The Economist explains: Why don't Americans ride trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, there's been advertising here in OKC, for our little Heartland Flyer, billboards pop up around the city from time to time, and I just heard a radio ad yesterday, for the "Big Game Train" for the OU TX game. Trying to justify a trip leaving the day after, it's nice to have a SSL on the Flyer!

I agree with you Swadian. for some of us its not a big deal. But to a lot of people in our world today. its a huge imaginary deal. my niece for example lives on her I phone. And if there is the threat of her losing her phone for any reason. oh god you might as well be sending her off to some deserted Island. and even my ex gf was always checking email. twitter, facebook, you name it. I for one can live with out today's technology. Most people in the USA can not imagine a world with out having some gadget in there hand to keep connected. They can not just sit back relax and look out the window, as i do when i am on the train.
Maybe a sad statement about how lonely their lives really are?? ... personally I'm with you - enjoy being on the train, with cell phone powered down and packed away.
If members on this forum can stop judging other people's lives just because it happens to be different from their own, that would be great.

I am one of those people that you refer to as having "gadgets always on". Does that mean I have a lonely sad life? Ha, in fact its quite the opposite. I live in city A, my girlfriend lives in city B, my parents live in city C, my job gives me more paid vacation than most of America can dream of, with a caveat that I be available by cell phone if required, and I am perfectly fine with this situation because I have my cell phone and laptop with me, which means when I am on a long train ride, I can spend time chatting with my girlfriend, talk to my parents, read a book, check out news or sports scores and a gazillion other things. Do the "purists" here disapprove these things too? When you supposedly non-lonely-lives people travel by train, do you only and only look out the window from start to end? If that is the case, it is you who has a sad lonely life, not me.. but don't worry I won't judge you.
Sorry, but obviously a reading comprehension problem here: sad never came into my assessment; and no, I don't stare out the windows - though I do enjoy the views: they are one reason I fly Amtrak vs one of the flying cattlecar services - but I do interact (face-to-face) with the people around me (generally on trains referred to as friends that one hasn't met yet) vs living in an insular world unaware of the world immediately around oneself. My sympathies go out to you. And yes, texting or talking is better than no contact, but is miles short of real human interactions and real human contact... that must be a deep and profound relationship you must have with your "girlfriend." Sad. And no, I won't judge you, but will feel sorry for you - how about turning of the box and try some real interactions with real people... think about it - in the meantime I'm off to a Saturday morning breakfast with friends [just think about it: a group of eight or nine real human beings, sitting around a table, sharing each other's company, interacting with each other, while sharing a protracted breakfast and mutual interests in history, gardening, classical music (the oboe is my nemesis) and the outdoors].

I agree with you Swadian. for some of us its not a big deal. But to a lot of people in our world today. its a huge imaginary deal. my niece for example lives on her I phone. And if there is the threat of her losing her phone for any reason. oh god you might as well be sending her off to some deserted Island. and even my ex gf was always checking email. twitter, facebook, you name it. I for one can live with out today's technology. Most people in the USA can not imagine a world with out having some gadget in there hand to keep connected. They can not just sit back relax and look out the window, as i do when i am on the train.
Maybe a sad statement about how lonely their lives really are?? ... personally I'm with you - enjoy being on the train, with cell phone powered down and packed away.
I wouldn't refer to talking to and checking on friends as "lonely". Some people like to be an active part of their family's and friends' lives.

Andplusalso, I read books on my phone, so while some of you think I'm glued to Facebook, I'm actually brain-deep in a crime novel because I've seen the corn fields in Illinois 93 billion times.

I am getting really, really sick and tired of being judged because I own things that plug into an outlet and actually deign to use them in the seat/room I paid hard-earned money for. It's my vacation. I'll do what I want.
Sarah - my hat's off to you, and yes I find others with their Kindles - I'm always happy to see people stretching their brains [and from your previous posts I would expect nothing less from you]... who I feel sorry for are those that for most of the daylight hours are building up their thumb muscles to and beyond Olympic levels, never venturing out of their shells to at minimum observe that there are real human beings around them, and just maybe interacting with them - even if at a trivial level of saying good morning. ... the talking group around where I was sitting on the CZ last week were amazed at the one "gent" that day or night was either killing them angry birds, hunting the wumpus, or occasionally texting - would take a quick glance out the window once an hour (presume to see if he was still on planet earth), but otherwise face glued to the screen, thumbs in overdrive.

