Washington State to Atlanta Advice Requested

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grayewolf

Train Attendant
In December I will be moving from Eastern WA state to Atlanta, GA. I only will be having a few things shipped and seeing all the complaints about Greyhound (Not to mention the horrible 24 hour ride I had to get here in 2005) I have decided to go with Amtrak. With all the delays and such i have read about Empire Builder I figured it would be wise to book in the following fashion.

Monday, December 15, 2014
28 Empire Builder (PSC - CHI)

Depart:
5:52 pm, Mon, Dec 15, 2014
Arrive:
3:55 pm, Wed, Dec 17, 2014
Stay at a hostel overnight in Chicago

Then

Thursday, December 18, 2014
50 Cardinal (CHI - CVS)

Depart:
5:45 pm, Thu, Dec 18, 2014
Arrive:
2:49 pm, Fri, Dec 19, 2014
Duration:
20 hr, 4 min

19 Crescent (CVS - ATL)

Depart:
8:52 pm, Fri, Dec 19, 2014
Arrive:
8:13 am, Sat, Dec 20, 2014
Duration:
11 hr, 21 min
Does this look like a good plan to people who have ridden the rails before? This will be my first actual train trip. I could fly but flying scares the bejeezus out of me and it's also more expensive that time of year. If so, can someone recommend a decent but inexpensive hostel close to the station?

So like this?

Monday, December 15, 2014
27 Empire Builder (PSC - PDX)

Depart:
7:05 am, Mon, Dec 15, 2014
Arrive:
11:40 am, Mon, Dec 15, 2014
Duration:
4 hr, 35 min

11 Coast Starlight (PDX - LAX)

Depart:
2:25 pm, Mon, Dec 15, 2014
Arrive:
9:00 pm, Tue, Dec 16, 2014
Duration:
30 hr, 35 min

Subtotal $155.00

Wednesday, December 17, 2014
2 Sunset Limited (LAX - NOL)

Depart:
10:00 pm, Wed, Dec 17, 2014
Arrive:
9:40 pm, Fri, Dec 19, 2014
Duration:
45 hr, 40 min

20 Crescent (NOL - ATL)

Depart:
7:00 am, Sat, Dec 20, 2014
Arrive:
7:35 pm, Sat, Dec 20, 2014
Duration:
11 hr, 35 min
That's actually 2 layovers. Was only hoping for a single layover which the first option gives me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you depart on Tuesday instead of Monday, there will be no overnight in LA. The connection between the Coast Starlight and the Sunset Limited is guaranteed and can be done the same night. (They hold the SL.)

Hrm, well, that certainly is an option. Any nearby decent hostels in New Orleans? I don't want to have to travel too far from the station and make sure I get back by 7am.

Still interested in a Chicago hostel though close to the station.

The HI in Chicago is the most bland, large but perfectly clean Hostel I've ever stayed in. The Getaway Hostel I'd recommend much more although you have to take the 'L' to get there.

I've only stayed in one hostel in New Orleans which was about a 2 mile walk (or a streetcar ride) from the station.

Thanks for the response subway. Think I will take my chances with the northern route. The HI doesn't seem to be too far away and within decent walking distance.

I would go with the Chicago route also. And if you have any travel date flexibility, the website www.amsnag.net might find you a cheaper fare on certain days.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The route you originally proposed is the most logical and planning to layover in Chicago is the right thing to do.

I've made the connection between the Cardinal and Crescent a couple of times. The Charlottesville station is very near the University of Virginia campus should the Cardinal be close to on-time and you wind up needing to kill some time there.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Seems the Empire/Cardinal/Crescent is the way to go for me. Unfortunately my days are pretty much set in when I can travel so don't have much flexibility. I need to arrive on a Saturday so it's Monday the 15th or 8th I have to leave. Seems $170 is the lowest I can find for Empire Builder coach. Total trip should run me around $385 for fare alone with my handicapped discount for coach. More expensive than greyhound (longer time though), cheaper than flying (and less frightening for me too!), but more comfortable than either it appears.

One issue I have is I cannot order a multi-city set of tickets online with the handicapped option. I suppose I will have to call and order them. Then go to the station and pick them up.

Even if you reserve via phone, it will be an e-ticket and will be sent to you via email. You can either print the confirmation out or keep it on your cell phone. There is no need to pick them up at the station.

Even if you reserve via phone, it will be an e-ticket and will be sent to you via email. You can either print the confirmation out or keep it on your cell phone. There is no need to pick them up at the station.
Rather keep a hard copy in a jacket. You know, souvenir of my first Amtrak ride. Station isn't that far away from me anyway.

Given the recent history of the EB I would take the CS to Sacramento and have a good breakfast there before getting on the CZ to Chicago.

The HI Hostel is on Congress near a turn in the El.

If you'd like a breakfast at the Black Bear diner take the CS to Davis instead before getting on the CZ.
Still, if the EB is late I miss the CS.

Rather just take the EB to Chicago because no way it can be 24+ hours late.

Got my ticket to lose my rail virginity.

I leave Pasco, WA on Monday the 10th to hit Chicago Wednesday the 12th, one night layover then the Card and Crescent Thursday the 13th to Atlanta. Here's looking to a great experience and maybe one of you will be on one of those trains.

Ah yes, did want to ask. Which side of the EB #8 would have the best views from coach? North or south?

Doesn't matter which side you sit on on the Empire Builder from Pasco to Chicago; the views are pretty much the same.

I think there's a preferred side on the Cardinal, though I don't remember which side it is.

I think on the Crescent it doesn't matter again.

Well, today is the day. 11 hours till boarding. I am glad I found this board while dong research for my trip. Will post pics and maybe video if I can after I arrive.

Have a great trip, hopefully the Winter Storm sweeping down from Alaska won't delay the Empire Builder anymore than what's currently happening along the Hi-Line,!

We look forward to your trip report, kick back and leave the driving to Amtrak!

Mmm, good thing I moved my move to Georgia up it seems then, I already have my quilted shirt and heavy coat sitting here because it's gonna be cold during my 1 day layover in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back