EB Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
I've been reading a lot about the delays on the EB because of freight congestion, etc. Which prompts my question. Are the delays typical for both going east and going west? Or does one direction have better OTP?

The west bound EB is to arrive at East Glacier at about 6:45 PM (IIRC). If one wanted to make a reservation at Glacier Park Lodge what are the odds of being able to arrive before midnight?

Thanks?

The EB is doing better than the epic delays earlier this year but it's still often late by a couple hours or more.

East Glacier station (GPK) closes for the winter; Amtrak recommends passengers use Browning, MT (BRO).

The average delay for the westbound Empire Builder #7 is more than 3 hours late leaving Browning over the past 2 months. Not great, to say the least.

Eastbound #8 is better, with an average delay about 90 minutes.

Here are a few charts of their performance.

Westbound:

20141217_7_DP_BRO.png

Eastbound:

20141217_8_DP_BRO.png

The EB is doing better than the epic delays earlier this year but it's still often late by a couple hours or more.

East Glacier station (GPK) closes for the winter; Amtrak recommends passengers use Browning, MT (BRO).

The average delay for the westbound Empire Builder #7 is more than 3 hours late leaving Browning over the past 2 months. Not great, to say the least.

Eastbound #8 is better, with an average delay about 90 minutes.

Here are a few charts of their performance.

Westbound:

20141217_7_DP_BRO.png

Eastbound:

20141217_8_DP_BRO.png
Great data. Thanks for posting.

Would it get worse, stay the same or get better in the late summer? I would think weather would not be a factor then.

Great data. Thanks for posting.

Would it get worse, stay the same or get better in the late summer? I would think weather would not be a factor then.
The EB started getting bad the middle of 2013 and hasn't really recovered - last summer had several hours delays going into the fall just like this year. I'm not sure there is a good time of year to travel EB now; hopefully the winter won't be too bad for BNSF and Amtrak and spring will give everyone an improvement will the recently-completed track work.

Summertime delays could well depend on how much snow accumulates on the ground in the Midwest this winter and whether there will be significantly flooding on rivers in the Far North in spring and early summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back