449 - Lunch out of Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russianrail

Train Attendant
How are the box lunches served on 449? I am looking at a New England Trip and debating if the Lounge Access in Boston and lunch on 449 is "worth" the sleeper cost for travel within Massachusetts. (I know the value of "worth" is different for everyone, but just trying to get a feel on the food aspect).

Thanks.

Sleeping car Passengers on #448/#449 between BOS and ALB are served a choice of a Sandwich or Salad served by their SCA in the Cafe Car or you can choose from the Cafe Menu if you'd like! It's not bad food and after/before Albany you have your meals in the Diner! (Those on the NYPsection on #48 get nothing but the Northbound #49 does have Diner in the Diner between NYP and ALB!

When I've taking this train, it was not a box lunch, but rather a limited menu served in the cafe car.

You can see my trip report (75% circle trip) on this very train back in mid February in the Travelogue section of this forum . And yes, the sleeper room is worth it provided you get the lowest bucket (I believe it is $59). The report includes a unique spin on the lunch service by the SCA.

I've ridden 449 recently. That being in September. The SCA Bill informed us lunch would be served after Worcester, Or Wooster to the Mass locals.. The LSA in the cafe offered a sandwich that was similar to an Italian Hoagie. It wasn't that bad. Except for the pesto sauce that was on the sandwich. Very heavy flavor of something. Couldn't figure it out. But other then that, it was soft drinks and chips. The SCA Bill delivered dessert to our room. We had a choice of a brownie and cheesecake. The lady friend and I split each one. Bill is a good SCA very friendly and very funny.

I've ridden 449 recently. That being in September. The SCA Bill informed us lunch would be served after Worcester, Or Wooster to the Mass locals.. The LSA in the cafe offered a sandwich that was similar to an Italian Hoagie. It wasn't that bad. Except for the pesto sauce that was on the sandwich. Very heavy flavor of something. Couldn't figure it out. But other then that, it was soft drinks and chips. The SCA Bill delivered dessert to our room. We had a choice of a brownie and cheesecake. The lady friend and I split each one. Bill is a good SCA very friendly and very funny.
I was on 449 a little more recently than that. Last week actually. :)

I also had Bill as my SCA and I agree that he is one of the good ones. He just asked me if I was a vegetarian and I replied "No". He showed up a short time later with a plate that had a cold roast beef and cheese sandwich on a pretzel roll, a small portion of a spring-mix salad with feta cheese and a couple olives, and chips. It was all pretty good. He asked what I wanted to drink and I said "Iced tea" assuming that I would just get a plastic cup of tea with ice. Instead, Bill returned with a fairly large (20 oz.) sealed square plastic bottle of lemon flavored iced tea (the brand-name escapes me) and a plastic cup full of ice. He then later stopped by with the offer of cheesecake, brownie (or both), and also offered some fresh strawberry slices to compliment either selection.

All-in-all a very good trip. The crew in the dining car (a couple of miles, it seemed, behind my Boston sleeper) was one of the better ones that I have experienced. The trek to the dining car the next morning was especially tricky as we had apparently gone through a rather extensive snow storm the night before and every between-car vestibule had a considerable amount of snow, frost, ice build-up and slick, wet floors approaching and departing said vestibule. A new experience for this west coast boy and quite a shock at first. :eek:

I loved Bill. He left Resse's Cups on our pillows when we had our beds turned down. We learned his nickname is the Sleeper Monkey. His co-workers gave to him as he is the SCA and climbs like a monkey around to make beds. He posted some hilarious signs with the coffee in the morning. This trip was my GF's first Sleeper train ride and when I told her he was a good one she didn't understand till we got on the Cap to DC later in the trip.

I didn't get the Resse's Cups. :(

However, Bill was the first and only SCA that I have encountered that, instead of requesting to see my ticket, simply asked for my last name (boarding early at Boston I had already shown my ticket just to get beyond the first checkpoint). When I told him, just off the top of his head, he said, "Room 3, your name is displayed outside your door". :blink:

Is this a common occurence on the LSL or is this just a 'Bill' thing? This was also my first trip in a Viewliner so maybe some things are done differently than on the western trains. :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Several of the SCAs on the LSL put names tags on the roomette windows. That also helps to break the ice with introductions to your neighbors.

Too bad I didn't have Bill on my recent trip on the 448. My guy never even told me his name and hid in the H room for half the trip.

Cristobal

Sorry about you're not getting the peanut butter cup. I ran out but am re-stocked so come back. Everyone else, thanks for the compliments!

Cristobal

Sorry about you're not getting the peanut butter cup. I ran out but am re-stocked so come back. Everyone else, thanks for the compliments!
Hahaha... Maybe next year.

Keep up the great work and attitude Bill. You are definitely one of the better ones. :)

LSL Boston section is the only Amtrak sleeper route we haven't ridden. Hope to correct that this summer and maybe have Bill for our SCA.

A trip with a good SCA is much more enjoyable. Wonder if he gets some grief from fellow employees for giving such outstanding service.

LSL Boston section is the only Amtrak sleeper route we haven't ridden. Hope to correct that this summer and maybe have Bill for our SCA.

A trip with a good SCA is much more enjoyable. Wonder if he gets some grief from fellow employees for giving such outstanding service.
Everything Amtrak about my trip from Boston was excellent. The weather pretty much sucked while I was there but the Amtrak peeps were all first rate. From the very friendly women in Club Acela (I was there twice. Once to ride first-class on the Acela and then again to begin my return home in a sleeper on the LSL) to the woman at the Amtrak ticket window when I stopped by just to ask about where to go to check a bag when I returned in a couple of days. Even the bag check guy seemed to have a jovial attitude. Then there was Bill... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back