[and yes, I do understand that there are those that wish to be left alone, that was their intent upon boarding the train, and such should be very much respected.]

The usage of lonely I make use of is not that of being physically alone, but of being without human contact or interaction or shared experience - that which makes living in a society so much richer than living a la hermit in a cabin deep in the woods by one's self. ... I would note that there were hugs around as the people of this spontaneous group left the train; and since getting off, two of them I've since been in contact with - as the expression goes: they were merely friends that I simply hadn't met yet, and will make every effort to see them again, even if it involves six hour drives to do such... people are special, interactions with people even more special.

Bottom line: I don't think anyone is judging YOU harshly - the world isn't black or white, and yes such devices are useful and do have a place... and as they say in the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) community: HYOH (hike your own hike).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reasonably sure my home town in western PA lost passenger service on all three railroads before WWII.
As you found out, it was actually the 1950s where the last service disappeared. Same is true in most of upstate NY -- there was a comprehensive passenger rail network still going until the mid-50s, although it was being run with more and more dilapidated equipment.

What happened in the 50s which killed the passenger rail system? Probably the Interstate Highways.

Anderson is correct on why most Americans don't ride trains, but he did leave out reason #1:

- Existence. If the train doesn't go that way, you can't ride it. For instance, just try to get to Detroit from the east.

I believe the second-most-important reason, #2, is:

- Reliability: people will tolerate a lot if the train operates exactly to schedule. If a route which had poor schedule adherence achieves goods schedule adherence for a year or so, this is documented to raise ridership by a lot -- and vice versa if schedule adherence drops.

Reasons #3 and #4 are speed and frequency, and I'd put them at comparable importance: you need some of each.

If members on this forum can stop judging other people's lives just because it happens to be different from their own, that would be great.

I am one of those people that you refer to as having "gadgets always on". Does that mean I have a lonely sad life? Ha, in fact its quite the opposite. I live in city A, my girlfriend lives in city B, my parents live in city C, my job gives me more paid vacation than most of America can dream of, with a caveat that I be available by cell phone if required, and I am perfectly fine with this situation because I have my cell phone and laptop with me, which means when I am on a long train ride, I can spend time chatting with my girlfriend, talk to my parents, read a book, check out news or sports scores and a gazillion other things. Do the "purists" here disapprove these things too? When you supposedly non-lonely-lives people travel by train, do you only and only look out the window from start to end? If that is the case, it is you who has a sad lonely life, not me.. but don't worry I won't judge you.
Sorry, but obviously a reading comprehension problem here: sad never came into my assessment; and no, I don't stare out the windows - though I do enjoy the views: they are one reason I fly Amtrak vs one of the flying cattlecar services - but I do interact (face-to-face) with the people around me (generally on trains referred to as friends that one hasn't met yet) vs living in an insular world unaware of the world immediately around oneself. My sympathies go out to you. And yes, texting or talking is better than no contact, but is miles short of real human interactions and real human contact... that must be a deep and profound relationship you must have with your "girlfriend." Sad. And no, I won't judge you, but will feel sorry for you - how about turning of the box and try some real interactions with real people... think about it - in the meantime I'm off to a Saturday morning breakfast with friends [just think about it: a group of eight or nine real human beings, sitting around a table, sharing each other's company, interacting with each other, while sharing a protracted breakfast and mutual interests in history, gardening, classical music (the oboe is my nemesis) and the outdoors].
Wow, just wow. If moderators would allow it I would just reply to this with a four letter word starting with F.

Who the heck do you think you are to make a judgement about what kind of relationship I share with my girlfriend and what does that even remotely have to do with discussions on this forum?

Also what makes you think just because I have an electronic device, I do not interact with "real" people? I have done enough and more journeys where I have spent good time with folks in the Dining Car at all meals and in SSL, having an electronic device with me does not take away any of that. Seriously, keep your **** opinions to yourself.

Wow, just wow. If moderators would allow it I would just reply to this with a four letter word starting with F.

Who the heck do you think you are to make a judgement about what kind of relationship I share with my girlfriend and what does that even remotely have to do with discussions on this forum?

