Involved In Train Accidents

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the Palmetto out of Tampa, FL (when it served Tampa years ago) heading north. Everything seemed normal - then we slowed, abruptly, and stopped for no apparent reason. We were subsequently informed we hit a truck that was (stuck) on a grade crossing. No injuries on the train - didn't hear about the truck driver and we were told the engineer was not injured. We were stopped for a while (I don't recall how long exactly) and continued on after a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my younger college days, I almost smacked into the side of a freight train at night at a grade crossing with no lights. The loco had already passed some time ago, and it was very very dark. The only way I knew a train was on the tracks was by seeing the flickering of street lights between the rail cars. That is about the closest brush with death I've ever come to and that was 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

On board, though, I've been fortunate. The only thing resembling an incident was on the Southwest Bound Texas Eagle at around midnight somewhere in the Ozarks or southern Missouri hills. We ran over a tire that was set in between the rails and it took out the brakes. 15 minutes later, we were on our way.

My daughter, on the other hand, has been on the Palmetto when they had to stop it to release a disorderly passenger trying to stow away in a sold out Business Class with a coach ticket. I usually reserve judgement on someone being drunk as I once had the Highway Patrol in Texas pull over what I thought was a drunk driver. Came to discover that he was really a diabetic suffering from shock. He was stone sober, but his sugars were spiked. Still a danger to driving, so I didn't feel bad about him getting stopped. But sometimes, a medical condition can emulate a self-imposed state of disorientation and, well, drunkeness.

Reason for asking.....we are a little over a month away from our first long distance (or any distance for that matter) AMTRAK experience and my wife is quite apprehensive after all the new coverage of the terrible accidents that have been happening.
I wouldn't worry about it. . You are by far more safe in the train than in your own car or airline. Just go and enjoy the trip!

Hate to say it as much as I am, but flying remains the safest form of transport. Rail is second, intercity bus is third, and your car of course comes in forth. Why is flying safest? No risk of collisions in the air, wide open spaces. But yeah it may not FEEL safest when you are in the air, but your odds dying in an airliner accident are I believe 1 to 1 million. Not sure what it is for rail, but I'd guess 1 to 500,000.
This what I was thinking and didn't say it in the right way? I was meaning to say IF something did happen, you have a higher chance of having injury of some type in a car or bus, and maybe death on some airplane if they did crash.

I was on #5, in Glenwood Canyon right B4 Christmas, I wanna say 1988(?) In the diner, chewing the fat with the crew, and another railfan, (all I remember is that he was an NFL referee) so scanners and radios were everywhere. As I recall, the diner was towards the rear of the train. (prolly just separating the coaches and sleepers like now)

I was going to take the Pioneer to Oregon, but we never made it out of the canyon. We heard the engineer YELL "...@#$^ BIG HOLE" which we all knew meant he'd just put the train into emergency.

A few seconds later it was bumpity-bumpity-bumpity over the RR ties, and then stop. Lights out (HEP became disconnected mid-train) We were kind of at a scary side-ways tip, with the rock wall to our left, and the Colorado River to our right, our VERY, VERY, CLOSE right. (it was magnified by angle that the Superliner was tipped. But I tell ya, it wasn't too far down to the river, and it was a pretty steep embankment. VERY similar to THIS PHOTO.

We could see the road across the river, or at least headlights, cause this happened after diner if I recall. And there we sat, for hours.

The D&RGW cobbled together a "rescue train" made up of existing cabooses, I mean it was a whole train of cabooses and flatcars, and camp cars. (cause they sent a crew in too) But it was daylight B4 that train backed towards us. I do remember that the cabooses had kerosene heaters, fired up for warmth, in them.

The most negative thing I remember was some STOOPID attorney-passenger going car-to-car, handing out his business cards. I followed him for three or four cars, and was telling people "DON'T TRUST THIS AMBULANCE CHASER" God I was pissed off.

NO ONE was injured as I recall. Shaken, scared, nervous, but that was about it. I'm sure someone "twisted an ankle" or something walking along the ballast from the Zephyr to the work train, but the D&RGW employees basically made a "tunnel" of employees to guide the pax to the cabooses.

