Eastbound or westbound?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtoddander

Train Attendant
Some rail enthusiasts fly one way and take the train the other way...thus there is often a choice as to what direction to take the train....is there a better direction for major trains like CZ, EB, SWC ETC? Given that the days are getting shorter, there are some practical limits on how much you can see. Therefore you want to choose the travel direction that is most scenic.

As I noted in another thread, the eastbound CZ from NorCal to Denver is on-time remarkably often. If you're looking for reliability, I would choose to go eastbound on the CZ. However, as the days grow short, this means that it will be dark as you're in the mountains immediately east of Denver. That being said, it was still daylight for the whole stretch between Green River and the Moffat Tunnel when I rode the CZ last November. Going westbound from Denver you'll get a better view of those mountains, but if it's late, there's a chance you won't see as much of the western slope or the plateaus of eastern Utah.

If you want to see the Sierra Nevadas in the daylight, both eastbound and westbound should be fine (even if either train is running a few hours late).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back