active revenue management

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amamba

Engineer
So I am taking a weekend trip to NYC the first weekend in February.

I have been watching the prices, and I bought acela tix for Sunday 2/2 about three weeks ago, but they were on the high side - $185 to RTE.

I look today - acela is down to $109 (low bucket) for the trip I want, and the regionals that afternoon are all $126.

I cancelled and rebooked at the cheaper fare. Yay for me saving money!

But just a reminder to keep checking, because it looks like they are dropping fares closer to the date of travel if too many seats are unsold.

It's winter. Ridership tends to stink in January/February, which means that while revenue management tends to bite us in the summer, it can "pay back" a bit in the winter.

Well, remember that the lowest Acela buckets are below the top 2-3 Regional buckets. Still, it's amusing when it does happen...right up there with Richmond-New York roomettes.

Well, remember that the lowest Acela buckets are below the top 2-3 Regional buckets. Still, it's amusing when it does happen...right up there with Richmond-New York roomettes.
I booked a NYP - ALX trip in a roomette this summer on the star that was cheaper than acela from NYP - WAS. :)

Thanks for the heads-up. I recently booked a trip on the Acela (with a return on a Regional) while I will be in Boston in March. I'll definitely keep an eye on the fares. I just got a $55 refund from Amtrak for the LSL trip to CHI that I booked back in the summer last year. :)

Buckets are weird. I just booked the last bedroom on the Eagle, FTW-OKC at the lowest price I've ever seen-round trip FTW-CHI on las than a week notice, was over $300 less than airfare was. That almost never happens for me, especially in a Bedroom. (Bedroom outbound, roomette return)

I booked a NYP - ALX trip in a roomette this summer on the star that was cheaper than acela from NYP - WAS. :)
Did that on a trip in 2011. I actually booked a NYP-ALX room, even though I was going NYP-BAL... to tour Fort McHenry... visit a friend who lives in BAL... have dinner... and to overnight there at his house, Was easy to do... I just told the attendant and hopped off at BAL. The BEDROOM was actually cheaper than Acela on #91. I'd rather do a bedroom than even FC on Acela.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really hacked that it costs about the same for me to take the train (whether sleeper OR coach!) from Savannah to NYP as it does from MIAMI! It's almost a 50% longer trip PLUS three full meals onboard to add the segment between Miami and Savannah for a difference of a meager $20. (Note: different trains for the sleeper - If comparing Meteor to Meteor, there's about $100 diff. But if you compare the Star from SAV to the Meteor from MIA - $20!)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have even seen cases where a Bedroom was pricing less than a Roomette! I am guessing when this happens Roomettes are in High Bucket and a load of Bedrooms gets released back into Inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back