When we got to Gleenwood Springs, we got on Motorcoaches, and headed back to Denver Union Station. There Amtrak personnel handed us CASH, and an airline ticket to our final destination.

For a railfan it was exciting, not too scary after things settled down, and very, very interesting.

That morning we rode the Motorcoaches back to Denver, we traveled the same highway we had seen across the river from the train, and saw the work train in the process of cleaning #5's cars from the track.

Almost ten years earlier to the day, I was leaving Aspen, CO on a GreyLine bus to Glenwood Springs, and the bus was head-on'd by a pick-up truck, killing the driver, and injuring most of us on the bus. When I regained consciousness, I remember pushing out the emergency window on the bus, to drop down to the ground. The bus was in a ditch, so it was quite a long drop, but nothing like the pax on # 5 from the Superliner must have had on Friday................

Needless to say, and others have heard this from me before, I am not ever flying into Glenwood Springs!
What caused the first accident?

I was on the Texas eagle in may of 2008. we were just outside SAS when we hit a SUV that went around the gates. Were on final approach so speed was slow but the car ended up in a ditch totaled. both people in the car survived.
No clue, I never researched it. We didn't hit a vehicle, that's for sure, no grade X on that side of river. Could only speculate. It was kind of neat to watch the news coverage of it though, back in Denver. It was pre-cell phone days, so my relatives were a little worried, as they knew my itinerary.
I found the NTSB report here(warning: PDF format). From reading the report, it was exactly what the engineer said: a "...@#$^ BIG HOLE" caused by a landslide.
WOW, thanks, I never thought to look. Interesting. For NFL fans, I did remember the Ref's first name. Wendell.

Er, on second read, sounds similar, but I'm pretty sure it was 1987, 88 or 89, at the latest, and I can't find anything about it. Will look in my old scrapbook.

Even though the train derailed, that doesn't mean the NTSB investigated, since there were no serious injuries, correct?

Does the FRA have a similar reporting section, that's EZ to use? Only one I can find returns data in Access, which I can't even spell.

I'm searching for December, 1988, Colorado, Amtrak, derailment.

Anyone help me?

EDIT: Found it, over at the FRA pages, accident searches.

Why is flying safest? No risk of collisions in the air, wide open spaces.
And yet it still happens. Repeatedly.
Mid-air collisions are extremely rare, almost vanishingly small. There are between 10 and 20 a year and that includes runway incursions, which in my mind is hardly mid-air. That is out of about 25 million flights per year. That is a rate of one per 1,250,000.

Riding #6 just east of Denver a few years back, the train ran over a mother and her 2 year old. Awful, awful.

Mid-air collisions are extremely rare, almost vanishingly small. There are between 10 and 20 a year and that includes runway incursions, which in my mind is hardly mid-air. That is out of about 25 million flights per year. That is a rate of one per 1,250,000.
I didn't say it wasn't rare. I said it happens. Repeatedly. Which it does. Off the top of my head there was a very well publicized mid-air collision in 2002 between a DHL flight and some Russian airline that killed 70+ over Germany. Big story. ATC found at fault. ATC employee subsequently murdered by father of crash victim. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more recent examples but that's the the one that sticks out in my mind. I'm not trying to say that flying is unsafe. I'm merely pointing out that "no risk" may not be the most precise term to use for something that has already occurred repeatedly.

I didn't say it wasn't rare. I said it happens. Repeatedly. Which it does. Off the top of my head there was a very well publicized mid-air collision in 2002 between a DHL flight and some Russian airline that killed 70+ over Germany. Big story. ATC found at fault. ATC employee subsequently murdered by father of crash victim. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more recent examples but that's the the one that sticks out in my mind. I'm not trying to say that flying is unsafe. I'm merely pointing out that "no risk" may not be the most precise term to use for something that has already occurred repeatedly.
OK, I get it and I agree. Actual there is no activity in this life that is no risk. I know, I spent part of my working life making engineering risk assessments and part of my volunteer life making Urban Search and Rescue risk assessments.