Also what makes you think just because I have an electronic device, I do not interact with "real" people? I have done enough and more journeys where I have spent good time with folks in the Dining Car at all meals and in SSL, having an electronic device with me does not take away any of that. Seriously, keep your **** opinions to yourself.
OK - both of you - lets calm down. Please - back to the topic at hand.

Thanks!!

I don't know what the Economist has been smoking, but Amtrak just reported it's highest monthly ridership ever! True, that number would be even higher if the capacity was there.

But the political class refuses to recognize the new popularity of rail travel and won't provide the needed infrastructure to expand. It's no accident that the folks who have to make that decision almost always drive or fly (often first class with "express" check-in). They have no real-world awareness of the bursting at the seams public transportation issues.

What did i start?

It was not my intention to cast judgement on peoples lives. I was simply attempting to make an observation as to some of the reasons people don't embrace train travel. from being in too much of a hurry and not wanting to take the time. from not wanting to be out of "contact" with world. using the very excuses I have been told as to why the people in my life. don't take the train

Keep in mind that some people simply can't afford to 'waste' the time on the train vs flying. 6 hour flight to California vs 80 hour train ride (if on time) from Philadelphia to California? If you have the time and a job that allows that, great. But some can't do it - that's over 3 days one way. You can fly there for 3 days and come back, and if that's all you can do because you have to be back at work, it's a no brainer to fly, unfortunately.

I wish our world wasn't as fast paced as it is, so that everyone could simply get on the train and enjoy a 3 day ride without worrying about wasting precious vacation days etc. But that's not the way it is any more, sadly.

If there was a train through Alaska and the Beiring Strait and through all of Russia to Western Europe, I'd take that over flying. Probably only one way, though, but would still want to do that. ;) But that's me!

I'm reasonably sure my home town in western PA lost passenger service on all three railroads before WWII.
As you found out, it was actually the 1950s where the last service disappeared. Same is true in most of upstate NY -- there was a comprehensive passenger rail network still going until the mid-50s, although it was being run with more and more dilapidated equipment.

What happened in the 50s which killed the passenger rail system? Probably the Interstate Highways.

Anderson is correct on why most Americans don't ride trains, but he did leave out reason #1:

- Existence. If the train doesn't go that way, you can't ride it. For instance, just try to get to Detroit from the east.

I believe the second-most-important reason, #2, is:

- Reliability: people will tolerate a lot if the train operates exactly to schedule. If a route which had poor schedule adherence achieves goods schedule adherence for a year or so, this is documented to raise ridership by a lot -- and vice versa if schedule adherence drops.

Reasons #3 and #4 are speed and frequency, and I'd put them at comparable importance: you need some of each.
Have to agree that the interstate highway system did throw a monkey wrench into the works - where the operative change was: with a car and good roads, one could set their own schedule and route - hard for a train, bus or even airline to do that. Additionally the car added a change to the transportation model, ie, with a train, the train ride was part of the vacation; whereas with the car, it was a means to get to the vacation. So... two competing models, two different models.

But if one accepts the two models, and assuming that people aren't trying to make the train somehow emulate the car model, one has to wonder if point one is a show-stopper, ie, not enough trains going from A to B - maybe one takes a train close to B, enjoys the experience of that leg of the vacation, and then rents a car to finally get to B. For me to get to the CZ is a almost three hour drive, but that really doesn't lessen the pleasure of the experience.

Again, if one accepts the train ride is part of the vacation, does it matter that much if the train is two hours late? If this is a commuter train, clearly then that's important. But if one assumes that those that need to be somewhere at time x, they're probably going to take a flying cattlecar or a car; leaving those that might be less sensitive (one would think).

It seems that pts three and four are akin to point one: if one doesn't need to be somewhere by x, then one can be flexible to an extent and not have such detract.

For me, I'm wondering if a point five isn't most important, ie, the quality of the experience. If it's armpit-to-armpit, then that's potentially off-putting. If it was Amtrak of the 80's... it took me three decades to trying Amtrak again - Amtrak of the 80's was quite off-putting. Though this might be where cost-benefit comes into play, ie, the perceived value of a ride, must exceed the cost of the experience - the Amtrak experience of the 80's would have required a less than one-dollar price to make it worthwhile... with today's pricing, my impression is that the perceived value is most of the time greater than what one is charged.

