minutes of each other at Rhinecliff this afternoon. New bags were on both. Their profile matches up pretty well with the sleepers.

Well they're the exact same shell (or supposed to be). Amtrak owns the Viewliner design, even if it is thirty years old, so they're just reusing the original specs with different interior modules.

I should be seeing one in person for the first time today (as well as an ACS-64), as I'm embarking on a trip NYP-ATL.

If my ancient phone can post here, maybe I'll add some numbers.

---PCJ

And here they are, nice and shiny in Orlando on the Silver Meteor!

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1428507887.959213.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1428507904.439303.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1428507919.957022.jpg

Saw 61034 at NYP just before pulling out behind Sprinter 628. No photos to post since this ancient LG VX11000 is barely handling posting on AU.

They have that funky "take the luggage out of the basement where I keep the raincoats" smell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back