What the heck is happening in CUS on the LD routes today?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
California Zephyr, SW Chief, Empire Builder....all hours late. If this keeps up its going to kill the system as it is making connections to the east impossible to make. If I were Boardman I would be making a big stink with the railroads. How can you market and sell a long distance system with poor performance like this? Perhaps it is the intent of the freight railroads to put Amtrak out of the LD business by constantly delaying the service?

My boyfriend is on the SWC right now. He said they had to wait for them to hook up a second engine.

He didn't see the front of the train when boarding, so he didn't know if it already had a second one that ended up getting swapped due to mechanical issues or if it was missing one and they just had to wait for a second one to arrive.

They departed CUS 70 minutes late. He said the (coach) car attendant was really good about keeping them informed and let them know they'd lose power while they attached the second engine.

Since it was a 70-minute delay, I'm hoping they'll make up some of that time in KCY or shortly thereafter while crossing KS. Here's hoping they don't have any more issues along the way. /crosses fingers

Last edited by a moderator:
The SWC that is supposed to arrive in FLG today is now over 4 hours late! It's been a horrible week this week for SWC! Hope it gets corrected soon as I leave in less then 2 weeks.

Just pulled up swc3 for today. Looks like it sat in Raton, NM for almost 5 hours before leaving???

Wow! Just checked, the #6 is expected to be 8 hours late into LNK, that's even worse than usual this last week!

All of the Class Is have power all over the country these days. If anyone photographed this, it is likely to be a rare photo: the first and only NS engine over Raton Pass!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wake up call. BNSF has told Amtrak that if they choose to stay on present route Amtrak is on its own. If had been derailment still same. For NS to have to rescue Amtrak on BNSF Track--- is that saying something? Though could be a loaner on NS to BNSF. I guess Boardman and the Board want the honor of stranding people on a mountain pass . Picked a good spot on Colorado side just before entering Tunnel.

Wake up call. BNSF has told Amtrak that if they choose to stay on present route Amtrak is on its own. If had been derailment still same. For NS to have to rescue Amtrak on BNSF Track--- is that saying something? Though could be a loaner on NS to BNSF. I guess Boardman and the Board want the honor of stranding people on a mountain pass . Picked a good spot on Colorado side just before entering Tunnel.
Class 1's use each others power all the time. Are you suggesting that NS sent a locomotive from say, St. Louis, to rescue the SWC? Nonsense. It was probably a locomotive that BNSF had on hand at Pueblo or some other nearby place.

Happened again today--stranded on Raton PASS. THIS time about 2hrs.

Happened again today--stranded on Raton PASS. THIS time about 2hrs.
What are you talking about? My boyfriend sent me a message from Raton about 20 minutes ago. He's on #3. They haven't had any delays since the initial 70-minute delay out of CUS. They're only 50-60 minutes behind schedule now.

#4 hasn't even reached the pass yet. It's just SW of ABQ and is 90 minutes behind schedule.

Wow. We are leaving next Tuesday for our trip on #3 to ABQ. If I see another NS loco on the head end, I guess I know we are in trouble. :p At least make it a Heritage Engine so we can have a one of a kind photo shoot.. :giggle:

Wow. We are leaving next Tuesday for our trip on #3 to ABQ. If I see another NS loco on the head end, I guess I know we are in trouble. :p At least make it a Heritage Engine so we can have a one of a kind photo shoot.. :giggle:
We will be on that train as we'll! Traveling to flagstaff!

Class 1's use each others power all the time. Are you suggesting that NS sent a locomotive from say, St. Louis, to rescue the SWC? Nonsense. It was probably a locomotive that BNSF had on hand at Pueblo or some other nearby place.
I was on 3(22) that got stuck. A BNSF loco was paired with the NS one on the way up to where we were and then the BNSF loco left. Annoucement onboard said the loco came from Trinidad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back