Dining car menu question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That salad dressing packet is large enough for two salads!
The extra goes great on the Baked Potato or Veggies. I usually dump 1 packet on the Salad and use another to doctor the Meal sides. Then hold on to that Dinner Roll for mop up duty and turn back a clean dry plate :)
Bachelor_Chow.jpg

I hate to admit it but I've done this several times as well. Otherwise the diner tastes too much like hospital food.

On the SWC a week or two ago, that's exactly what the side salad looked like. No carrots or anything, so maybe that hasn't quite rolled out everywhere yet. We did have to ask for our (first) salads.

My wife and I met a guy in the lounge car who was traveling all the way from NY to LA in coach. By his story, we could tell that he was not particularly well off, was actually between jobs, and was trying to save money to start a new life in LA. By chance we later were seated with him in the dining car; it was his only dining car meal, because he told us he just wanted "something good" for once over his three day trip. He ordered the steak and also a salad, which they charged him extra for. His total bill came to something like $34, which we actually felt bad about.

Anyway, the attendants are much more liberal with sleeping car passengers vs. coach passengers. They didn't really bother keeping track of what my wife and I were eating and they gave us extras of several things (rolls, soda, offering an extra salad), but they tallied up every last thing our tablemate had. If you're a sleeping car passenger, I don't think you'd notice much in the way of cutbacks or price increases. But coach passengers would.

Personally I think the diner crews tend to treat coach passengers rather poorly. I realize that may not be a common view on the forum but I've felt bad about the way coach passengers were treated in the diner many times over many years. The snack bar is generally pretty friendly to just about anyone who's buying but the diner acts like they're going out of their way to accept coach passengers and even looking for ways to turn them away with passive aggressive behavior. At this point coach passengers are paying serious money for a surprisingly mediocre meal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think the diner crews tend to treat coach passengers rather poorly. I realize that may not be a common view on the forum but I've felt bad about the way coach passengers were treated in the diner many times over many years. The snack bar is generally pretty friendly to just about anyone who's buying but the diner acts like they're going out of their way to accept coach passengers and even looking for ways to turn them away with passive aggressive behavior. At this point coach passengers are paying serious money for a surprisingly mediocre meal.
Yeah, I've seen this passive-aggressive behavior. It's unacceptable and I've reported it to Customer Relations.

As many times as I've eaten in the Diner, including as a Coach pax I have never seen the Diner Staff act rudely towards Coach pax, at least no more rudely than to Sleeper pax :) Though one time a Coach pax sneaked out without paying (maybe thinking they didn't have to after seeing Sleeper pax walk away without paying) but quickly and as far as I know politely the LSA tracked them down and settled up.

What's the attitude of staff to passengers eating in roomettes? Are the offended by the request and extra work?
That's one of your SCA's required duties when you request meals or snacks to be served in your room; tips are customary for this service! They do appreciate being flexible in your times since they have others to serve along with their other duties as Ryan said!

Forgive me please if anyone thinks this is a rude comment, but why would one purposely choose to dine in a Roomette unless they absolutely needed to do so?

The space is so confined. The "table" provided for service of anything, let alone a meal, is so small. For me, it would be the very last thing I would ask my Sleeping Car Attendant to do.

Forgive me please if anyone thinks this is a rude comment, but why would one purposely choose to dine in a Roomette unless they absolutely needed to do so?

The space is so confined. The "table" provided for service of anything, let alone a meal, is so small. For me, it would be the very last thing I would ask my Sleeping Car Attendant to do.
Off the top of my head: social anxiety, having a cold/flu, and working on a deadline (business or school).

Actually, I know a few people who don't have social anxiety but still hate being forced to make small talk with strangers, so that would be a fourth reason.

Off the top of my head: social anxiety, having a cold/flu, and working on a deadline (business or school).

Actually, I know a few people who don't have social anxiety but still hate being forced to make small talk with strangers, so that would be a fourth reason.
I don't have a problem with dining in the roomette either although the bedroom would be better.

In our case, my wife's mobility situation prevented her from going to the diner if it was more than one car away.

Is the fish breaded or served with a sauce?

thanks
Check out what the SWC Dining car menu says about the fish:

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/384/533/Southwest-Chief-Dining-Car-Menu-1014.pdf

Two grill-marked tilapia fillets, served with three grain rice pilaf and a vegetable medley, with a side of parsely pesto sauce.
I'll do you one better... I'll show you what the fish looks like and it's nutritional facts (if you want to know these things).

AMTRAK-10.15.14-32.jpg

If you haven't been yet, amtrakfoodfacts.com is rather interesting.

Soooo, there used to be a few tricks when ordering meals out, that would supposedly, in theory, help you get a "better cut" or "fresher" whatever it is you were ordering from the kitchen....

Examples include:

• Order poached eggs, they HAVE to use the fresher egg, cause older, aged eggs, don't poach as well...
  • If you like your steak med to well, order RARE, then ask to temp up, "guarantees" you won't get steak that was already par-cooked.
  • Iceberg "wedge" vs. tossed sald. (I've actually used this several times in land-based restaurants, the waiter always has to "check with the kitchen", but I'd say 75% of the time, I can get it, vs. tossed. (just fresher IMHO)
Personally, I think there may have been some truth to these, in pre-mechanical refrigeration days, and before there was the type of food / health inspections that are prevalent today. Today, not so much.

However, many of us shy away from certain menu items on Amtrak, because we have been exposed to some just, horrible, awful, preparation techniques from down below (on Superliner diners). Common complaints include:

• Steak is overcooked
  • Burger is overcooked, "hockey puck"
  • Veggies are WAY, WAY, WAY, overcooked
  • Chicken is dry
  • Fish is overcooked, or smells "fishy"
I could go on, I mean you get the point. But, since it's been literally decades since I have actually worked in a diner, or the kitchen on a dining car, and am not current on the new(er) modified preparation techniques, do any current, or recent employees have any tips on how to order X menu item, in an attempt to get it prepared in the best possible manner?

I mean, don't be naive folks, cooks and chefs in every restaurant, every single day, in every city, make a CHOICE on which steak, or which cutlet, or which chicken breast to prep-and-plate for every ticket that comes in. (except, by and large, all the QSR brands, Wendy's, McD, BK, Taco Bell.....) So there is the potential, for both selecting the best X, and the potential for prepping it a little differently, because the customer ordered it this-or-that way.....

What say you? Am I over thinking this, based on the staffing, and severe limitations currently imposed on kitchen staff?

I've tried, with zero success, to order my vegetables "al dente" on Amtrak. My guess is, they do them in bulk, and they sit, and sit, and sit, and sit, losing any and all flavor and nutritional value, until an order drops down.

The roast chicken and the flatiron steak have been my traditional favorite dinner items on my handful of trips the past 10 years or so...

Yeah, I'd say my most common, consistent complaint in the diner is overcooked vegetables.

The steaks have been pretty good lately.

As much as I enjoy traveling on AmTrak (and having one meal a day in the dining car), I never tell people that it is "good" food. Why set unreasonable expectations. At best, it is what you would find at an average diner. At worst, it is worse.

That said, the best overall choice for dinner is probably the chicken. It is a large serving (half chicken) of (usually) not overcooked chicken with some serviceable sides. Add a half bottle of wine, and some random interesting companions at your table, it is an excellent way to spend an hour or two of time on your journey for $35 including tip. (I travel coach)

Could it be improved significantly? - YES! Is it better than an airline experience? - YES! Do you routinely eat better at home? - YES!

So it is all relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back