#5 (11) Held up by flooding in Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though the information at this point is of course incomplete, there are apparently at least a couple other washouts on the Moffat line, as well, though the one in the photo is the big one. I've seen estimates that the line might be out of service for a month or so, though until the repairs actually get underway it's really anybody's guess.

The next couple of days are really going to be interesting, but I think things will sort themselves out fairly quickly and I don't think the detour route across Wyoming is in any significant danger. I've seen reports of a possible bus bridge between Denver and Grand Junction in the short term, but I don't know that Amtrak would want to continue that for a month. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that within a couple of days Amtrak will start running the CZ as a through train again, via the Wyoming detour route it's used in the past. That will depend, though, on the condition of the track between Denver and the Cheyenne area.

I am wondering if Amtrak will send us from Chicago directly to La. via another route, since that is our distination. Maybe south to NM. then over to La? Guess we will find out when we get to Chicago tomorrow.

So if we go to Wyoming, do we then take a bus to where ever or the train?

If the train isn't running all the way through, what would happen is that you'd ride the train to Denver, board a bus from there to either Cheyenne or Grand Junction, and then reboard an identical train that would take you on to Emeryville. It likely wouldn't result in much of a delay, if any, in your final arrival time in California.

Thank you all for helping me understand what is going on. I guess we all should be thankful and keep those who are

in danger in our prayers.

Thanks Again,

DM

According to post #63 above, #5 is being turned at Denver, #6 being turned at Grand Junction, with a bus bridge between.

I am wondering if Amtrak will send us from Chicago directly to La. via another route, since that is our distination. Maybe south to NM. then over to La? Guess we will find out when we get to Chicago tomorrow.
If I were you, I would call Amtrak and *ask* to be switched onto the Southwest Chief, which runs from Chicago directly to LA (via Albuquerque).

The Southwest Chief is running just fine right now, and it will actually get you into LA quicker. It's also a beautiful route over the Raton Pass (for now) and it's worth seeing. (The SW Chief may not be running on the same route after 2015.)

Though the information at this point is of course incomplete, there are apparently at least a couple other washouts on the Moffat line, as well, though the one in the photo is the big one. I've seen estimates that the line might be out of service for a month or so, though until the repairs actually get underway it's really anybody's guess.
Remember, UP has to repair its route through Greeley as well (which was washed out in at least one place, probably more) -- that's more important for them so they'll probably repair it first. It could be a while before the Moffat line is fixed.

If the train isn't running all the way through, what would happen is that you'd ride the train to Denver, board a bus from there to either Cheyenne or Grand Junction, and then reboard an identical train that would take you on to Emeryville. It likely wouldn't result in much of a delay, if any, in your final arrival time in California.
Agreed. The Overland Route, as I previously mentioned, is significantly faster from Denver to Salt Lake City than the Moffat Tunnel route, even if bussing from Denver to Cheyenne. And if they turn the western segment at Grand Junction instead of Cheyenne, the 'bus bridge' from Denver to Grand Junction is at least two hours faster on I-70 then the train normally is.....this way they would still serve more of the regular route, and not detour.....

Note that I-25 is now open between Denver and Wyoming. That permits the bus bridge.
Was US 85 washed out through Greeley before I-25 reopened?

Edit: Look at this nasty rail damage in Colorado: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=451152&nseq=550, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=451184&nseq=551
Both of those are on the BNSF Line north of Denver.
Here is a pretty complete list of current road closures in and around Denver/Boulder/Loveland/Fort Collins and north east Colorado:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/traffic/traffic-news/road-closures-due-to-flooding-mud-rock-slides-includes-us-36-us-34-co-14-co-72

Amtrak.com shows # 6 departed EMY @ 09:11 this am. Are they during the bus connection in Grand Junction to DEN to #5 ?

The train ride from Denver to Glenwood is scenic so my folks are flying into Denver this week with original plans to ride the train to Glenwood to visit me. Am I right to assume that the bustitution between Denver and Grand Junction would make a stop along the way in Glenwood? It is right off the Interstate. Thanks!

Thanks for all the information, we are in Chiago now and they told us at Denver we will be bussed to Grand Juntion then on to Emeryville!

Thanks Again, what a Great form!

