Lakeshore / Capitol Ltd interruption?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeM

OBS Chief
Just a heads up, Norfork Southern had a derailment at Chrissy OH, west of Toledo this morning. Both tracks are blocked, the westbound by at least one or two cars, and the eastbound by the bulk of the cars. No major property damage, locomotives stayed on track, and they have a ton of equipment on site starting to clear the main. The area where the derailment happened recently had new rail installed, no news if that was a factor or something else. Since this is the route of the Lakeshore and Capitol, this could either turn into a bustitution or reroute.

I haven't seen any announcements from Amtrak on Twitter yet. We'll see what happens. I'm assuming that if the tracks aren't clear by the time those trains will need to go through, they would either have to reroute (if possible) or bring in busses.

The Lake Shore Limited does show a service disruption just outside Toledo.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is discussion on a local rail fan forum I frequent that the LSL will be detoured into Michigan. Apparently one of the Wolverines (I don't have the page open at the moment so am lacking #s) dropped off a P42 in Dearborn for the #49 to use.

They're saying that the CL got thru before the derailment. But either way I'm going to be trackside tomorrow morning bright & early to try and catch the LSL being detoured.

peter

It has indeed been rerouted through Michigan, according to the tracker map. That is going to be one heck of a late train, haha.

Well, it should make life simpler for the passengers who were going to catch the connecting bus from Toledo to Dearborn, Ann Arbor, and Jackson, eh? (If Amtrak is that sensible. I bet they just put them on the bus in Toledo. :-( )

Well, it should make life simpler for the passengers who were going to catch the connecting bus from Toledo to Dearborn, Ann Arbor, and Jackson, eh? (If Amtrak is that sensible. I bet they just put them on the bus in Toledo. :-( )
Meh, I'd make 'em take the bus. The actual bus was probably already in Toledo anyway, so you'd still have to pay for the fuel and wages associated with driving the bus back to Michigan. And if I'm on a multi-hour late train, why would I want to make additional unscheduled stops (other than for refueling or required crew changes, obviously). Here's a case where the good of the majority of passengers should prevail...and the majority are obviously going to be folks headed to Chicago.

The bus was actually scheduled to leave long before the train actually arrived at Toledo (since #49 was already badly delayed), and so may not have been held for the train.

Is that the lakeshore from Washington, D.C. That left there at four pm yesterday?

Is that the lakeshore from Washington, D.C. That left there at four pm yesterday?
The Lake Shore is NYP to CHI. The Capital Limited is the WAS to CHI train. It too may be affected by the derailment.

And another problem for the 48 Train later this evening. :(
Tonight is the Thursday night before a 3 day weekend, so both east and westbound LSLs and CLs may be close to fully booked. Canceling #48 could leave a lot of people stuck in Chicago for the 4th.

Since Amtrak now controls the dispatching in MI, they could give #49(2) priority with no stops in MI to make up some time. But then it could get further delayed on the NS tracks in IN.

Whoops. I got the wrong train. Have taken too many trains on this trip:). Anyway I was bummed sitting in Washington, D.C. Station yesterday. The other train was leaving around four pm and getting into Chicago at 830 am where as our train left at eleven am and was suppose to get into Chicago at ten or so in the morning. We were late today because of signals that were damaged by a storm this week. So is this the train affected? If so, now I don't feel too bad.

Does anyone have specific information on 49(2) / 449(2)'s position at any time following 8:06am today? That's when 49/449 left Buffalo (according to http://74.242.205.72/scripts/archivefinder.pl?seltrain=49&selmonth=07&selyear=2014&selday=02), after which I gather she took a detour through Michigan (per this thread). I can only guess that she hasn't yet arrived in Chicago. That means she'll be at least eight-and-a-half hours late, but maybe much much more.

Above it's mentioned that a Wolverine "dropped off a P42 in Dearborn for the #49 to use". Would that be a special Michigan-service P42 that has been outfitted with PTC, which would become the lead engine on 49 while the train is in Michigan (or maybe all the way to Chicago)?

