14/29 Lost Power North of Goleta

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
We lost power around 1300-1320 about five miles north of Goleta. The crew is doing a good job of handling things (distributing ice/water) and we have an amazing view of the Pacific. I've been stuck far worse places.

Ok, they're going to take us back to Goleta. And dear Lord, if you could hear the scanner talk!

"...and nobody will pick up a d*** phone!"

(Let's say there were a few minute of "interesting" chatter)

They've made an executive decision to take us back and are talking to dispatch informing them we're backing up. According to dispatch "...that sounds fun."

Edit: Basically, we hit something and there was a minor explosion/fire in the power unit. They couldn't get support on the phone, so we're backing up to Goleta since they have to go back anyway. UP is dispatching us, but it's a five-mile shove.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since there are 2 engines and the other should be able to turn out HEP it must be a serious problem or perhaps something with the 480 cables.

It sounds like cables might have been damaged based on what you're saying. Usually HEP is run off the trailing unit, so it is possible that engine's cables were damaged making it impossible to run the lead unit through the trailing unit to the train. If that's the case they'd likely try to run the power around a wye so that trailing unit is leading, or if it needs to be dropped all together get some UP power to lead and have the leader drop back to trail. Bad day at the office no matter what. Shoving for five miles is no fun, especially if it's not a normal move.

Cables are damaged on the baggage car requiring it to be switched to the rear

On the subject of a backup move when you hear the Conductor call to the Engineer Clear for XX Cars is he/she using a prescribed formula/rule or simply a judgement call?

The Conductor should call what they're able to see for. If the Engineer does not hear from them again in half that distance then they should stop the move. So in this case the Conductor would probably be giving long counts, so if they say "Clear 50 cars" the Engineer should be shoving, but stopping the move if they don't hear from them in 25 cars.

It was a damaged cable. We're back in Goleta now, power back on; they had to move one unit and the baggage car to the back of the train because of that. So we're...somewhere around five hours down, if I had to guess. So I'm hoping for a nice morning arrival into Sacramento.

(Edit: I'm only back because the power is back on. My battery ran out around 1720 Eastern.)

And they just detailed a complicated railcar ballet they're going to need to do to actually load the engine+bag onto the back. Hoo boy...

Edit: Coaches will be getting a complementary dinner in the diner, per an announcement.

Thanks for the updates. I'm actually aboard San Joaquin 703 from Bakersfield. I was hoping to meet 14 at Sacramento to finish my trip to Chico. I guess I'll have to find some place to cool my heels for a spell (I think I'll head to that place that used to be a Denny's).

My sympathies to everyone aboard the delayed train.

Further update: Coach passengers get beef stew.

RTOlson:
CHamilton and I will be disembarking at SAC. My best guess (we're still on a siding outside Goleta awaiting another move) is that we'll be somewhere over five hours behind.

Edit:
Adding to the comedy, with the entree announcement for dinner:
"The healthy choice lite entree is a delicio...er..." *voice trails off and he restarts a moment later, not bothering to mention how delicious it is*

Edit 2:
I'm in the PPC now, and everyone is very positive...honestly, other than some chatter about being behind, you'd never know we were late.

Thanks for all the info. I'm getting on in Martinez. Guess I will get to see more of the mountains tomorrow morning.

I just was heading up 101 north and saw 763 at Goleta... then an odd looking consist to the North. I thought it might be 777 waiting for 11 but then I saw a PPC... was quite puzzled until I read this now. Passed around 635pm just North of Goleta. Im glad we are driving back up this trip as we normally take the CS. Have work tomorrow back in the Bay Area. Best of luck on your journey and thank you for your updates!

Ok, we've basically been transferred from the Coast Starlight to the Lark. It's 2000 local time and per Charlie we're writing a script. Working title: Escape from Goleta. We'll let you know how it ends when we find out.

On the bright side, I am looking forward to breakfast on my way into Sacramento at this point.

Sounds like a nice morning arrival into SAC for sure. Hopefully you are able to amend your hotel/lodging arrangements and not be hit for a night you could not use!

Maybe we'll be able to meet up later in the week.

Blackwolf, I'd be up for that.

And it's looking like we'll arrive into SAC sometime between 0630 and 0800ish. Honestly, at this point I'd just assume not make up time, have a nice (early) breakfast, and crash for half of the day. I've got a room, so I should be good...it's just not what I was counting on.

We actually toyed with extending to PDX/SEA so we could see northern CA and Mt. Shasta in daylight, but opted to pass.

Blackwolf, I'd be up for that.

And it's looking like we'll arrive into SAC sometime between 0630 and 0800ish. Honestly, at this point I'd just assume not make up time, have a nice (early) breakfast, and crash for half of the day. I've got a room, so I should be good...it's just not what I was counting on.

We actually toyed with extending to PDX/SEA so we could see northern CA and Mt. Shasta in daylight, but opted to pass.
Yeah, you're certainly in an interesting and slightly enviable position! There *is* more train time involved, after all.

I believe Charlie still has my cell number, but either way I'll PM it to both you and him as a back-up. At this point, I'd crack open an Adult Beverage in the PPC, relax a bit, and turn in when the time comes!

I kind of want to ask you to check in with my in-laws, who are traveling from LA to SEA, but I hope they're comfortably asleep by now, and with luck won't be awake in Sacramento when you get off.

It looks like your 8 a.m. estimate was spot on (I was hoping for the 6:30 arrival).

Here's the baggage car at the end of the train. I couldn't see apparent cable damage, although there was duct tape on part of the connection toward the front of the car.

http://t.co/YZzmAEO4KK

I was hoping for 0800. It let me grab breakfast coming out of the Bay Area. Enjoy your trip!

And sorry I couldn't have checked on your in-laws...but I think I may have had breakfast with them (I had breakfast with a couple going from LAX-SEA).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back