CZ to SJ connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
I have a 2.5 hr wait in SAC between the CZ and the 704 SJ. I'm on the SJ to Hanford, and then an Amtrak bus to Visalia. From what I see lately, there's only an even chance that I'll make that connection in SAC.

What is Amtrak likely to do for me, and should I consider renting a car and driving to Hanford? It's not my first choice, but I'd like a fall back plan.

Any suggestions?

I assume you're ticketed on #704, which is the 4:55P Sacramento to Bakersfield service.

If you don't make that train, Amtrak will put you on the next service, which is AmBus #3718 connecting to Train #718 at Stockton. The bus leaves Sacramento at 6:25P. You'd get into Hanford at 10:28P.

I don't know what Amtrak will do if you miss that connection. It's the last one for the day.

If the CZ is not too late, I think they would hold 704. Then the connecting Ambus is only for connecting Amtrak passengers, so that will be held. If by chance 704 is not held, Amtrak will get you there someway.

Thanks for the replies.

So...if the train is obviously going to arrive past my connection time, should I let the conductor know of the issue, or should I call Customer Relations while I'm still on the train? Just two weeks to go until the bucket list trip!

If you miss all the connections for the day, Amtrak will probably put you in a hotel in SAC and put you on the morning SJ. The conductor will let you know. You shouldn't have to call customer relations, unless you want to complain.

If the train is obviously going to arrive past the connection time I would tell the conductor. He *might* be able to get the conductor to hold 704 (explain that you need to catch 704, to connect to the bus to Visalia). But I doubt that they would be willing to hold the 704 for long (maybe 5-15 minutes.) He also might be able to get the ball rolling sooner for your alternate routing.

If you miss the connection, go speak to a ticket agent in Sacramento. They can either ticket you on 718 and get a cab to take you from Hanford to Visalia (there's no bus that connects with 718, so you'll need a cab) or if the train is really late, they will put you up in a hotel in Sacramento overnight and ticket you on 712 (you'll take a bus from Sacramento to Stockton).

If a ticket agent can't resolve the situation to your satisfaction... then I would call Customer Relations.

Bottom line... if Amtrak blows your connection to 704... it's Amtrak's problem and they will fix it for you, for free.

Also if it's not too personal, may I ask what brings you to Visalia? I worked in the Central Valley for almost 4 years and got to know the town quite well. It's a lovely little city, but not exactly a tourist hot spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could ask that question of anybody who has a destination in California that isn't San Francisco.

It's not overrated. It simply has a climate I could tolerate. I find New Jersey comfortable for 4 months of the year, a little warm 4 months of the year, and intolerably hot 4 months of the year. YMMV.

What takes us to Visalia is Sequoia National Park and King's Canyon National Park. One day in each, then train back up to Merced for one day in Yosemite.

Then a more relaxed and flexible pace for the rest of the journey. Once my wife joins me in retirement, we'll be able to do more leisurely, off-season adventures.

What takes us to Visalia is Sequoia National Park and King's Canyon National Park. One day in each, then train back up to Merced for one day in Yosemite.

Then a more relaxed and flexible pace for the rest of the journey. Once my wife joins me in retirement, we'll be able to do more leisurely, off-season adventures.
That was my guess. All of those are wonderful national parks. I had an annual pass for a few years... and enjoyed my many visits immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back