Arcadia MO has been approved for a new Amtrak stop.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RickIronton

Train Attendant
The funding is in place for the Texas Eagle to stop, so how soon will construction begin on the platform and when will the station be active?

Is there a direct link to Amtrak or Union Pacific for answers concerning this topic?

First I have heard of this, but it sounds pretty promising since they have the platform funding. Kudos to MODOT for granting them the money.

Here is a link showing a good shot of the old depot from the track side: http://binged.it/18fxHSi

I really wish them better luck than Hope, AR had.

The funding is in place for the Texas Eagle to stop, so how soon will construction begin on the platform and when will the station be active?Is there a direct link to Amtrak or Union Pacific for answers concerning this topic?
A quick google search did not turn up useful newspaper articles about any plans or funds for a station in Arcadia Missouri. If the funds are in place, then it is a question of where the process is for engineering studies and design, approval from UP, Amtrak, and local authorities, contract bid & award. Do you know if they are planning to build/restore a station or build the modern version of a minimal Amshack shelter with a platform? Is this going to be a flag stop station or a scheduled stop?
If the funds were recently awarded, it is likely to take several years to build a station stop.

The funding is in place for the Texas Eagle to stop, so how soon will construction begin on the platform and when will the station be active?Is there a direct link to Amtrak or Union Pacific for answers concerning this topic?
A quick google search did not turn up useful newspaper articles about any plans or funds for a station in Arcadia Missouri. If the funds are in place, then it is a question of where the process is for engineering studies and design, approval from UP, Amtrak, and local authorities, contract bid & award. Do you know if they are planning to build/restore a station or build the modern version of a minimal Amshack shelter with a platform? Is this going to be a flag stop station or a scheduled stop?
If the funds were recently awarded, it is likely to take several years to build a station stop.
I did a google search and found a couple of articles. One said that Amtrak had already given it's support for the project. Another one said that the Missouri Department of Transportation had given 320 thousand dollars for building a new platform. The station had been restored a couple of years ago.

If the story is correct and all Arcadia has to do is to build the platform, then it may not take that long to allow the Texas Eagle to add the stop. The station will have to be ADA compliant, so that will have to be addressed.

This time I expect someone at Amtrak will make sure that the platform is built the correct distance from the rails, so the contractor does not repeat the mistake made in Hope, Arkansas.

This is great!!! I plan to move to Arcadia when I retire in less than a year and a half.

For one person it will cost less to travel either to St. Louis or Poplar Bluff than to purchase gasoline for my old truck.

The Texas Eagle just keeps getting more stations! Well, it proves there's demand along the route...

I used to go to Ironton all the time, Elephant Rocks! Love Iron County. This is a big step indeed. There is so much demand for local train travel. Congress is so dumb for not encouraging Amtrak. All they do is nickle and dime the service, small stuff the is so meaningless, flowers, chocolates, pre-departure beverage and meal planning.

For one person it will cost less to travel either to St. Louis or Poplar Bluff than to purchase gasoline for my old truck.

There is so much demand for local train travel.
Bear in mind that under the current Texas Eagle Schedule, the southbound stop would come at approximately 10:00 pm

and the northbound stop at approximately 4:30 a.m.

That would work (barely) for a day-trip to St. Louis, but I highly doubt anyone will use it as a shuttle to Poplar Bluff. As a quickie

stop on a LD train, I'm sure it's a fine idea. But there's no way this spurs a lot of local/tourist type travel.

Since a majority of this thread is over a year old, is there any update on when (or if) this station will actually be built and open?

According to the local officials, Union Pacific is the final step in the approval. They hope that the approval will happen in the next few weeks and the bid can go out for construction.

Everything else is in order concerning funding and local municipalities approval, so mid 2015 Amtrak service to Arcadia Valley will be a reality.

The November 2, 2014 Amtrak Texas Eagle schedule now lists Arcadia Valley MO as a future stop.

Who knows how soon since they have not begun construction on the station platform, but, it is promising knowing that it is just a matter of time and not just conjecture.

Where is Arcadia Valley? Will anyone ride the Eagle from that stop since other stops during the night between Texarkana ( except Little Rock) and St. Louis don't seem to have many boardings and de-trainings? In fact Arkadelphia and Malvern are Flag Stops!

There's just not much population between St. Louis and Little Rock. Jonesboro (served by Walnut Ridge), I guess. Poplar Bluff MO. Even less between Poplar Bluff and St. Louis.

This station is about midway between Poplar Bluff and St. Louis. It should capture a certain amount of countryside patronage. It might get tourists, since the area is surrounded by national forests and conservation areas.

This station should probably be a flag stop as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back