House Passes 2015 THUD ... $1.4 billion for Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cutting the Sunset Limited won't bring back the Desert Wind or any other route. If Amtrak is genuinely interested in saving money in the short term then the hardware currently used by the Sunset will end up sitting in a yard somewhere and the employees who worked that route will be let go.

And there would be a huge gap in passenger train service across the southern perimeter of the continental US.
I don't see a problem with this.
There's a whole laundry list of things you don't see at problems.

It amuses me to see people trying to use facts and logic to try and convince you of something you're ideologically opposed to.

Actually, the hardware would probably go to lengthening the Auto Train, additional cut-off cars on the California Zephyr from Denver to Chicago, additional cut-off cars on the Empire Builder from Chicago to Minneapolis,... or, ideally, to an extended *daily* Texas Eagle.

Actually, the hardware would probably go to lengthening the Auto Train, additional cut-off cars on the California Zephyr from Denver to Chicago, additional cut-off cars on the Empire Builder from Chicago to Minneapolis,... or, ideally, to an extended *daily* Texas Eagle.
Chris is right on this one, while what you post sounds good it's not gonna happen with the current political climate and the current Amtrak management!

How would they be able to extend the auto-train? I thought they had already reached the HEP cutoff. Are you saying they'll be removing dining cars now? As for the CZ that route also loses money and I doubt that adding more cars to Denver will make it more profitable. Maybe cutting the route in half and ending at Denver would have a chance to improve financial performance. The Empire Builder is living in its own perpetual tailspin that could suck up as many trains as you dare to throw at it, but probably won't get any closer to recouping losses for years to come. A daily Texas Eagle would be a very big and very expensive "FU" to congress and I seriously doubt Boardman has anywhere near the kind of support or chutzpah such an undertaking would require.

Last edited by a moderator:
Board an has zero chutzpah. He started these 'cuts' and expected to appease the naysayers. Instead, as it now shows, when he started negotiating with congressional terrorists, he gets his butt handed to him.......if he stood his ground to begin with, who knows?

Just curious: at what point should Amtrak be forced to stand or fall on its own?

Because if Amtrak is paying $16 for a hamburger they sell for $9.50, its problems are unsolvable.

Sent from my iPad Air using Amtrak Forum

Just curious: at what point should Amtrak be forced to stand or fall on its own?

Because if Amtrak is paying $16 for a hamburger they sell for $9.50, its problems are unsolvable.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics. The labor and equipment maintenance for those Hamburgers make up the vast bulk of that price. The labor alone is probably in the $7-$10 range. I doubt they pay more than $5 for the burger and related materials.

If Amtrak is selling Y additional fares of Z dollars (fares that they would not have got absent the availability of hamburgers), by selling X hamburgers for $9.50, and Y * Z is much greater than X * ($16 - $9.50), why is that a problem? It sounds more like a solution to me.
People are also using the toilets on the trains for free and the toilet business is a net cost sink, and the toilet business is certainly not Amtrak's primary business. So should toilet service be discontinued too?

And the House Cafeteria and the Senate Dining Room have Heavily subsidized Meals and Drink along with all the other Perks! Congress, Americas Welfare Class!

If Amtrak is selling Y additional fares of Z dollars (fares that they would not have got absent the availability of hamburgers), by selling X hamburgers for $9.50, and Y * Z is much greater than X * ($16 - $9.50), why is that a problem? It sounds more like a solution to me.
People are also using the toilets on the trains for free and the toilet business is a net cost sink, and the toilet business is certainly not Amtrak's primary business. So should toilet service be discontinued too?
Are you seriously making the argument that people ride Amtrak because of the hamburgers?
That brings to mind "The Holy Grail": "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?"

I will open this important topic back for public comment.

However, if you have never read THIS POST or it has been a while since you have, please read it to refresh your memory.

Thanks, Tom.

In case anyone is too lazy to click through, here's the important bits:

No political mentions, references, insinuations, or likenesses permitted in forum signatures, avatars, or user names. I don't care if the person or party SUPPORTS Amtrak with a given policy -- just forget about it.

