Any suggestions for my coast to coast trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

this May I will finally make a trip that I planned in my mind (and dreams) for years: US coast to coast by train! :)
I've always used train as my main transportation system here in Italy, but US is so much bigger... Anyway I'm really eager to start!

Here's my itinerary and some doubts I have, if you have any suggestions they are really welcomed!

I'll arrive in NYC around the end of May and stay there a few days. Then:

Day 1: NYP-WAS (no idea which train to take, maybe Cardinal early in the morning?)
night in Washington
Day 2: WAS-CHI on the Capitol Limited
Day 3-4: Chicago
Day 5-6: CHI-ABQ on the Southwest Chief (I loved Breaking Bad, I cannot pass by Albuquerque and not stop :p )
Day 7: ABQ-FLG on the Southwest Chief
night in Flagstaff
Day 8: FLG-LAX on the Southwest Chief after visiting Grand Canyon (do you think is feasible in one day?)
Day 9-10-11: Los Angeles
Day 12: LAX-EMY on the Coast Starlight and then bus to SF

My trip will end in San Francisco where, after a few days, a boring plane will take me back to Europe :p

So here's my doubts:
- to Rail pass or not to Rail Pass? :) I could buy the 15 days one (459$) but, as today, buying single tickets for each segment on the Amtrak website would cost 451$ total. Is there any reason to prefer the pass? If I've understood correctly I'd have to write to Amtrak to reserve every single segment too...

- about checked baggage (something we don't have here in trains): is it mandatory or only for convenience? What if I'm taking a train without checked baggage service, can I bring my luggage inside? I think I'll travel with a big backpack (that I'd ideally check in) and a small one (to keep with me).

- how does reserved seats work? Here when I buy a ticket I can choose the place where will I seat (and get a seat number). In Amtrak, if I've understood correctly, you don't get a predefined seat. So, basically, it's a first come-first served policy? If so, how much time in advance should arrive in the station to choose the best seats?

What do you think? I've planned this trip based on information I gathered on internet (mostly on this website), any suggestion from people who actually traveled this routes would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Concerning your questions about:

Baggage: no, you may bring your luggage on board. See the Amtrak system timetable at its beginning guidelines in the early pages for particulars about restrictions. www.anmtrak.com

Grand Canyon: to do it in a day, you have the option of renting a car, or signing up for a tour out of Flagstaff. But it is doable, and the tour company will pick you up at your hotel.

If individual tickets cost less, why pay more? :huh: Book now to get those fares! (There is no penalty to change dates.)

Checking baggage is only a convenience on Amtrak. You do not need to utilize it if you do not wish to do so. All trains except your first one are 2 level cars. On those, there is a luggage rack next to the door you enter where you can place your bags. There is also an open luggage rack above your seat. (The first train has the luggage rack above your seat and additional space at the end of the car.)

Seats (if they do get assigned) will be assigned as you enter the train. It doesn't matter if you get to the station 20 minutes early, 2 hours early or 20 hours early! It still will be as you enter the train.

If you "just want to see the Grand Canyon", 1 day may be enough. But I would allot much more time.

Enjoy your holiday!

Day 1: NYP-WAS (no idea which train to take, maybe Cardinal early in the morning?)
Unfortunately, you can't take the Cardinal from New York to Washington -- the first stop that's not "receive-only" is Manassas, Virginia, the second stop past Washington.

The other long-distance trains on the route (the Crescent, Silver Meteor, and Silver Star) are "receive-only" up to Alexandria, Virginia, the first stop past Washington.

But it's probably best to just take a Northeast Regional train.

Wonderful trip! Just a few suggestions and ideas for your trip:

NYP-WAS As was said, take a Regional train or if the Cost isn't too much higher for a unique experience ( Amtrak operates a Supply and Demand System called " Buckets") ride the Acela in Business Class ( First Class includes Food and Drinks but is Very Pricey!!)