Yes, in addition to ATC problem there was a pilot training problem involved specifically for the pilot of the Russian plane. For some reason the pilot chose to ignore the TCAS RA (Resolution Advisory) and followed the, as it turned out, erroneous instructions from ATC, which is exactly the opposite of what he is supposed to do. In general a TCAS RA takes precedence over everything else since TCAS knows the location of all planes with transponders and the advisory takes all their positions and vectors into account.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_%C3%9Cberlingen_mid-air_collision for details.

You can see a list of midair collisions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midair_collision#List_of_notable_civilian_mid-air_collisions

Midair collisions involving commercial airliners are relatively rare.

While on our round-the-country trip we (myself, wife, 11 yr old son and 9 yr old daughter) made, stuck a car in New Mexico. We were on the Sunset Ltd on July 18, 2000 leaving the Deming, NM station. He made it up to 73mph when the train slowed quickly to a stop. The conductor asked the engineer what was happening (I had a scanner and still have the notes I took on this trip) and he replied that they just hit a vehicle on the main track. He said he managed to slow the train down to 30-40mph before hitting it. The train pushed the car about 1/4 mile before stopping so there was concern about track damage. We learned later from our car attendant that the driver of the car was drunk and was swerving all over I-10 and bouncing off other cars, before driving off the highway and getting stuck on the tracks. The driver was out of the car when the train hit it, so no injuries.

A tow truck was called to hook onto the car so the train could back up and dislodge it. We heard the engineer joke about wondering how far he would pull the wrecker if the car was really stuck to the front of the train. Fortunately the P40 and car came apart easily. The train backed up so the track could be inspected, but everything was fine. We did get some gasoline odor in the sleeper while we were parked, but we found staying in the rooms with the doors closed was the best way to get fresh air.

The car was small 4 door and as we rolled past it, we could see the entire rear end was smashed up to the B-pillar. Once given the highball signal the train gained some speed then did a short brake test and finally back up to full speed. The entire delay was about 1.5 hours. Our car attendant said that if someone had been hurt we could have been there for 6 hours or so and a fatality could be as long as 24 hours.

Dave

Interesting thread. Thanks for digging it up.

As far as mid-air airplane collision incidents.

I was living in San Diego September 25, 1978 when PSA flight 182 and a small private plane collided and crashed.

I lived just east across I-805 only 1/4 of a mile from where 192 and the private plane crashed.

I don't know if this counts, but on Sunday, March 1st in the evening, the brakes on my sleeper car failed. Smoke filled the car, but it wasn't awful. Our SCA opened the windows to get fresh air while the train was stopped east of Albuquerque so the engineers could do a break check. This was on the SWC #3.

We then proceeded to go to Albuquerque where they did a complete inspection and fixed the brakes. We were there for a few hours. Once the brakes were fixed, we were told a freight train derailed between Flagstaff and Kingman (I think thats the name of the town, I'm new to trains, so we continued to Flagstaff, detained there and hopped on busses to reach another SWC on the other side of Kingman.

I hope I am remembering that correctly.

Last night on the SWC#4 we were stopped in Garden City, Kansas and had to evacuate due to a bomb threat. I'll admit it, I was a little nervous when they were ushering us off the train. Some SCAS were very calm (like mine), but others had their PAX upset.

I'm hoping that's all of the adventure I'll ever have on an Amtrak train. Since this trip was my first ever in the train world, I'm hoping that I used up all of my bad luck and every trip now on will be wonderful. :)

I don't know if this counts, but on Sunday, March 1st in the evening, the brakes on my sleeper car failed. Smoke filled the car, but it wasn't awful. Our SCA opened the windows to get fresh air while the train was stopped east of Albuquerque so the engineers could do a break check. This was on the SWC #3.

We then proceeded to go to Albuquerque where they did a complete inspection and fixed the brakes. We were there for a few hours. Once the brakes were fixed, we were told a freight train derailed between Flagstaff and Kingman (I think thats the name of the town, I'm new to trains, so we continued to Flagstaff, detained there and hopped on busses to reach another SWC on the other side of Kingman.