Any post that expresses favor or preference for or against a specific politician, political candidate, or political party, or what they stand for, may be deleted at any staff member's discretion. The goal here is to protect the good-natured civility we all enjoy here on the forum. Common sense will dictate whether a post is likely to provoke other members. If we are lucky, the member will exercise such common sense before posting, and no intervention will be required.

Any post that expresses favor or preference for or against another member's political views will be deleted.

Any thread that continues to attract posts of an overly subjective political nature will be locked, pruned of offending material, or in some cases, completely deleted.

If you disagree with a moderation decision made by a forum staff member, take it up with that person (or an Administrator) in a private message, NOT in public.
It looks like we have a whole thread (or had last night, at least) that violated that last one.

It's good that the moderators here don't enforce that the way they do on some other websites; at least two that I know of allow disproven right-wing economic ideology to be spouted continuously, but censor any fact-based criticism of them.

There can be no meaningful, or indeed civil, discussion of passenger rail in the US without discussing politics, and indeed without discussing individual politicians (John Mica, for instance). Thankfully the moderators here appear to recognize this.

Are you seriously making the argument that people ride Amtrak because of the hamburgers?
First question from four or five different people who'd never ridden passenger trains when I explained that I was taking Amtrak: "Do they have those dining cars?". It made the difference between whether they considered taking the train or not. They then explained (each of them) that they disliked being on a bus or plane with nothing to eat except what they'd brought...

Seriously, it's the question I always get, and sometimes I get it asked even before "what's the schedule".

By the, FYI the anti-Sunset Limited amendment which was accepted on voice vote was later superseded y a broader motion which was defeated using recorded vote. So the anti-Sunset Limited amendment is gone.

Amendment to HR 4745 (FY' 15 Transp. & HUD appropriation) to prohibit the use of funds to support any route whose costs exceed twice its revenues, based on Amtak's FY '13-''17 Five Year Plan of May 2013.
Failed 250 - 167
As it was explained, this one being a broader amendment than the one accepted by voice vote, this result rules.

Excellent news his, thanks for the update!

And neroden is spot on! The second question I get when I evangalize about Amtrak after " You mean there's still passenger trains that come through Austin?" is " And can you get food and something to drink when you ride them?"

By the, FYI the anti-Sunset Limited amendment which was accepted on voice vote was later superseded y a broader motion which was defeated using recorded vote. So the anti-Sunset Limited amendment is gone.

Amendment to HR 4745 (FY' 15 Transp. & HUD appropriation) to prohibit the use of funds to support any route whose costs exceed twice its revenues, based on Amtak's FY '13-''17 Five Year Plan of May 2013.

Failed 250 - 167
As it was explained, this one being a broader amendment than the one accepted by voice vote, this result rules.
I'm not sure I buy that - I can't find any mention of this amendment superseding the other in the transcript:

Amendment Offered by Mr. Sessions

Mr. SESSIONS. Madam Chairman, I have an amendment at the desk.

The Acting CHAIR. The Clerk will report the amendment.

The Clerk read as follows:

At the end of the bill, before the short title, insert the

following new section:

Sec. 417. None of the funds made available by this Act

shall be used to support any Amtrak route whose costs exceed

2 times its revenues, as based on the National Railroad

Passenger Corporation Fiscal Years 2013-2017 Five Year Plan

from May 2013.

The Acting CHAIR. The gentleman from Texas is recognized for 5

minutes.

Mr. SESSIONS. Madam Chairman, once again I stand up in a continuing

theme of what I believe fiscally responsible Members who come to the

floor should look at--the operation of Amtrak.

[[Page H5231]]

Today, once again, I come to the floor to offer my ideas about how we

can help, especially during troubling financial times for the American

taxpayer with our Federal Government, that we can look at and find ways

to where we work with Amtrak.

Years ago I met with the chairman of the board, who openly

acknowledged that there were challenges that Amtrak faced, not just

safety issues, but many other issues that dealt with their financial

integrity.

I told him I would continue doing these kinds of amendments, and he

considered this, in a sense, an opportunity for the people who provide

money, meaning the taxpayers of the United States, to have a say about

the operation of how their money would be used. That is the same spirit

that I am here on the floor today.

Madam Chairman, my amendment would eliminate funding for Amtrak

routes that have total direct costs that are more than twice the

revenue that they produce. That means, if the cost is twice as much as

the revenue, I think that that should be a solid reason why someone

should consider eliminating those routes.

