Surfliner Info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterKsfo

Train Attendant
Greetings

I'll be back in California in a couple of weeks, and so thinking of my route of travel. I've been on the Coast Starlight a few times, both in coach and sleeper, but never been on the Surfliner, so thinking of doing one of those.

Since its a "special route" for guest rewards, I can do a business class ticket for significantly less than coach travel on the CS. How is business class on the Surfliners?

Also, if I take train 761, I can be on rail from LAX to SLO before getting on the bus;

If I take train 763, I could originate at SAN, but only goes as far as SBA - then get on the bus from there.

Any thoughts on the better legs to travel SAN-SBA vs. LAX-SLO?

I will then get bus from either train up to SJC, and then get Caltrain from SJC to San Francisco.

Thanks for any suggestions

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
The Surfliners are, in my opinion, nice cars. The downgrade from the Coast Starlight is not having a sightseer lounge and a actual dining car. Surfliner business class seating is, I believe, the same as coach , but you get a free snack and beverage, including wine, if desired.

The most scenic portion of the rail route between LA and the Bay Area is between SBA and SLO. The rail route includes oceanside areas that are not readily accessible by car or bus, including within Vandenberg Air Force Base. I would definitely recommend taking 761 from LAX to SLO, then the bus from there to SJC and Caltrain.

I'd second that opinion. The ride via train is nice between SBA and SLO. I have done both options many times and I prefer the train to SLO and the shorter bus ride to SJC.

Surfliner Business Class has slightly more leg room than a Surfliner coach. It also includes the snack and beverage as mentioned above.

Regardless I'd pick train 761 if your travel plans allow. Business class is nice, however if you are getting on at the first stop of the day in LAX, seating shouldn't be much of a problem in coach depending on how many points you'd like to spend.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had remembered that part of the ride on th CS was really beautiful right along the coast (per its nameless) and couldn't remember which stretch was the nicest.

Anyone know why the surf liners don't continue up to Oakland to meet up with the Capital Corridor line? Is the track too congested and unreliable that they only run the CS through?

Anyone know why the surf liners don't continue up to Oakland to meet up with the Capital Corridor line? Is the track too congested and unreliable that they only run the CS through?
No but, there is always a discussion re-surfacing regarding a "Coast Daylight" to fill that gap.

Actually (ironically) the Coast Starlight is "daylight" between LAX-OKJ, and becomes "starlight" north of Oakland. What I think would be great would be to have a west coast "night owl" leaving both LAX and OKJ around 900pm to arrive at the opposite side early in the morning.

What I think would be great would be to have a west coast "night owl" leaving both LAX and OKJ around 900pm to arrive at the opposite side early in the morning.
There used to be TWO: Southern Pacific ran the Lark over the coast route now used by the Starlight, and the Owl ran inland, through the Central Valley and over the Tehachapi mountains (and loop!).

The Lark (and owl): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lark_(train)

From 1981 to 1983 Amtrak ran the rare California-funded train with sleeper service over the Lark's route - Spirit of California.

No but, there is always a discussion re-surfacing regarding a "Coast Daylight" to fill that gap.
The Coastal Rail Coordinating Council has been "discussing" the Daylight for 15 years and been ready to start it for 5. The catch --- money.

Actually (ironically) the Coast Starlight is "daylight" between LAX-OKJ, and becomes "starlight" north of Oakland. What I think would be great would be to have a west coast "night owl" leaving both LAX and OKJ around 900pm to arrive at the opposite side early in the morning.
Correct!

Greetings

I'll be back in California in a couple of weeks, and so thinking of my route of travel. I've been on the Coast Starlight a few times, both in coach and sleeper, but never been on the Surfliner, so thinking of doing one of those.

Since its a "special route" for guest rewards, I can do a business class ticket for significantly less than coach travel on the CS. How is business class on the Surfliners?

Also, if I take train 761, I can be on rail from LAX to SLO before getting on the bus;

If I take train 763, I could originate at SAN, but only goes as far as SBA - then get on the bus from there.

Any thoughts on the better legs to travel SAN-SBA vs. LAX-SLO?

I will then get bus from either train up to SJC, and then get Caltrain from SJC to San Francisco.

Thanks for any suggestions

Peter
I take it twice a week in Business Class.

Morning and Afternoon Snacks

Two Types of Seats

Wow - thanks for the er...lovely pictures. You are making me think that it might not even be worth the extra 500 points for the upgrade. Though perhaps the best benefit of business class may be a little peace and quiet.

I recently was on the MRR from KCY to STL, and kicked myself for not getting the business class seats when I noticed how luxurious they are on the Horizon cars.

I think it is a double edge sword that there is a lack of consistency across Amtrak. Its kind of nice that different routes provide different experiences, but then you're never sure exactly what you will get.

Though perhaps the best benefit of business class may be a little peace and quiet.
BC guarantees a seat. Peace and quiet is another issue. Once rode a Surfliner with a bad ordered café car. To compensate, the Business car was thrown open to Coach passengers, coffee and goodies on the house. Needless to say, Business passengers were subjected to a lot of noisy to-and-fro traipsing - courtesy of Coachoids - during that run.

Still, generally right; usually fairly peaceful and quiet.

Except one time I got stuck with the "Gang of Four" on the way to San Diego, but that's another story...

Wow - thanks for the er...lovely pictures. You are making me think that it might not even be worth the extra 500 points for the upgrade. Though perhaps the best benefit of business class may be a little peace and quiet.

I recently was on the MRR from KCY to STL, and kicked myself for not getting the business class seats when I noticed how luxurious they are on the Horizon cars.

I think it is a double edge sword that there is a lack of consistency across Amtrak. Its kind of nice that different routes provide different experiences, but then you're never sure exactly what you will get.
The extra peace and quiet is well worth it. Also, the seat pitch diference between coach and BC is signifiant. So is the recline. I can sleep in BC but not in coach. The lack of space and recline actually puts a lot of odd pressure points on your lower back and feet when its on the foot rest that makes sleeping hard.

I did get to take the Surfliner this past weekend. I decided to do it southbound, rather than northbound, in order to enjoy it all during the daytime, and my goal was to get the 655am train that goes the whole way from SLO-SAN on Friday morning.

I flew from BOS-SFO, but then found it a challenge to get from the airport to SLO on Thursday evening. My initial thought was to take Bart/Caltran from SFO to SJC, and then the Amtrak bus from SJC to SLO on Thurday evening to be in place for the morning train - and get to see the farmers market/street festival in SLO on Thursday night.

I planned to use AGR points for the train from SLO-SAN, and figured that I could not add the bus into the itinerary for the night before, so thought I would just buy the bus ticket - but I could not. Though the amtrak mobile app displays the busses alone and the fare, once you get to the end to pay for it, it advises that it can not be booked without a train. (I later saw on the regular website that they block out the availability and fare and give a preemptive message that it can not be booked.) Sounds like this is a bug on the mobile app.

I called AGR to see if they could do the itinerary together - bus Thursday night and train Friday morning - either for one 1500 point deduction or even for two 1500 point deductions, but they said that they could not do it at all, due to being two separate itineraries.

So the "trick" I had to come up with to do it was to get off Caltrain at Santa Clara - one stop short of San Jose, and then buy a ticket for the Capital Corridor from SCC to SJC which allowed me to buy the bus ticket on to SLO. It was funny, as I could see downtown San Jose, just a couple of miles away from the Santa Clara station!

The train was great though; I ended up doing coach, which was quite fine. I noticed that there some cars had the "refurbished" seats which look newer, but are less comfortable. Most of the cars though had the seats with a full recline, and so I didn't think that business class was necessary at all.

All in all, another great trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back