Albuqurque isn't really anything special, sort of an ugly town! (its hot and dusty in the Summer and Cold in the Winter!) Consider spending the night t in Flagstaff or Williams Junction and going to the Grand Canyon, one day isn't really enough for the Canyon! Lots of options for this!!

When you ride the Coast Starlight from LA to the Bay Area book a Roomette, it will include use of the Metro Lounge in Union Station, Lunch and Dunner in the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC) or Diner, but the Parlour Car is the way to go for Old Time Railroading!!!

The Bay Area has tons of stuff to see and do, when you're ready for the Airport use BART ( Rail) from Downtown to the Airport!

Also check into booking a Roomette on the Washington to Chicago leg on the Cap Ltd. #29 if its affordable,it includes Dinner and Breakfast in the Diner and use of the Club Acela in Union Station while waiting!

And if you can afford it, booking a Roomette from CHI to Flagstaff or Williams Junction is also worthwhile for the 2 Days and night, it includes Meals, Shower, Private Room wLay flat Bed and use of the Metro Lounge in Chicago!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak baggage checking is available on most trains, as a service, but they provide ample resources if you want to carry your bag on board and have it available during your trip. If you wish to use checked baggage service, you will need to arrive at the station early enough to check your bag in and have it loaded on the train. I have never bothered to check a bag -- I usually travel with a roller case and a small backpack. I stow the roller case in the rack near the door as I enter the train, and the small backpack always fits in the rack that is above all the seats in coach.

Many car attendants will assign seats as you board the train (and you may only board when it's announced your train number is "ready for boarding"). Sometimes you are allowed to choose your own seat, as long as you obey the signs they put out designating certain seating so groups may sit together.

The Southwest Chief is a wonderful train, great scenery. If you watch carefully out the right side of the train as you approach Lamy, NM (the stop before Albuquerque), you can spot some off-grid homes powered by solar panels. I am sure some people in Italy have solar power at mountain chalets, but these are quite different. They date from the "back-to-the-land" movement of the 1970s, and the solar power systems may be some of the earliest installed when the technology became widely available in the 1980s.

I love to visit Los Angeles. I always take public transit if I need to go around town (Here's the LA transit planner). I enjoy visiting Chinatown (just a few blocks from LA Union Station where the train comes in). In fact, I last time we were there, Hubby and I stayed in a fairly inexpensive motel in Chinatown. It was a cultural experience, as we were the only non-Chinese speakers in the hotel. But it was clean and friendly, and fit our budget. We found lots of wonderful fresh food available in the neighborhood (and everyone's favorite Philippe's is just down the hill!).

Albuqurque isn't really anything special, sort of an ugly town!
Yeah but he wants to do the Breaking Bad tour, which I can't argue with. My wife and I kind of wished we had more time in ABQ when we stopped there on the SWC for that reason too. We made sure we at least got a pic of the station sign.

1 day is about right to visit all the major featured places in the show, and get some pics. Just please, do NOT throw a pizza on top of Walter White's house. Vince Gilligan himself has asked tourists to refrain: http://www.avclub.com/article/vince-gilligan-says-quit-throwing-pizzas-roof-brea-216436

Hi Charex:

What is being referred to here...

Unfortunately, you can't take the Cardinal from New York to Washington -- the first stop that's not "receive-only" is Manassas, Virginia, the second stop past Washington.
...are the stations on the timetable annotated with either a D, L or R to the left of their arrival times. Explanations for those codes can be found on the timetables: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/641/445/Cardinal-Hoosier-State-Schedule-060914,0.pdf In other words, you can board the Cardinal in Washington D.C. but you cannot get off at Washington D.C. because it has an R code.

I think that may mean if there's nobody there to board the train the train doesn't even stop. And it won't stop merely to let you off. But if there is somebody there to board the train and the train stops to let them board - I guess that means you can't get off. I guess. Seems a bit odd to me but so do many other things.

