What brought YOU to long distance train travel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been into trains and transports of all types. My original train trip was not until I totaled my Ford Ranger in a Dallas suburb the day after I got out of the Army in 1997. Being almost broke; getting a hotel and all my personal effects from the wreck site to my hotel room. My Dad called my Uncle in Moundridge KS so come and get me. I nervously waited most of a day for Him to make the long drive across half of KS and OK!!! I spent the next day visiting with them, then it was off to Newton for my first Train ride, I stuffed all i could in two Army Duffles and stored the rest in there basement to retrieve latter in the spring.

I remember sitting on the SC looking out the windows watching the world go by. I realized that you could see into the life of the people along the right of way. People try to make there front yard nice and tidy, But on the Train you see the Backyards, Junkyards and work sites. Almost 24 hrs latter I was getting off the LSL in Bryan and I was hooked.

While living in Indianapolis I took the Train as often as possible, weekend trips to PHI, BOS and NYC. Once I even scored a $28.00 coach fare on the CZ Chicago to Emeryville!!! I spent 4 hrs in a hotel and Jack London and flew to LA for a Day at Disneyland and then the Chief back to Chicago for $75.00.

In 2002 I took my dream trip, IND-CHI Greyhound (51 was late, so they had me use my train ticket on a Bus). CHI-TOR International, TOR-VAN Canadian Lower Berth. Cascades to SEA and my first Roomette back to CHI on EB.

After a several year break due to work schedule, I am taking the Train to ORL in Nov for my annual Mickey Fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Godwin's law is still alive and well. Anyways...

I was a cheap college student about four years ago and wanted to go visit my then-girlfriend in Idaho. I was comparing Greyhound and Amtrak, and the costs were almost the same, and Amtrak has better parking at the station and seemed more comfortable. I posted a few questions on here, got excited about my trip, and took it. I got lucky and was able to get a reroute one way on the Zephyr and the normal route the other way. Since then, I've been hooked.

This is an interesting thread and I've enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences. From 1959 through about 1970 my family took trips from Denver to somewhere east or south to visit relatives. My parents did not like to drive on long trips so we always took the train. The first trip that I remember was leaving Denver on Christmas night 1960 on the California Zephyr to go to Philadelphia. I was four so many of the details are gone but I remember the high-backed wooden benches in Union Station in Denver, walking through the tunnel under the tracks, going to the diner and changing trains in Chicago. I was hooked on train travel from then on. My next long distance trip was a round trip from New York City to Denver in December 1978 and I've been taking Amtrak alone and with my wife and family since then.

I have always liked trains and railroading,got it from my dad.In 1999 my wife and I traveled from Atlanta to Tucson and back when the UP had their great melt down,we loved our trip,and have been hooked since.

1. Air travel is the frigging worst. Hated it before the security theater started, but with the scanners and the shoes and my belt--look, enough. You're terrible.

2. I finally have an economic situation where I can afford to travel well on Amtrak (with a room or roomette.)

3. I do 90% of my work on the Internet, which means I can work while I travel so the days spent in traveling don't affect me like they would if I had to work in an office. (It stinks when my mobile data craps out, of course. Hello, Lamy, New Mexico? Have you not discovered the cellphone yet? To say nothing of the backwoods of Maryland, literally hours without a signal.)

EDIT: Oh, and since I am possibly the first person on this thread who started rail travel recently: it was a few years ago, I had a conference in Tampa and I live in the Philadelphia area, Amtrak fares were reasonable enough, the experience was >>> any air experience, and so here I am, on the second half of a work trip to Phoenix via Flagstaff (typing this on the Capitol Limited this very second.) Done with airplanes unless I have to go international or Hawaii.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first LD train trip was from Calcutta (Howrah) to Bombay (Victoria Terminus) in 1955 by Bombay Mail via Nagpur. In the 50s and 60s that was pretty much the only feasible way to travel LD in India. Incidentally that trip was to receive my Dad who was returning from England (Southampton) by a P&O Lines boat via Suez Canal. Very different times.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

My first long distance train trip was around 1966 when I traveled from Miami to Washington (and back) for a junior high school spring break trip. It was great fun for an 8th grader traveling with friends and no parents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back