EB Mess - 2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how about a consist Q ..scrape some of my memory rust off,,, . my reservation says 7 going out so I will be on the sleeper either one or two in front of the diner (730/731) ,,, on the way back it tells me I am on 28 so that means I will be on the back end, (2630) second from last - PDX coach the only thing behind me? This sound right?

I also did find a list of the Superliner ][ state "Names"
the portland sleeper is the last car on the eb. the rear window of the car is a great picture taking spot if it's clean(good luck with that)

how about a consist Q ..scrape some of my memory rust off,,, . my reservation says 7 going out so I will be on the sleeper either one or two in front of the diner (730/731) ,,, on the way back it tells me I am on 28 so that means I will be on the back end, (2630) second from last - PDX coach the only thing behind me? This sound right?

I also did find a list of the Superliner ][ state "Names"
the portland sleeper is the last car on the eb. the rear window of the car is a great picture taking spot if it's clean(good luck with that)
Normally the Portland sleeper is the last car on the EB. However, last year when I was on #8, they added a car in MSP. Two years ago, on #7, a vehicle hit the baggage car, rendering it useless and it was towed by the train to SEA.

Also, when there are private cars on the EB, they usually are at the end of the train, behind the Portland sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
#8(11) is currently 18 hours late into Chicago! #8(12) is suddenly 12 hours late and is still in North Dakota!

I guess they couldn't have 8(12) catch up or pass 8(11)?

I understand the "new" schedule will read--The Empire Builder will arrive at the various stations along its route at some point in the next several days, The good Lord willing and the creek don't rise, please bring extra water, pillows and snacks!!! Enjoy the journey......

:-((

looks like 8 is taking the Wilmar route - however is currently stopped south of Morehead, as of 0940am.
Wow, rare mileage. One thing I'll say for BNSF, they're good about finding detour routes for Amtrak.

I always thought the Wilmar route was the better passenger route in principle, and it's now the only route which could stop in both Minneapolis *and* St. Paul... ah well.

I'll be on the EB eastbound late August, looking towards the adventure.

Coming back to MA, what are my best options if we arrive CHI too late to connect with 48/448? Hotels? Does Amtrak help me with that at all?

If you are booked on a guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide hotel and money for meals and cab fare as well as replacement transportation. There will either be Chicago Passenger Services representatives boarding up the line like St. Paul or La Crosse with arranbements, or you will be directed to the Passenger Services office in CUS upon arrival.

I have gone through that drill more times than I'd like, but Amtrak is really quite good about it.

Good thing that neither the OTOL Railfest nor the AU Gathering depends on the Empire Builder this year. The OTOL folks are having enough worries with the California Zephyr and the Lake Shore Limited as is.

If you are booked on a guaranteed connection, Amtrak will provide hotel and money for meals and cab fare as well as replacement transportation. There will either be Chicago Passenger Services representatives boarding up the line like St. Paul or La Crosse with arranbements, or you will be directed to the Passenger Services office in CUS upon arrival.

I have gone through that drill more times than I'd like, but Amtrak is really quite good about it.
Say the connection was guaranteed at time of booking....can Amtrak UNguarantee a connection [and therefore, release their responsibility for taking care of the passenger left stranded] at will?

looks like 8 is taking the Wilmar route - however is currently stopped south of Morehead, as of 0940am.
Wow, rare mileage. One thing I'll say for BNSF, they're good about finding detour routes for Amtrak.

I always thought the Wilmar route was the better passenger route in principle, and it's now the only route which could stop in both Minneapolis *and* St. Paul... ah well.
Last time I rode the Willmar route was late 60's on the then GN EB. I guess we did 90mph part way, making up time when the EB (then GN) came out of a blizzard in Montana.

Now, TaT showed the EB doing 40+mph on the Willmar sub. Rare mileage, yes. Good that the BNSF has an alternate route - BUT - OMG, so sloooow.

Say the connection was guaranteed at time of booking....can Amtrak UNguarantee a connection [and therefore, release their responsibility for taking care of the passenger left stranded] at will?
I think they are required to give notice.

