LD on downward path

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LA resident

Took an LD train for the he first time since in almost a year--bedroom on the SWC LA-Chicago. The LA-based crew was terrific across the board, from the SCA to the dining and lounge car employees. The conductors pointed out scenic highlights and explained track delays. Those were the positives. On the flip side, the bed mattress, sheets and blankets could have been from my National Guard barracks some 30 years ago: worn, thin, uncomfortable. Frayed curtains, an inaudible in-room speaker, two non-working room lights. No soap or shampoo in shower. What's the point of an in-room shower with no soap? (For the record I always carry a purloined hotel bar with me for cases like this.) The food quality was Denny's at best--edible but uninspired. All four at dinner the second night ordered steak medium-rare and all four received steak well-done. (The two coach pax at the table said they had cut back the diner because the extra charges now for salad and beverage added $7 to an already pricy tab.) Bottom line: for the same $1457 that I paid for the SWC, I could have flown and had two-plus nights at the Ritz Carlton in a suite. The sleeper charges are preposterous for the rundown nature of Amtrak's LD service today.

Bottom line: for the same $1457 that I paid for the SWC, I could have flown and had two-plus nights at the Ritz Carlton in a suite. The sleeper charges are preposterous for the rundown nature of Amtrak's LD service today.
I wonder how much Amtrak has to raise fares and reduce amenities before passengers begin to take notice and start cutting back on their travel.

Taking a long distance train now has devolved into enjoying riding across the country from the perspective of a train. Unless the crews are really good, the quality of service now results in a mediocre experience and I hesitate to recommend it to others.

Back to the 90s!!!

I wouldn't pay what Amtrak charges for a Sleeper ( or Acela or even NEC Coach/Biz Class!) on most routes! All things considered its over priced for what you receive! If it wasn't for my AGR Card and point runs resulting in AGR Awards I wouldn't take any LD Sleeper trips!

Coach on the other hand is still a deal compared to LD Buses or Con- Air Airlines! YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver five years ago and it is a spectacular ride. Incredible food, first class service and the feeling you are on a luxury cruise. Unfortunately, Amtrak's LD service is going downhill from standardized menus, bland to good food(nothing like the Canadian) and the amenities you used to get like free champagne when leaving on some trains and the free wine tasting are gone. I have taken many long distance trains and have a huge cross country trip coming up in June and I still get excited about it, even though the quality of service and food has gone South.

You pay a lot for a sleeper on a train. In return you should get some level of satisfaction. i hope the diners who ordered their steak medium rare and got them well done returned the steaks and got them the way they wanted them. I know the meals are included in the sleeper fare, but you should be able to get your food the way you want it.

If you are in coach, the cost of a dinner is outrageous, especially having to pay extra for a salad. Many people have said many restaurants charge extra for a side salad,but for the most part you are not paying $26 for a steak that would probably cost seven to ten dollars less anywhere else.

Maybe it's because I am not used to this and this was my first ever "luxury experience" really in the sense of transportation but I thoroughly enjoyed my CL experience in a sleeper and would definitely do it again thinking I'm getting a great service. I guess it's all what you're used to...

Maybe it's because I am not used to this and this was my first ever "luxury experience" really in the sense of transportation but I thoroughly enjoyed my CL experience in a sleeper and would definitely do it again thinking I'm getting a great service. I guess it's all what you're used to...
Agree.

What else have you spent $1,500 on that made a sleeper ride on Amtrak look better by comparison?

A roundtrip economy flight to Europe :ph34r:

Obviously apples to oranges comparison. But as stated in my previous quote, this was my first exposure to this kind of a thing, so that's why I liked it. And I only paid $113 extra for the room for a 10 hour trip. When I get my points for a trip to California (assuming they don't close down the CZ or AMTRAK before then :unsure: ) I'll get to see it for a longer term, sure. But... I wouldn't pay their price. I think something like Philly to Miami for an extra $230 is reasonable for a trip this length, but the east-west prices are outrageous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I object to these claims on two levels:

1. Things really aren't that bad now.

2. Things never really were much better in the last few decades.

Any loss in ridership is likely due to the abysmal OTP as of late, as ridership is really only down on the lines which have abysmal OTP as of late...

I would almost agree with you with regards to onboard service, but there have, in fact, been considerable reductions in amenities - from pillows being removed to diner quality being cut back to McDonald's quality at Ruth Chris prices.

Ask anyone on the Auto Train if things are as good today as they were a decade ago.

