Fall Double Points Promo?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When can we register for double points? Nothing on the website. It's supposed to start Monday,correct?

When can we register for double points? Nothing on the website. It's supposed to start Monday,correct?
I don't think it's actually on the website yet. When it shows up, it will probably be on the home page of https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/

If not, you will be able to get to it by selecting My Account from the top menu. Then click My Promotions from the left menu. That will take you to https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/memberpromotions/index and it should show up there.

The double points promotion has been posted.

REWARDS ON THE DOUBLE
Travel now through October 31, 2013, and earn double points on Amtrak travel. That's twice the point earnings. And that'll make for a pretty nice autumn.
DOUBLE POINTS | AMTRAK TRAVEL | SEPTEMBER 9 – OCTOBER 31
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Earn double points on qualifying Amtrak travel from September 9 12:00:00am CT through October 31, 2013 11:59:59pm CT. Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online at AmtrakGuestRewards.com/DoubleDays to participate. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day. Amtrak Guest Rewards points will not be awarded for cancelled or refunded reservations or tickets. Other terms and conditions apply.

I'm registered. Now I need to go somewhere THIS month...

BTW, in 2009 double points ran Sept. 14 to December 19. Just saying...

Last edited by a moderator:
I never get the emails either, and I've checked my profile a few times just to make sure I signed up for them. I might have to reconfigure my spam settings; I used to get them all the time.

Thanks for the heads-up. :) I have a couple of trips coming up, and I might do some point runs on the weekends.

I registered today (I didnt get the e-mail either but its on the AGR Websirte and under my Promotions also!) so will be Forced to make a few Double Point Runs on the Eagle (so many choices! :giggle: )to Taylor for Bar-B-Q! Also the Gang going to CHI for the Gathering can Harvest some EZ Points with such Trips as CHI-JOL-CHI (on our Agenda) being only $10!!!! :) Those of us that live in the Sticks and where there is only One Train a Day (or even every 3 Days) wont have it as easy as the Corridor Dwellers but it's a trade Off, we Live in Nicer Places! :p

Edit: Update: e-mail from AGR showed up in my Spam Folder! I Notice that it has a Limit of Two Trips per Day just like Last Tear, in the Good Old Days you used to could do Four per Day! :(

And that two trips per day has me confused...They say oneway...If I do a R/T Sav-FAY -SAV which is not a one way, will I not get the points? Should I book it as two separate trips? After all, I do get off and wait in Subway until the southbound Palmetto comes to take me back...CJ

And that two trips per day has me confused...They say oneway...If I do a R/T Sav-FAY -SAV which is not a one way, will I not get the points? Should I book it as two separate trips? After all, I do get off and wait in Subway until the southbound Palmetto comes to take me back...CJ
Carolyn,

One round trip equals two one way trips. So you would get double points for the trip you've mentioned. If you did more than that, then the subsequent trips would only get normal points instead of double points.

The "two one-way trips" is confusing. For me to go from KIN to SPG in one day round trip, I could go KIN-NHV and then NHV-SPG or KIN-BBY/BOS and then BBY/BOS-SPG, then the return I must go SPG-NHV and then NHV-KIN. Does that count as 2 trips or 4 trips because it is 4 trains? :huh:

The "two one-way trips" is confusing. For me to go from KIN to SPG in one day round trip, I could go KIN-NHV and then NHV-SPG or KIN-BBY/BOS and then BBY/BOS-SPG, then the return I must go SPG-NHV and then NHV-KIN. Does that count as 2 trips or 4 trips because it is 4 trains? :huh:
You would have to overnight in SPG Dave if you wanted double points for each leg of that trip. KIN-NHV would be one trip and NHV-SPG would be your second trip. Therefore either you would have to overnight in SPG or collect only regular points for your return.

Technically of course it will come down to which two legs post first, as to which would get double points. For this reason it would not be advisable to me to do the following trip all in one day for example; NYP-BOS in Acela FC; BON-HHL (Haverhill); HHL-BON; BOS-NYP in Acela FC all on the same day. I would have no way of knowing which trips would hit first and could find that the Downeaster trips post first & double, while the huge 750 point trips on Acela post later and don't double. That would be a big ouch! :eek:

So people should be careful!

I know what you're saying Alan, but it doesn't seem right. If you input KIN-HAR, it gives a result of KIN-NYP/PHL and NYP/PHL-HAR, but it still is one way. In years past, it said "2 round trips OR 4 one way trips". Thus, since you asked for a one way trip from KIN to HAR, it should not count the same as a round trip!

I know what you're saying Alan, but it doesn't seem right. If you input KIN-HAR, it gives a result of KIN-NYP/PHL and NYP/PHL-HAR, but it still is one way. In years past, it said "2 round trips OR 4 one way trips". Thus, since you asked for a one way trip from KIN to HAR, it should not count the same as a round trip!
But then again without this double point being in place you'd collect 400+ points for that round trip, i.e. 4 segments at least 100 points per segment. So why should the segment rules suddenly change when double points are stated to be available on only two segments per day?

Isn't this the way the promotion was run last year as well? Only two segments per day eligible for double points? What's the change?

I can't really blame Amtrak for shortening the promotion, given its relatively good passenger numbers. Why reward travel people will do anyway?

You just said it. Last year it was 2 segments. This year it's specified as 2 one ways. So is a one way trip from KIN-HAR "1 one way trip" or is it your 2 segment limit? :huh: You only booked a one way trip, not 2 separate reservations!

Amtrak also has a deal with Enterprise Rental Car that runs into March 2014 providing triple AGR points for renting your car from Enterprise.

Yup, and Hertz has quadruple points until Dec 31. :)

I get 6 points per dollar from my favorite clothing store, as well, so really, I can't complain about all of the promotions they run. Double points are awesome no matter how long they go.

As for the two one-way trips, you can't blame them for putting the hammer down on tons and tons of points runs. How many times have we talked about Amtrak increasing their revenue? Yeah, they're getting a whopping $8 from me for every trip to BC (20 minutes away), but then I turn around and use all those points to save $800 on our trip to ABQ. You have to draw the line somewhere. Promotions are only good if you don't lose revenue (or break even) in the process. The idea is to drum up more business and more income.

Back