Hopefully adequate notice, like, before the passenger's trip even begins! Still haven't heard anything regarding my EB to CONO guaranteed connection in August. Wonder if they have to lose x amount of $$ before they start axing connections.

we had a guaranteed connection eb to cl last year which was missed. it was impossible to get reliable info on the train as to what would be done. when we got to chi 8 hours late we were bused to an outlying hotel(at amtrak's expense) and bused back to the station the next morning for the next day's train. your room is not guaranteed however. you may be offered coach if nothing else is available and you would be compensated for that after the trip. 2 years ago we were connecting eb to cl and arrived into chi 14 hours late. had been told by our conductor and by customer relations we would be lodged in chi and put on that evening's train. when we arrived we were herded into the metro lounge and told to proceed upstairs to our bus for a 16 hour bus ride to dc. arriving there at 1 in the morning.

Thank you, Zephyr.

Amtrak has been pretty good to me in the 5 years I've been traveling cross-country. I've taken the SWC, CS, and CZ, but never the EB.

This time I'm flying to Seattle, staying a week, then taking EB for the return to MA. I'm not in a hurry for the trip home, and if the train is running very late (if????), may get to see some parts of the north in daylight that would "normally" be at night.

I appreciate this forum so much. Thanks to you and all for sharing their expertise and experiences.

" had been told by our conductor and by customer relations we would be lodged in chi and put on that evening's train. when we arrived we were herded into the metro lounge and told to proceed upstairs to our bus for a 16 hour bus ride to dc."

YIKES! bait and switch :eek: What will be, will be......the only healthy attitude to have where this route is concerned.

I saw 8 (11) go through Willmar, MN about 4:00 pm yesterday. We get the Willmar paper and there was an article today in there about the detour even showing a family from southern Minnesota getting off at the Willmar depot to get picked up by family, nice to see Amtrak be accommodating. They were probably some of the first revenue passengers in years to get off in Willmar. If I had the time I bet I could have sweet talked to conductor into letting me ride from Willmar to MSP, of course I'd be willing to pay for the ride if they could figure out how charge that. The train left Willmar about 4:00 pm and got into MSP at 6:48 pm so not too bad a run time and actually not too much slower than driving.

Hopefully you called Customer Relations and received a Nice Voucher which you deserved good for future travel!!!
jim, don't know if you are referring to our adventures or not but it is my theory that after one paid(or agr) eb trip a person could then travel the eb forever on vouchers they could recieve for each subsequent trip
So True unfortunately!

I know someone who was on the EB to Portland last Wednesday. The EB #27 was terminated at Spokane and the EB went on to Seattle to arrive 7 1/2 hours late. My friend and his daughter were put on a crowded bus like a sardine, for the remainder of the trip. They experienced an uncomfortable ride on the full bus and he was really pissed off. The reason for the cancellation of the #27 into Portland was track work. The train was split and the sightseer lounge a sleeping car and two coaches were left behind. The two engines remained on the #7 to SEA.

It was due to track work, all right, but only because the EB was late enough into Spokane that it missed its window. The train did go on, sans passengers, arriving in Portland after 4 AM, 16 1/2 hours late. I don't think your friend would have liked arriving into Portland that late either. ;)

First time poster - sorry if this question is not in the right place!

I am taking the EB from CHI to SEA next month. Since it is often running 6-8 hours late, I assume we will arrive in late afternoon or evening instead of at 11:55am. If the train is delayed, do we get lunch? And if it is extremely delayed, do we get another dinner as well? Just want to know how much food to pack! Thanks!

and maybe dinner too !! - As long as there is food left they will feed you,,, and then its KFC or Amtrak's meals to eat,,,, I will be on the EB in August and don't mind being late at all,,,,, but I am only going to GPK

First time poster - sorry if this question is not in the right place!

I am taking the EB from CHI to SEA next month. Since it is often running 6-8 hours late, I assume we will arrive in late afternoon or evening instead of at 11:55am. If the train is delayed, do we get lunch? And if it is extremely delayed, do we get another dinner as well? Just want to know how much food to pack! Thanks!

Actually, westbound, the timekeeping for the EB isn't too bad, relatively speaking. Last week there was a stretch of three days where it was early into Seattle twice, and late by nine minutes the third. WIth the odd exception, lately 2 hours late is about average. Yesterday's, for instance, was an hour and 20 minutes late, and today's has just left Spokane about 2 hours and 15 minutes down, and usually makes up time between Spokane and Seattle. But, then again, this is the EB we're talking about so anything could happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back