We are leaving Sunday on CZ from Sacramento to Chicago with 2 day stopover in Glenwood Springs. So keeping fingers crossed that they keep doing bus bridge from Grand Junction rather than Cheyenne. Thanks to all posting on this board, it is by far the best source of info I have found.

The train ride from Denver to Glenwood is scenic so my folks are flying into Denver this week with original plans to ride the train to Glenwood to visit me. Am I right to assume that the bustitution between Denver and Grand Junction would make a stop along the way in Glenwood? It is right off the Interstate. Thanks!
I was told by an Amtrak agent Sunday afternoon, that there would be NO stop in Glenwood Springs, where I wanted to go. I would be bused from Denver to Grand Junction, then bused back to Glenwood Springs. Wouldn't it make better sense in this case to stop the bus on I-70 exit in G. S. and let people off RATHER than spend another 2 hours to G. Jctn and another 2 hours back to G. S.????????????????????????????????? I certainly think so. I'd be willing to walk from I-70 to the Amtrak station in G. S. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez, are the inmates running the bus operation?????

Since most of the passengers are not originating or terminating at Glenwood Springs, it probably makes sense to run the Denver originating buses straight to Grand Junction and then do any distribution of local passengers from there. Considering the circumstances people should than their stars that Amtrak has not pulled one of their favorite "Service canceled with no alternatives provided" this time around. I suspect if there were at least a van full of passengers for Glenwood Spring's they'd probably organize a van from Denver, but under these circumstances it is hard to tell what challenges they are facing in the way of availability of transport too. So I would not jump up and call the folks trying to organize alternative transport as "inmates" quite yet.

My suspicion is that they are doing a single round trip Glenwood Springs - Grand Junction - Glenwood Springs, handling passengers for both 5 and 6.

Since most of the passengers are not originating or terminating at Glenwood Springs, it probably makes sense to run the Denver originating buses straight to Grand Junction and then do any distribution of local passengers from there. Considering the circumstances people should than their stars that Amtrak has not pulled one of their favorite "Service canceled with no alternatives provided" this time around. I suspect if there were at least a van full of passengers for Glenwood Spring's they'd probably organize a van from Denver, but under these circumstances it is hard to tell what challenges they are facing in the way of availability of transport too. So I would not jump up and call the folks trying to organize alternative transport as "inmates" quite yet.

My suspicion is that they are doing a single round trip Glenwood Springs - Grand Junction - Glenwood Springs, handling passengers for both 5 and 6.
Except the Denver to Grand Junction buses will drive right through Glenwood Springs on the way. If I were bound for Glenwood Springs, I would not be happy if I rolled right through town, then went 90 miles further only to have head the same 90 miles back.

Yeah, they could stop there unless it cause them to delay the departure of 6. I don;t know enough about the details of the scheduling constraints to have an informed opinion on this one. If it is a minor 15 minute additional it would make sense. OTOH, if it becomes an additional hour then not.

OTOH if someone is willing to be dropped off somewhere near I-70 where it is legal to drop off a pedestrian, that may be considered too with adequate releases I would imagine. :)

There are all kinds of possibilities to consider definitely.

We took CZ out of Chicago last night and it went as far as Denver this morning, where we boarded buses for Grand Junction. There was one bus which made a stop in Glenwood Springs and then continued on to GJ, and two other buses which ran straight from Denver to GJ. The bus ride was 2-1/2 hours shorter than the train would have been.

:hi: Kudoos to Amtrak, sounds like they have their stuff together this time! And hopefully the Rain has ended and the Poor Folks in Northern Colorado can start getting their lives back to normal! ;)

I noticed both 5(16) and 6(16) are on the Status Maps as departed on time and not reported as Service Disruption. Is it possible they anticipate the Moffat Route to be open by Tuesday?

I noticed both 5(16) and 6(16) are on the Status Maps as departed on time and not reported as Service Disruption. Is it possible they anticipate the Moffat Route to be open by Tuesday?
with the pics i saw on train orders of the damage from the tunnel east towards denver i can't imagine that route open for a good while. we shall see

One of the Amtrak employees in Grand Junction told us it will likely be at least two weeks before the CZ service is back to normal. That's certainly not an official Amtrak statement, just the speculation of one employee, so take with a big grain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back