Double Dipping on the Cap

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OlympianHiawatha

Engineer
With all the turmoil over changing Menus and other assorted cutbacks are Sleeper pax still allowed to "Double Dip" Breakfast and Lunch on the Capitol Limited? I noticed Lunch is still on the Menu shown on the Amtrak site. Of course with all the good food varieties available just in Washington Union Station during a layover I would be happy with a good on board Breakfast alone.

Lately the #30 has been experiencing poor OTP with Late Arrival times into WAS (and CHI on #29 also) so Lunch is available in the form of a Limited or Express Menu!

For several years it was a well kept secret ( good SCAs told their pax)that

One could have two meals between PGH and WAS which could be Breakfast or Brunch and Lunch! ( Last call was usually 11AM)The Lunch Menu was Limited in choices but if you wanted to you could have an Angus Burger etc for "Breakfast/Brunch" and the "Breakfast/Brunch" choices for Lunch !

There were a couple of posts on here saying that the LSAs were telling pax that they could only have One Meal now but this is untrue, these types are either trying to mistakingly follow the "cut costs in the diner" mantra or else lazy and want to hit the platforms running when #30 hits the stop in WAS!!

Thanks Jim! Last year when I was connecting to the Star I had the announced option of taking on Express Lunch but declined since I wanted to try the Pizza Place in Union Station. It was good.

I have encountered good dining crews on the CL that followed the rules and allowed breakfast and an early lunch with a smile. On another occasion, when the train was going to be over two hours late into Washington, we were made to feel unwelcome and like we were "getting away with something" when we returned to the dining car for our lunch. In my experience, the CL has a great disparity in quality in the dining car. I've had some of the best experiences on board and also some of the very worst.

Thanks Jim! Last year when I was connecting to the Star I had the announced option of taking on Express Lunch but declined since I wanted to try the Pizza Place in Union Station. It was good.
I prefer Lunch in WAS to an Amburger myself, my favorite joint close to Union Station is the Irish Pub by the Phoenix Park Hotel across from the old Post Office!
The Cap used to be a crack train, consistently good OTP, Food and Service

But I agree with other Posters, it's slipping and its the luck of the draw @ Mostly High Bucket prices now!

I read Don't Phillips column in Trains, as Bill said he was a respected writer for years in Washington, and as another poster said, a Column is Opinion, not Fact, just like our posts here on AU!!

Last edited by a moderator:
When I took the CL back in March, I got up at 7AM and got breakfast. I went back at 11AM and got lunch. We were on time, but the dining crew didn't seem to care.

On the Cap right now. We are 2.5 hours late so lunch should not be an issue. Food on this train so far has been quite superior to the Southwest Chief. I think we pulled a good crew.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

When we rode the CL earlier this month it was announced that brunch was being served in the dining car. We had a late breakfast but didn't come back later for anymore food. How much can anyone eat that early in the day ? We arrived in WAS about 1 hour late. .

How much can anyone eat that early in the day ? We arrived in WAS about 1 hour late. .
Early risers who like early breakfasts, like myself, may very well be hungry by 11:00. Definitely before arrival in WAS.
How true Betty. We are up and eating by 6:30 and my stomach says its time to eat again by 10:30. :p

How much can anyone eat that early in the day ? We arrived in WAS about 1 hour late. .
Early risers who like early breakfasts, like myself, may very well be hungry by 11:00. Definitely before arrival in WAS.
How true Betty. We are up and eating by 6:30 and my stomach says its time to eat again by 10:30. :p
Me too. Every time I have traveled on the Capitol Limited, I had breakfast at 6:30 and lunch at 10:30 or 11:00. So far, I have not been denied a second meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back