Best way to plan longer trips? Tools/Websites?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy!

I have only ridden Amtrak a small number of times. Something that frustrates me about the Amtrak website is that it is completely lacking in automated ability to suggest multi-segment trips. I know it can plan one train ride with an optional bus connection or two, but to get from San Francisco to Tucson — or really, anywhere outside of California, and some places within — I need to manually enter a stop at Bakersfield.

This seems a decade or so behind technology for booking plane flights or road trips. I want to be able to punch in two locations and see my options instead of seeing “0 results”.

Is there a tool or website out there that actually makes this easy?

Thanks in advance.

As Ryan indicated, just asking here will probably get you more useful info than anywhere. That's what I did for my first post ever here. Just start a topic on tips for booking the cities and you will find the folks here very knowledgeable and helpful in planning a trip. After doing that, I just called(I always call to book my trips) and booked it. :)

Howdy!

I have only ridden Amtrak a small number of times. Something that frustrates me about the Amtrak website is that it is completely lacking in automated ability to suggest multi-segment trips. I know it can plan one train ride with an optional bus connection or two, but to get from San Francisco to Tucson — or really, anywhere outside of California, and some places within — I need to manually enter a stop at Bakersfield.

This seems a decade or so behind technology for booking plane flights or road trips. I want to be able to punch in two locations and see my options instead of seeing “0 results”.

Is there a tool or website out there that actually makes this easy?

Thanks in advance.
I don't understand the bolded. You can put in SFC &TUS and see the options to get there .

Also, the OP needs to realize that the train to Tucson only runs 3 days a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you put in the "wrong" day, you'll get a message that says "PROBLEM WITH YOUR ITINERARY - PLEASE CONSIDER THE ALTERNATIVE BELOW: The train(s) you selected are not available on the date(s) you requested. Modify your itinerary and resubmit, or continue with the alternative itinerary provided." and then options for the days that do work with the 3x weekly schedule.

I first thought about where I wanted to go. Then I grabbed the timetable and plotted it. Then I called Amtrak to find out if it was doable since my time away from work has tight restraints (from some reason people want pay check regularly). Then I asked 9 million questions on this site and ended up with a fabulous trip. Still plotting on my next dream trip - which will include the Canadian.....(fingers crossed).

I actually recently went from San Francisco to Tucson, and the website showed it as a viable option.

Just remember, the Sunset Limited (LA to Tucson) does not operate every day of the week, so you may not see it on the day you want to travel.

Also, I just used Amtrak's website to plan a trip from Miami to San Francisco (just to prove it's possible to you). I can't attach photos for some reason, but I can tell you it gave me 2 different options, and did not require me to manually put in each transfer.

OPTION 1

• 98 Silver Meteor - MIA -> NYP
  • 49 Lake Shore Limited - NYP -> CHI
  • 5 California Zephyr - CHI -> EMY
  • 5005 Bus - EMY -> SFC
OPTION 2

• 98 Silver Meteor - MIA -> WAS
  • 29 Capitol Limited - WAS -> CHI
  • 5 California Zephyr - CHI -> EMY
  • 5005 Bus - EMY -> SFC

Status
Not open for further replies.