It's back (the 50% points purchase bonus)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Lead Service Attendant
Well, for me at least. I just got an email a few minutes ago advising of a 50% bonus on purchased AGR points through June 30. The email uses the language "Offer limited to member and member number addressed in this communication", so it's probably targeted. I can't for the life of me think what would cause me to be targeted, though. I've never bought points before, which might have something to do with it.

I can max out at 15,000 points for $275, which is enough for a 1 zone roomette award. That's enough for, say TUS-SEA, which is usually over $1000. Seems like a deal to me.

I believe it's targeted. My wife just forwarded me an email that she got from a points watching site. That one said a 10% bonus for buying 1,000-4,500 points, 30% if you buy 5,000-9,500 and 50% if you buy the full 10,000.

When I went to buy points to check, I didn't see any bonus offered. :(

Just received the 50% bonus offer via email. First time for me so I definitely jumped on it. Previously purchased points in 12/12 & 12/13 during 30% bonus offers and just recently made my first redemption.

I've never bought points before (and am S+) and got this offer this morning. I think I'm going finally take advantage and buy the 1,500 points for $275 (although the part of me that is trying to re-qualify for S+, my Amtrak travel is down significantly this year is hitting itself on its head if I do)

Anyone who receives the 50% Bonus Offer should jump on it! Its a good deal! (*I was fortunate enough to get it this year, the past couple of years it was only 30℅!I am Select!)

Question: Do Select Executive Members get these offers since there is No Limit as to the # of points they can buy? And if so, does theBonus apply to Points purchased over 10,000?

Yippee, I got the 50% offer. I didn't buy last year because I had enough points for the trip I was planning.

I have not gotten any bonus deal the past couple of years. :( Maybe my current points balance is the culprit. :unsure: I have quite a lot saved up.

Got that 50% deal,as well this morning. We're accumulating points for a cross country round trip in a roomette. 40,000 for two zones each way, We live in Central Pa, so we'll spring for the coach fare to Toledo. Hoping we can still use the EB to CS connection with an overnight on our dime. I've been taking short hops on the Keystones during double days, With this 50 percent bonus this is a better deal than the 400 points from Harrisburg to Elizabethtown round trip $11.05 senior fare.. Wish I would have gotten this deal earlier this year. I probably wouldn't have taken so many little trips. The gas to get to the train station far exceeded the cost of the train trip..

Hi guys,

I also received the email yesterday. I haven't purchased any points since 2012, and neither have I traveled on Amtrak, so I haven't been a good customer lately. I do have the AGR credit card. Perhaps this is a "Come back" type of promotion for us wayward customers?

The 50% bonus that I received applies to a purchase of 10,000 points and is valid until June 30, as others have said. The email states that the points can also be gifted. I will probably buy the points, although my favorite route (ATN--NOL) is a relatively cheap one, or still was the last time I checked. I just haven't taken it since hubby passed away, but probably will take it again at some point.

My long, drawn out cross-country trip is still on the "someday" list, and will take mega-points when/if I can make it happen.

I seldom receive any targeted offers, so I was very surprised to get this one.

Back