Pere Marquette Anniversary Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hessjm

OBS Chief
Honored Member
There are going to be special activities surrounding the 30th anniversary of the Pere Marquette on Tuesday September 16th during the trip from Grand Rapids to Chicago. they will be running special equipment that includes a "theater car" which I suspect is a Sightseer Lounge as they included one during the 25th anniversary. During the 25th anniversary the Sightseer Lounge car was on the route for the entire week, I'm trying to find out if that will be the case this time.

30th Anniversary details.

During the 25th anniversary the Sightseer Lounge car was on the route for the entire week, I'm trying to find out if that will be the case this time.

"The Westrain coalition and Amtrak will promote the 30th anniversary event with a double-decker Superliner train, including a special "theater car" at the rear of the train for better viewing".

Also the article states "a new station location scheduled to open in Grand Rapids next month." Another delay? I thought the most recent update said opening was slated for late September.

During the 25th anniversary the Sightseer Lounge car was on the route for the entire week, I'm trying to find out if that will be the case this time.

"The Westrain coalition and Amtrak will promote the 30th anniversary event with a double-decker Superliner train, including a special "theater car" at the rear of the train for better viewing".

Also the article states "a new station location scheduled to open in Grand Rapids next month." Another delay? I thought the most recent update said opening was slated for late September.
The goal posts for the new station keep moving, last week they had not let the caretaker know yet.

To clarify my previous comments I'm trying to find out if the Sightseer Lounge will be on the train for the entire week. I thought it was funny that they made a big deal of using Superliner equipment as that is normal for this train!

I'm planning on being on the run from GRR on Tuesday, maybe we can pick up enough AU members along the route for a mini gathering by the time we get to CHI!

A "theater car" would describe Amtrak's executive inspection car, American View, so this might be a rare opportunity for the public to ride in one of Amtrak's executive fleet.

A "theater car" would describe Amtrak's executive inspection car, American View, so this might be a rare opportunity for the public to ride in one of Amtrak's executive fleet.
Though if they are running this as a Superliner train that car would be isolated from the rest of the train.

Though if they are running this as a Superliner train that car would be isolated from the rest of the train.
That and the fact they added the Sightseer Lounge to the train for the 25th anniversary week. Of course, the politicians and Amtrak brass could ride the American View if it was attached.

The goal posts for the new station keep moving, last week they had not let the caretaker know yet.
To clarify my previous comments I'm trying to find out if the Sightseer Lounge will be on the train for the entire week. I thought it was funny that they made a big deal of using Superliner equipment as that is normal for this train!

I'm planning on being on the run from GRR on Tuesday, maybe we can pick up enough AU members along the route for a mini gathering by the time we get to CHI!
I would love to make that run, however, my mom is in temporary nursing care and I can't get away for that long of a period of time. I might, however, attend the ceremonies in Holland. We'll see.

I do love the idea of having a mini gathering for AU members in our area. I don't know of many but that is probably because I just moved back this way in May.

I'll take the Gourmet on the Ground in Grand Rapids insight on this since he's a Regular on this Route and an Honorary Crew Member!

It'll almost certainly be a SSL and as was said, if the VIP car is in the consist it'll be exclusively for Politicians and Amtrak suits!

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a kick out of how they decided to call a Sightseer Lounge a "Theatre Car." Whenever they add one to the Heartland Flyer for OU-Texas Weekend or sometimes Winter Break it just shows up with no fanfare.

OK, the latest on the special run (from today's crew) is as follows. There will be 3 additional cars added for tonight's run out of Chicago. The "theater car" will be the one That Mr. Boardman and others are riding in. Consensus is one car will be a sightseer lounge and who know what the third will be, possibly just another superliner. We will probably have anniversary engines to boot. Time to break out the cameras along the route!

One thing is for sure I'll bet we are on time into Grand Rapids tonight!

I get a kick out of how they decided to call a Sightseer Lounge a "Theatre Car." Whenever they add one to the Heartland Flyer for OU-Texas Weekend or sometimes Winter Break it just shows up with no fanfare.
Looks like the "theater car" will actually be American View, Amtrak's theater-style inspection car, although its occupancy will be limited to VIPs.

So, sitting here in the Metro Deli with JoeG, we formulated a plan for the trip back to GR, it will be the 3 Joe's Adventure on the Pere Marquette!!

OK, the tail end cars on tonight's run are from the tail forward....

American View

Beech Grove

Pacific Cape

Transdorm

Quite the showing!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 30th anniversary trip was like just any other ride between Grand Rapids, except the delays were caused by the local VIP's who were busy patting each other on the back at every stop instead of being delayed by the host railroads. Not once did any official from Amtrak or MDOT walk through the train to speak to any of the passengers - the feeling to those that support Amtrak was we didn't exist. Mr. Gallagher was on board, but remained sequestered in the private cars. A simple walk through by either Amtrak officials or MDOT would have been great PR for even the casual traveler on the route.

The outside chance to meet Mr. Boardman was dashed due to a loss in his family, and I extend my condolences to him and his family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back