Took an LD train for the he first time since in almost a year--bedroom on the SWC LA-Chicago. The LA-based crew was terrific across the board, from the SCA to the dining and lounge car employees. The conductors pointed out scenic highlights and explained track delays. Those were the positives. On the flip side, the bed mattress, sheets and blankets could have been from my National Guard barracks some 30 years ago: worn, thin, uncomfortable. Frayed curtains, an inaudible in-room speaker, two non-working room lights.

Can't speak for the mattress and sheets, but the frayed curtains, bad speaker and lights in the sleeper bedroom could be just that the Superliner sleeper car is in the later stage of its in-service period before going in for an overhaul. The Viewliners and Superliners go in for overhaul every so many years to get fixed and spruced up and then back into service for people to wear out the curtains and break the lights. With some passengers beating the crap out of the interior. The monthly reports list the numbers of the cars each month as they are released from overhaul. If we had the number of the Superliner sleeper car our guest poster was on, it would be tedious and require a complete set of the last 4-5 years of monthly reports, but one could figure out when the car was last released from overhaul.

As for soap in the shower, I think that is still being provided. Might be simply that the LSA didn't put the soap bars into the shower stalls. Or you have to ask. Which would be silly, but the amenity cuts are a mix of some that make sense if you have to cut costs and some silly ones that are likely just for show.

My recent SWC experience differed somewhat, but not totally. I was in a Roomette.

LSA and SA in the Dining Car were wonderfully efficent, courteous, and pleasant. SCA did her job as expected and exceeded my expectations at CHI in helping me obtain Red Cap service. My roomette was in a Superliner II car; no complaints about any aspects of that car. Linens were all of good quality; the shower was properly provided with soap. I had learned on this site that shampoo was no longer available so I brought my own (and ended up leaving it somewhere in the car, somehow).

I don't expect Fleming Steakhouse quality of food on Amtrak--and I did not get it. But, the quality of what I was served in all of my dining car experiences on 3 trains was quite acceptable. The Chef of the SWC overcooked most of the entrees. Vegetable varities don't vary.(And, Green beans are not my veggie of choice.) After the menu change, salad was not provided as part of dinner on the SL, but was on the SWC.

Amtrak's service standards inconsistency is its major issue, in my experience.

I agree that LD service has declined. We are asked to pay first class prices in sleeper class and we should be the beneficiary of first class food and service. Passengers are not stupid and they can clearly see that the cutbacks have cheapened the service and made it less desirable. Those who feel the same way as I do should write a letter to Amtrak management and voice their opinion. When we pay $1000 to $2000 for a bedroom trip, serving a jail house level of cuisine with quality below what they serve to prisoners, just don't cut it.

Would be nice if there was a clickable: "Forward To Amtrak Management"... and to generally think, we here are the defenders of Amtrak... imagine what the rest must be saying?

As a regular rider of Amtrak LD trains, I don't have a problem with the service level today. Admittedly, I love riding the rails and actually fly to get to the train since the politicos ended Amtrak service to Nashville decades ago. I've ridden the Canadian several times and did not consider the service any better than Amtrak. In fact, I did not like the food as well since they chose to push bison burgers and seafood on me. For those who think Canada support their trains please realize that the Canadian hss been cut to only two trips per week and take a day longer than the last time I rode. I don't call that improvement.

I rode the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver five years ago and it is a spectacular ride. Incredible food, first class service and the feeling you are on a luxury cruise. Unfortunately, Amtrak's LD service is going downhill from standardized menus, bland to good food(nothing like the Canadian) and the amenities you used to get like free champagne when leaving on some trains and the free wine tasting are gone. I have taken many long distance trains and have a huge cross country trip coming up in June and I still get excited about it, even though the quality of service and food has gone South.
You also pay a heck of a lot more on the Canadian. Both trips specced out for next Tuesday (11/18/14), Canadian from Vancouver to Toronto and Amtrak from Seattle to Toronto (EB-LSL-Maple Leaf), Amtrak costs $294 in coach or $696 with roomettes and a business class seat. With one passenger, a cabin for two on the Canadian costs USD$2,240.60, a cabin for one costs USD$1,493.73, and coach (escape fare) costs USD$479.68.

All these complaints should be forwarded to Rep. Mica, he's the force behind the amenities cutbacks and the drive to make food services profitable. Let him know that a sizeable number of citizens don't appreciate his backwards thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back