My uncle's on board, so it's more than just an academic question.

Also ... he was booked with a connection to the EB, bound for Columbus, WI. I assume Amtrak will send him by bus from Chicago once he arrives, regardless of the hour (evening, middle of the night, whatever)? Or would Amtrak be likely to put him up in Chicago if he arrives late evening tonight, and send him on tomorrow's EB, or on a morning Hiawatha to MKE and then a bus over to Columbus, or ... I mean, there are options here. I wonder what Amtrak is likely to do.

He actually lives in Madison (and his wife was going to pick him up in Columbus, because Scott Walker grumble grumble). Is there a chance that Amtrak will offer any way of getting him more directly from Chicago to Madison instead taking him to Columbus?

And another problem for the 48 Train later this evening. :(
Tonight is the Thursday night before a 3 day weekend, so both east and westbound LSLs and CLs may be close to fully booked. Canceling #48 could leave a lot of people stuck in Chicago for the 4th.

Since Amtrak now controls the dispatching in MI, they could give #49(2) priority with no stops in MI to make up some time. But then it could get further delayed on the NS tracks in IN.
Especially if they can route it over the tracks that the Wolverine uses, they can push it up to 100-110 MPH.

Does anyone have specific information on 49(2) / 449(2)'s position at any time following 8:06am today? That's when 49/449 left Buffalo (according to http://74.242.205.72/scripts/archivefinder.pl?seltrain=49&selmonth=07&selyear=2014&selday=02), after which I gather she took a detour through Michigan (per this thread). I can only guess that she hasn't yet arrived in Chicago. That means she'll be at least eight-and-a-half hours late, but maybe much much more.

Above it's mentioned that a Wolverine "dropped off a P42 in Dearborn for the #49 to use". Would that be a special Michigan-service P42 that has been outfitted with PTC, which would become the lead engine on 49 while the train is in Michigan (or maybe all the way to Chicago)?

My uncle's on board, so it's more than just an academic question.

Also ... he was booked with a connection to the EB, bound for Columbus, WI. I assume Amtrak will send him by bus from Chicago once he arrives, regardless of the hour (evening, middle of the night, whatever)? Or would Amtrak be likely to put him up in Chicago if he arrives late evening tonight, and send him on tomorrow's EB, or on a morning Hiawatha to MKE and then a bus over to Columbus, or ... I mean, there are options here. I wonder what Amtrak is likely to do.

He actually lives in Madison (and his wife was going to pick him up in Columbus, because Scott Walker grumble grumble). Is there a chance that Amtrak will offer any way of getting him more directly from Chicago to Madison instead taking him to Columbus?
#49 passed thru Ann Arbor, MI around 5:30pm. I don't know any more after that. P42 #35 was dropped off in Dearborn by #350 for #49, This is so that it can use the ITCS system on our line.

peter

Rats. I bet I missed it coming through Kzoo.
You can try and catch #30 heading east tonight! Idk about tomorrows #49/449 & #29 or this evening #48/448 they maybe detoured as well. I caught #48/448 however it did catch me a bit by surprise (the signal I was watching never changed) so I don't have really and good photos. Oh FYI the detoured 49/449 had Indianapolis on it.

peter

Rats. I bet I missed it coming through Kzoo.
You can try and catch #30 heading east tonight! Idk about tomorrows #49/449 & #29 or this evening #48/448 they maybe detoured as well. I caught #48/448 however it did catch me a bit by surprise (the signal I was watching never changed) so I don't have really and good photos. Oh FYI the detoured 49/449 had Indianapolis on it.

peter
That would be fun! Do they show on the tracker like the other trains? I'm really close to KAL, so it would be easy to head down there.

Never mind. I see #30 SE of Chicago right now. I'll keep refreshing the map. :)

Just checked the Train Tracker which showed #30(3) running at 99 mph near Dowagiac, MI. The CL is getting the chance to stretch its legs a bit.

So did you catch #30 Sarah? I'm sitting trackside waiting for it, but it looks like it'll be about an hour before it gets to me in A2.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back