Nighttime arrival to Chicago Union Station?taxi to hotel?reassure me

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KeepItGoing

My daughter and I are scheduled to arrive at Chicago's Union Station at 10:00 in the evening. We will need transportation to our hotel. Can I assume that it will be easy to get a taxi at that point?

I'm not crazy about the idea of arriving in the center of a strange city at night. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated!

There should be plenty of taxis. I consider the Chicago taxis system to be better than other large cities.

When you get in the station, ask for directions to the Jackson St door. There is a taxi stand right there. Jackson St is a one way street heading toward the loop and Mich Ave. Adams St is a one way in the other direction so the cab will have to go around the block...the meter is running. Always best to start out in the right direction!!

Grounded flyboy gave you good advice, he's a Chicago expert!

Watch out for the self appointed taxi "starters" ( street people) that hang out around the cab line and expect tips for opening the door for you!

If you have luggage you might want to consider using a Red Cap, they are Amtrak employees that work for tips and will take you from trainside to the station on a cart and then to your cab!

Just tell your car attendant when you arrive into Union Station you'd like a Red Cap!

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure to have pepper spray in each hand immediately upon stepping onto the platform, spraying as you walk, every 10 feet or so, while shouting "GET BACK! GET BACK!", as well as hissing periodically. Kidding....you'll be fine. Chicago has a surfeit of taxis and a fairly well organized stand on Canal St.

Make sure to have pepper spray in each hand immediately upon stepping onto the platform, spraying as you walk, every 10 feet or so, while shouting "GET BACK! GET BACK!", as well as hissing periodically. Kidding....you'll be fine. Chicago has a surfeit of taxis and a fairly well organized stand on Orleans St.
You mean Canal St?

Screen Shot 2015-03-31 at 11.09.50 AM.png

What Sarah said. Canal St is on the western side of CUS. Ride up the escalators to the Canal exit and the cabs are all there. Canal is northbound there. I ride that escalator every time I take the train to the Symphony (about once a month). Very easy, and at 10PM very safe. It's a busy place.

Leaving passenger area - when you see Amtrak ticketing - there are escalators there - on other side are elevators. Take either of these - you will be taken to a set of doors - exit and you will be were you need to be for taxi line. You should have no problems that time of night catching a cab to hotel.

I recommend using the services of a Red Cap. They will take you from train side, if you have checked luggage to the area where you can retrieve your luggage (the Red Cap will wait while you do so), and directly to the taxis. That is what I did and I am truly glad I did so!

About 6 weeks ago we were walking around downtown Chicago at 10pm, this was in the State Street area. Have to say it felt relaxed and safe although as always in a big city there will always be street people. On this trip we visited 7 major US cities and were approached many many times by various 'street people' probably was more so than usual as we were using public transport only for the entire journey. Never once did we feel threatened and twice we were apologised to by people asking for money.

But as always be aware and trust your instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back