They are all over the place, and I believe that Amtrak continues to

provide these, accept government money, and they don't give two flips

about what we think about the use of the taxpayer money. And so I think

it is worth our time to be here.

Every single long-distance route that Amtrak provides over 400 miles

in length operates at a loss every single month. If they have got a

route that is more than 400 miles, I mean, we are helping them out

here, Madam Chairman.

We are helping out Amtrak, and we are saying to them, if you have got

something more than 400 miles, you are operating at a loss.

Now we are saying, however, if it is twice the cost of the revenue,

that is what we would like to have you look at. And I think that it

would be an argument for us, as a provider of money, to say, look, we

think that you should help people. Maybe when they call in to you to

take Amtrak, if it is one of those routes, why don't you suggest to

them that they fly aircraft, that they take a bus, that they do

something where the American taxpayer is not on the line.

The bottom line is, if you combine seven routes that are taken in

this parameter, the American taxpayer pays $332.8 million for this

subsidy. $332 million is maybe not a lot of money to Amtrak, but that

is a darn lot amount of money for the American people to be putting

into Amtrak to have them waste.

I believe it is a waste. I believe it could be not only better

allocated, but utilized in a better way, like shifting people who are

coming to you--let's take an alternative. Let's maybe take an airplane.

It is clear that the government subsidizes rail service on Amtrak,

and it does not make economic sense that they take advantage of that.

So, Madam Chairman, it is real simple. This is an opportunity for the

people who represent taxpayers to simply come forth and say, let's have

a vote on this, that we believe that that is too much money. 332

million bucks should not be used on these seven routes, and that is why

I am here today.

So, Madam Chairman, I urge all my colleagues to support what I think

is a commonsense amendment.

I yield back the balance of my time.

Mr. LATHAM. Madam Chairman, I move to strike the last word.

The Acting CHAIR. The gentleman from Iowa is recognized for 5

minutes.

Mr. LATHAM. Madam Chairman, I rise in opposition to the amendment.

While I support the efforts and reforms to move Amtrak to operate in a

more efficient and effective manner, I must oppose this amendment.

I appreciate very much the gentleman from Texas, my good friend, and

his raising this issue. The gentleman's amendment would eliminate seven

Amtrak routes and eliminate rail service to dozens of cities and towns

of all sizes across America.

Just to list, those would be California Zephyr, which goes from

Chicago to Emeryville, California, which happens to go through Iowa;

Cardinal Hoosier line, which is Chicago to New York; Coast Star Light,

from Seattle to Los Angeles; the Crescent, from New York City to New

Orleans; Silver Star, from New York City to Miami; Southwest Chief,

from Chicago to Los Angeles; and the Sunset Limited, from Los Angeles

to New Orleans.

{time} 1745

Again, I appreciate very much what the gentleman is trying to do. I

just think we need to work on efficiency at Amtrak.

We have been trying very, very hard, through all of our hearings and

through our contact with Amtrak, to get efficiency and to modernize and

to try to get them to a profitable state; but unfortunately, I must

oppose this amendment, just because of the vast impact it would have on

so many people.

Mr. PASTOR of Arizona. Madam Chair, I move to strike the last word.

The Acting CHAIR. The gentleman is recognized for 5 minutes.

Mr. PASTOR of Arizona. Madam Chair, I also agree with the chairman

for the reasons he stated.

I rise in opposition to this amendment. It would dismantle Amtrak,

the only resemblance of a rail system that we have in this Nation.

Obviously, we need to work with them, so that Amtrak becomes more

efficient, but this amendment would dismantle it, and for that reason,

I oppose the amendment.

The Acting CHAIR. The question is on the amendment offered by the

gentleman from Texas (Mr. Sessions).

The question was taken; and the Acting Chair announced that the noes

appeared to have it.

Mr. SESSIONS. Madam Chairman, I demand a recorded vote.

The Acting CHAIR. Pursuant to clause 6 of rule XVIII, further

proceedings on the amendment offered by the gentleman from Texas will

be postponed.
It is good to see a Representative from Arizona stand up and speak against the amendment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back