Acela Connection Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
Ok, I'm having an issue with the "fine lady" at the CA in Boston South Station (the CA here is the nicest in the system; the staff, on the other hand...).

Basically, here's the deal: Amtrak.com sells tickets connecting between the Acela and other trains with <60 minute connection times (in particular, 2253 to 97, the annoyance in question). The connection is 30 minutes. This is not unlike the connection between the 0500 Acela out of WAS and the Adirondack (Acela arrival 0745, Adirondack departure 0815). I believe the latter connection has been sold for at least two years; I believe a similar connection at NYP for the Meteor has been sold for several years as well.

So there are two options: Either the Acela allows a 30 minute connection (and this is, in fact, upheld in numerous case on the website without any sort of warning, and I can produce the connections on demand) or the website is being, bluntly, stupid.

Edit: I'm more than mildly irked because this shows as the legal connection (making booking anything else a pain in the arse) and I'm only being told this by a rather temperamental station agent at the last minute...and because I'm being told that I was booked on an improper connection at 0715 on a Saturday morning when I just spent two hours on a bus from Portland, and when it would presumably cost me over $40 to do the upgrade. Let's just suffice it to say that this moment is not one of Amtrak's shining moments.

Edit 2: Also, my understanding is that the Acela does have a tighter allowable connection time than a Regional due to priority status.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I understand how the BOS Club Acela agent is involved with this. Are you asking the agent to make the reservation or change your existing reservation and the agent is refusing? Amtrak.com definitely shows the 2253>NYP>97 connection, which means Arrow shows it as well.

The CA agent tried to hector me (and I think "hector" is probably the right word here) into changing my reservation...which would also involve my friend having to switch his AGR ticket (and my upgraded one...we're both in FC on the Acela). Basically, my bus came in at 0700 from Portland and I had a pre-booked reservation. The reservation was only on separate numbers because my friend had an AGR res, and mixed AGR+non-AGR reservations just don't "do".

I'm still confused!

Are you saying you're booked on (say) a noon AE and you want to change to a 7:30 AE because your bus was early, and were not allowed? I don't see her problem. You're standing there, so you can make the earlier train!

I think the agent saw the itinerary and that Anderson arrived early and asked him if he wanted to switch his Acela to an earlier Acela for a longer D.C. layover and would gladly charge him the difference in fare for reissuing the ticket.

I'm still confused!

Are you saying you're booked on (say) a noon AE and you want to change to a 7:30 AE because your bus was early, and were not allowed? I don't see her problem. You're standing there, so you can make the earlier train!
No, I'm saying that I did NOT want to rebook but the agent was trying to pressure me into booking the earlier reservation.

Also, it was a question of layover at NYP, not WAS. That (I've spent way too much time in NYP) plus meeting a friend at BOS for an hour-long chat made me not want the earlier train.

Edit: And SubwayNut has it about dead on. The new ticket would have cost me an extra $40 or so, and seeing as it's an actual paper ticket with an upgrade card having been used, I would not be surprised if I'd have ended up short either an additional upgrade card or the FC upgrade cost as well (since such switches tend to be a royal pain).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes the BOS club acela folks are annoying. LIke the time my H - who is select plus - and I had an hour to kill and we happened to be wandering around the city near South Station. I needed to use the ladies room so we went up to the Club Acela. The attendant was baffled as to why we would randomly come in without a train ticket and didn't want to let us in. Now, I can see if they didn't want to let me in as my H is the card holder, but the attendant didn't even want to let my H in with his S+ card. ***?

(Random announcement on board the train...

"This is the Acela Express...this is NOT the Regional...if you have a Regional ticket you must get off at this time.")

(Random announcement on board the train...

"This is the Acela Express...this is NOT the Regional...if you have a Regional ticket you must get off at this time.")
I have noticed that is a common announcement between BOS - PVD. There are a few times a day that an acela comes through with a regional timed maybe 5-10 minutes after it. There is often confusion at PVD in the mornings because an acela comes through heading south, followed a few minutes later by a SB regional, which often ends up across the platform from the NB regional.

Sometimes the BOS club acela folks are annoying. LIke the time my H - who is select plus - and I had an hour to kill and we happened to be wandering around the city near South Station. I needed to use the ladies room so we went up to the Club Acela. The attendant was baffled as to why we would randomly come in without a train ticket and didn't want to let us in. Now, I can see if they didn't want to let me in as my H is the card holder, but the attendant didn't even want to let my H in with his S+ card. ***?
Its Boston, those Attendants can sometimes have more 'Tude than the CHI Dragons! :help:

(1) We arrived on time at NYP.

(2) I'm probably going to write Customer Relations about the incident, since this really borders on an attempt to scam my friend and I out of two rail fare inflations under what borders on false pretenses (I take it to sincerely be a misunderstanding in need of training, but...yeah, not happy about this).

Its Boston, those Attendants can sometimes have more 'Tude than the CHI Dragons! :help:
I have a United Club card, which gives me access to the Clubs Acela. My family and I were in Cambridge for a month last summer 2013 (my wife had a month-long fellowship at Harvard) and I visited the CA about once a week. I never heard a complaining peep from an attendant. I felt like I was casing the joint (I suppose I was, seeing what it was like when my daughter and I took the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago).

Yes. I have successfully used my United Club card in the Boston Club Acela. no problem with that. As a matter of fact on the same day I used my United Club Card once and my Select Plus card the second time, and just as it should be, there was no problem at all.

My problems in Boston are typically not with Club Acela folks, but with the gate agents, who seem to be all in a state of superannuation.

I side with you Jim on this matter. On the few occasions utilizing the CA Lounge in BOS my experience do not find those attendants warm and fuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back