AutoTrain - who pays when car has dents/scratches?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CarlaSF

I am planning a trip on Amtrak's AutoTrain to Sanford.

If my car has any dents/scratches after it arrives, who pays for the damages?

Amtrak or my insurance company?

My 14-year-old car has only 2582 miles and is pristine with zero scratches.

(none that even a car appraiser could find recently)

Just wondering....

your car will be photographed prior to its being loaded onto the car carrier.

I am planning a trip on Amtrak's AutoTrain to Sanford.
If my car has any dents/scratches after it arrives, who pays for the damages?

Amtrak or my insurance company?

(none that even a car appraiser could find recently)

Just wondering....
If your car is off-loaded and has damage that was not there when you turned it over to Amtrak (as proven by the photos), then Amtrak will pay for the damage.

On our several trips on the Autotrain, an employee was doing a video on each and every car presented for loading. This way fraudulent claims can be avoided and the dishonest people put in their place. I am happy that Amtrak does it this way as the video protects Amtrak from false claims and allows the passenger to claim verifiable damage. Just for reference the drivers that load the cars on the auto carriers are expert at what they do. It is rare that any damage is caused by them.

It sounds like you have quite a car and as added insurance I would take a series of photographs myself when you arrive the station with a noticeable landmark in the picture. As said these guys are good at what they do and judged by how many folks ride Auto Train each day very few if any vehicles get damaged.

If your car does get scratched and Amtrak denies your claim, file a claim with your insurance company. If you have comprehensive/collision coverage, they'll cover the damage under one or the other (depending on the type of damage) and then pursue Amtrak on their own through subrogation. Sometimes, it's easier to let the insurance company fight it if you aren't successful yourself.

Bottom line: the damage will get covered (providing you have comp/coll on your policy).

IIRC any claim on damage must be made before you depart the station. I would do a thorough walk through of your vehicle (outside and inside) before you drive out of the station, because as soon as you leave your claim with Amtrak would become void.

I intend to take my own detailed photos and videos prior to turning over the car to Amtrak. Is this allowed? Or will they only let their own employees take the photos/videos?

My plan is to hire an enclosed car carrier truck and deliver the car to the Amtrak AutoTrain station in Lorton. The company that I've used to carry the car to car shows told me it would be only about $127 from my home garage to the Lorton location.(less than 17 miles away)

My $0.02 (if it's even worth that) - I have had zero experience with the Auto Train, but a little with using an enclosed car carrier truck service.

Since it sounds like you have a special car, my thought is to use an enclosed car carrier truck to ship your car to its destination as they (most) specialize in transporting show cars / garage queens / exotics and are knowledgeable & equipped to handle such cars. While I would think Amtrak is very kind to cars, I suspect they consider the cars they handle as daily drivers. In other words, your car is not nearly as special to Amtrak as it is to you.

Like I said, I have no experience with the Auto Train, so I could be way off base with my thoughts.

UR

Nah, you'll be fine taking your car with you to / from FL on the AT. Surprisingly, a fair number of "car enthusiast" use this service, at least based on the trips I've taken on the AT over the last dozen years or do.

I get concerned with this statement the OP made "

(none that even a car appraiser could find recently)"

It sounds like the OP knows every inch of this car and it is their baby. While I am sure Amtrak takes care of the cars, will Amtrak take care of it to your standards? Are you OK they load of unload in inclement weather? Are you going to be OK if a spec of dirt gets on the outside or if Amtrak tracks it inside when they load/unload? Do you personally hold a higher value to the car then what it is actually worth?

I don't think autotrain is a method to move a collector mint car. I would hire a service that specializes in this.

Yes the cars are strap down by the tires.

To the OP no you should not be use Amtrak to haul your baby. Please use a trucking company that hauls high end cars. Amtrak's auto train is for regular cars and vans, you will never like the service your going to get. If your not willing to drive it to the station, then your going to have a cow when your baby is driven into the train, and parked between two rust buckets.

A company such as

www.horselesscarriage.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes the cars are strap down by the tires.
To the OP no you should not be use Amtrak to haul your baby. Please use a trucking company that hauls high end cars. Amtrak's auto train is for regular cars and vans, you will never like the service your going to get. If your not willing to drive it to the station, then your going to have a cow when your baby is driven into the train, and parked between two rust buckets.

A company such as

www.horselesscarriage.com
Agree!!

It the reverse for me: the Amtrak train and stations is my baby, and no car better scratch up my railcars, ramps, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back