I hope I am remembering that correctly.

Last night on the SWC#4 we were stopped in Garden City, Kansas and had to evacuate due to a bomb threat. I'll admit it, I was a little nervous when they were ushering us off the train. Some SCAS were very calm (like mine), but others had their PAX upset.

I'm hoping that's all of the adventure I'll ever have on an Amtrak train. Since this trip was my first ever in the train world, I'm hoping that I used up all of my bad luck and every trip now on will be wonderful. :)
You certainly are having an adventure on the trains, aren't you. Glad to see you're not turned off about riding trains in the future. It can only get better I hope

Old thread but as long as it's been brought back, I'll post mine.

My worst accident was not on an Amtrak train, but an excursion train when I was a kid, using old heavyweight equipment and a steam engine. Somehow a switch got flipped as my car was going over it and we ended up half on one track and half on another. Train kept going like that for a little ways until we smacked into another steam engine sitting on the track we were half on. I don't remember this specifically but apparently the headlight smashed my window and broken glass rained down on me. I remember I got my mouth all cut up; I think I didn't realize I had glass in it.

I have one photo of the accident from the outside; I am not sure how I got it, but maybe one of my family members was watching.

Not sure if this counts, but I have been on a subway train that ran somebody over. I was in the first car, we felt a strange bump (didn't feel like a bump in the rail), then the train went into emergency stop and the engineer literally *ran* out of the cab back several cars. We ended up being there for about 2 hours and then had to walk backwards over the spot where the guy was.

On Amtrak, I haven't had any real accidents but I was on a train once (it must have been the CZ or SWC) that had an engine fire that consumed the entire locomotive. It was fully engulfed in flames. Delayed us about 5 hours and then whatever railroad we were on - I think SP - sent some helper engines to take its place. I think it was an F40 and they replaced it with something like 7 GP9's. It was a wild sight, we had like one engine for every car.

And this also was maybe only *technically* an accident but on my recent trip on the SWC we hit some track debris that yanked a brake line off the car ahead of us and put the train into emergency stop. That is a weird feeling, to be asleep at 79mph and suddenly feel emergency braking. I somehow managed to stay in the bed but I knew nothing good had happened. We were delayed about 4 hours while they replaced the brake line.

The worst part of delays in these situations is that they cut the power. So no light, no ventilation, no bathrooms. I think when I was on the train with the engine fire, they actually let us off to mill around and get some fresh air (in the middle of the desert), but that was in the 1980's when liability wasn't quite the concern it is now. On the SWC a few weeks ago, we just had to sit there in the dark and silence and hope for the best.

Anyone who rides long enough will be on a train with a "trespasser incident". My one time was pretty uneventful, but I did get a good look at the Fremont Police and one Union Pacific Police special agent. One time the conductor went out to investigate and before we took off announced that it was merely a "near miss".

Mmm. I was on a train which hit someone who wasn't a trespasser. I've actually been waiting to see the results of the NTSB investigation.

Not sure this counts, but I had a *Final Destination* moment on June 24, 2011. Riding the CZ from CHI to SLC in coach, we were running a few hours late. I was on a tour with Vacations By Rail, so we got off in SLC to head north to the Nat'l. Parks. This same train I got off of was the one involved in a terrible collision with a semi near Elko, NV late the next morning. There were multiple fatalities, including a beloved conductor, Laurette Lee. There is a Facebook page devoted to this crash, and its survivors. [/www.facebook.com/pages/Amtrak-California-Zephyr-Memorial-Page-Reno-Nevada-Wreck-June-24-2011/111261422300095?sk=info&tab=page_info]. I call it a FD moment, because I had been riding in coach, just one car beyond the one that was gutted by the semi. My kids were going crazy until they connected with me via phone in SLC....being afraid that I'd missed my stop and was still on that train. A bit ironic that the original post of this topic is dated June 26, 2011........

Back in may 2008 on train 21/421 finale approach to SAS hit a SUV that went around the both occupants survived. Only delayed a hour if that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back