Amfleet Business Car being used for coach on Vermonter (56/21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeskierInVT

Lead Service Attendant
I've personally never seen this before, but on today's northbound Vermonter (56/21) there's six cars total instead of the usual five, with extra car being a full Amfleet Business Class car normally used on the Regionals. It's being used for normal coach seats, so essentially I got myself a free BC upgrade from NHV to Vermont!

How often are BC cars used for coachclass seats?

-Josh

It's being used for normal coach seats, so essentially I got myself a free BC upgrade from NHV to Vermont!
BC on the Vermonter are those La-Z-Boy like 2-1 seats. IMHO, you got an upgrade, but not a full BC upgrade. :D

An occasional use of a Capstone BC to sub for a Coach on corridor trains is not that unusual. I have seen it done at least half a dozen times.

OTOH, using a food service car as a baggage car on Palmetto, now that is way more unusual! But has happened in the recent past.

OT: I did once see a Capstone coach used as a bag on the Crescent.

I once took a regional in coach on one of those holidays where so many travel they put whatever they have available into service. (I think it was Christmas Day.) The first available COACH seat I came across (3 cars back from where I boarded) was in an ex-Metroliner club café with the 2x1 seating! The bad :) thing was it was on the "1" side! :eek:

Today's train was at high bucket when I looked this morning (unusual on the Vermonter but it's becoming more frequent- I guess that's good in terms of ridership), so perhaps that's why an extra car was added?

I experienced that on the Vermonter this past summer. The car was full, I sat in the cab car.

I've also enjoyed 'free upgrades' on Northeast Regionals, once on a train with an additional Business Class car in use as a coach and this car at the end of the train was much less crowded than the rest of the train. I also once got a seat in a Club/Cafe car in use in a regional and was told to help myself to one of the ex-Metroliner seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back