If you only want to spend 23 hours or Less in DC you can do it as a free stopover and pay the through NYP-CHI fare, that's nearly how much NYP-DC costs.

Oh, the Grand Canyon. Did it in one day using a rental car from Flagstaff. Went North out of Flagstaff to the East Entrance of the Park, drove the length of the park stopping about 6 times, departed the park at the West end and about 190 miles (300km) and 10 hours later we were back in Flagstaff. But we were there in February and there were very few visitors. May should have more visitors which equates to more traffic and more time needed - or fewer sights seen.

If you're a fan of the old "Route 66" TV show we had, Flagstaff is infested with places catering to its afficiandos who go there to revel in its by-gone glory. But I don't think there would be any 1961 Corvettes available as rentals.

I think I would cry if I were allowed to visit the Grand Canyon for only one day.

If you decide to take an extra day there, I don't think you'll regret it.

I just remembered: you could get off at Williams, go to the hotel, and the next day take the train up to the Canyon and back on the Grand Canyon Railway[ www.thetrain.com ], then continue your trip west. Their are various levels of service on this train, also. I've done that one in a single day. They have train/hotel packages, as well.

Wow, I wasn't expecting so many answers... thank you! :)

After reading them I've decided (after a "studying" session on the internet) that Grand Canyon deserves more than one day, so I will skip Albuquerque (sorry Walter!) and sleep one night in the park. I love nature and taking picture, I can imagine I'd get better ones in the park ;) Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Since train is stopping 50 mins in ABQ, do you think it would be possible to get off and take a short tour? Too dangerous?

Hi Charex:

What is being referred to here...

...are the stations on the timetable annotated with either a D, L or R to the left of their arrival times. Explanations for those codes can be found on the timetables: http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/641/445/Cardinal-Hoosier-State-Schedule-060914,0.pdf In other words, you can board the Cardinal in Washington D.C. but you cannot get off at Washington D.C. because it has an R code.

I think that may mean if there's nobody there to board the train the train doesn't even stop. And it won't stop merely to let you off. But if there is somebody there to board the train and the train stops to let them board - I guess that means you can't get off. I guess. Seems a bit odd to me but so do many other things.
Ah! Now I understand why the Cardinal wasn't showing up in the results for a ticket NYP-WAS...

Amtrak baggage checking is available on most trains, as a service, but they provide ample resources if you want to carry your bag on board and have it available during your trip. If you wish to use checked baggage service, you will need to arrive at the station early enough to check your bag in and have it loaded on the train. I have never bothered to check a bag -- I usually travel with a roller case and a small backpack. I stow the roller case in the rack near the door as I enter the train, and the small backpack always fits in the rack that is above all the seats in coach.

Many car attendants will assign seats as you board the train (and you may only board when it's announced your train number is "ready for boarding"). Sometimes you are allowed to choose your own seat, as long as you obey the signs they put out designating certain seating so groups may sit together.

The Southwest Chief is a wonderful train, great scenery. If you watch carefully out the right side of the train as you approach Lamy, NM (the stop before Albuquerque), you can spot some off-grid homes powered by solar panels. I am sure some people in Italy have solar power at mountain chalets, but these are quite different. They date from the "back-to-the-land" movement of the 1970s, and the solar power systems may be some of the earliest installed when the technology became widely available in the 1980s.

I love to visit Los Angeles. I always take public transit if I need to go around town (Here's the LA transit planner). I enjoy visiting Chinatown (just a few blocks from LA Union Station where the train comes in). In fact, I last time we were there, Hubby and I stayed in a fairly inexpensive motel in Chinatown. It was a cultural experience, as we were the only non-Chinese speakers in the hotel. But it was clean and friendly, and fit our budget. We found lots of wonderful fresh food available in the neighborhood (and everyone's favorite Philippe's is just down the hill!).
So, basically, even entering first on the train I won't be sure to sit where I want? I'm thinking of routes where being on one side it's better (like the Coast Starlight I imagine)... I hope assistants won't be too severe :)

Thanks for the hints for the SWC, I've noted them :) About solar panels, we have sun but very few of them, north-european are better at this (even if they have less sunny days...).

I've also noted the infos for LA, thanks! So do you think it's possible to move in LA only with public transportation? I've read a lot of people suggesting to rent a car as LA is too big...

Albuqurque isn't really anything special, sort of an ugly town!
Yeah but he wants to do the Breaking Bad tour, which I can't argue with. My wife and I kind of wished we had more time in ABQ when we stopped there on the SWC for that reason too. We made sure we at least got a pic of the station sign.

1 day is about right to visit all the major featured places in the show, and get some pics. Just please, do NOT throw a pizza on top of Walter White's house. Vince Gilligan himself has asked tourists to refrain: http://www.avclub.com/article/vince-gilligan-says-quit-throwing-pizzas-roof-brea-216436
I'm Italian, I won't waste a good pizza like this! :p

If you only want to spend 23 hours or Less in DC you can do it as a free stopover and pay the through NYP-CHI fare, that's nearly how much NYP-DC costs.
Interesting, I didn't know about that. My plan was to arrive early in the morning in WAS and leaving the afternoon of the day after, so more than 24h, but I'll check anyway, thanks.

Concerning the "R" stop: I think it depends on the route. Poughkeepsie, NY used to be an "R" stop for Amtrak trains out of Penn, and a "D" stop for New York-bound trains. However, I've seen commuters get on and off Amtrak trains in spite of the restrictions. I guess they figured that if the commuter wanted to pay a premium price, why not. I suspect, though, that the ticket read Rhinecliff, and not Poughkeepsie. Amtrak eventually lifted the restrictions in commuter territory, with one exception: the Lake Shore Limited.

I would skip DC and take the Cardinal all the way to Chi. It has the best scenery in the east all though it is far from quick,,,,

For the Grand Canyon, it may sound obvious, but take at least some time to hike INTO it (and remember it takes longer to hike out than in.)

I've seen far too many tourists that stay on the edge and observe it, but never get below the Rim.

If you've only got the one night and no camping gear, I'd recommend descending to the 1.5 mile or 3 mile hut and back.

If you have camping gear, try to get a permit now (don't wait) and descend to Indian Gardens for the night.

While the Cardinal Viewliner consist does not include an observation/sightseer car, the Coast Starlight does.

The Cardinal does have a Viewliner II lounge/dining car. I've not yet been in one of those cars bet I suspect lounge seats are first come.

Seating in a Superliner Sightseer Lounge (SSL) car is on a first come basis.

The Coast Starlight has a second type of observation car, the Pacific Parlour car.

The PPC car is reserved for those having sleeper berth accommodations. The PPC car has AmtrakConnect W-Fi.

You can more info about train routes that have a Route Guide .pdf file you can download.

In other words, you can board the Cardinal in Washington D.C. but you cannot get off at Washington D.C. because it has an R code.

At Washington, the long-distance trains must stop to switch engines? Aren't all locomotives electric north of WAS and diesel south?

Yes, they are, and they must switch locomotives at WAS. Still, you can not purchase a ticket on the Cardinal from NYP to WAS. You need to ride one of the Regionals or Acela - which run at least every hour.

In other words, you can board the Cardinal in Washington D.C. but you cannot get off at Washington D.C. because it has an R code.

At Washington, the long-distance trains must stop to switch engines? Aren't all locomotives electric north of WAS and diesel south?
Simply put, at Washington, the train will stop. You can not buy a ticket to get off there, but no one is going to forcibly keep you on either.

I have in the past taken advantage of the fact that the first discharge stop on the LSL out of NYC is Schenectady and booked through to there (using reward points from ATL) and gotten off in Albany. The sleeping car attendant wasn't surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back