I don't blame Texas for talking to his girlfriend over text and phone calls. They live in different cities. My boyfriend used to live in ABQ, and we couldn't afford to see each other more often than once every 3-4 months. We talked online, on the phone, and through texts all the time. It didn't mean our relationship sucked. It didn't mean we were lacking personality. It meant we were 1400 miles away from each other and doing our best to make our relationship work. It's painful to be that far away from someone, so of course you want to talk to them as often as possible through whichever means are available.

As for people getting the "thumb workout", some people are introverts and prefer to talk through text or typing. I suck at small talk. I hate sitting in the diner. I don't like hanging out with people at parties because I feel awkward, and that makes me panicky and stressed out. I feel insane amounts of relief when I get to go home and recharge. However, I can talk for HOURS online because I can think about what to say, construct my sentence, edit as necessary, and I don't have to feel the pressure of them looking at me. My boyfriend is the same way. He barely opens his mouth in person, but he emails me all day at work and sends me online messages when we're in our separate offices at home. It's just the way he is, and rather than judge him for it or say he's weird because he doesn't want face-to-face interaction, I accept the way he is and try to understand how to make him more comfortable.

New technology means new ways of communicating, and it is AMAZING to me. I get a little teary-eyed at the iPhone commercial that shows everyone using FaceTime to talk to their friends and loved ones. When I was young, I thought video phones would be the coolest future invention ever, and it's kind of bizarre (and awesome) to realize we have that technology now. I embrace it. Sure, it's a gadget, but if having that gadget means I get to talk to my four-year old niece after her first ballet recital and see her giggling and smiling, then YAY GADGETS.

And gadgets are great for the deaf & hard of hearing.

As in most things, generalizations are unacceptable ways to judge & talk about people.

I really don't blame people for wanting to take the train so they can sit back, work on their [insert device here], and not have to worry about keeping their eyes on the road. Honestly, it's one of the greatest advantages the train has: It's a very comfortable way to do that.

The real bodyblow was the US routes becoming viable interstate routes. Its not like they built the interstates then waited for everyone to get cars. They already had the cars. I mean, the PA Turnpike went live in 1940. The demand for a limited access highspeed road was already there by the mid 30s.

Improved short haul roads with primitive buses hammered things pretty hard and that was in the 30s too.

Hit submit before I wanted to: yeah, Amtrak is...just terrible at advertising. People back home are always stunned when I tell them I took the train back to Pittsburgh. They don't even know its a thing that exists.

I really don't blame people for wanting to take the train so they can sit back, work on their [insert device here], and not have to worry about keeping their eyes on the road. Honestly, it's one of the greatest advantages the train has: It's a very comfortable way to do that.
Ditto. I wish there were a train to my parents' town, even if it took a bit longer than driving. I much prefer to let Amtrak "drive". I'd probably visit more often if I could take the train, especially in the winter. I hate being stuck in the car for longer than an hour.

I don't blame Texas for talking to his girlfriend over text and phone calls. They live in different cities. My boyfriend used to live in ABQ, and we couldn't afford to see each other more often than once every 3-4 months. We talked online, on the phone, and through texts all the time. It didn't mean our relationship sucked. It didn't mean we were lacking personality. It meant we were 1400 miles away from each other and doing our best to make our relationship work. It's painful to be that far away from someone, so of course you want to talk to them as often as possible through whichever means are available.
As for people getting the "thumb workout", some people are introverts and prefer to talk through text or typing. I suck at small talk. I hate sitting in the diner. I don't like hanging out with people at parties because I feel awkward, and that makes me panicky and stressed out. I feel insane amounts of relief when I get to go home and recharge. However, I can talk for HOURS online because I can think about what to say, construct my sentence, edit as necessary, and I don't have to feel the pressure of them looking at me. My boyfriend is the same way. He barely opens his mouth in person, but he emails me all day at work and sends me online messages when we're in our separate offices at home. It's just the way he is, and rather than judge him for it or say he's weird because he doesn't want face-to-face interaction, I accept the way he is and try to understand how to make him more comfortable.

New technology means new ways of communicating, and it is AMAZING to me. I get a little teary-eyed at the iPhone commercial that shows everyone using FaceTime to talk to their friends and loved ones. When I was young, I thought video phones would be the coolest future invention ever, and it's kind of bizarre (and awesome) to realize we have that technology now. I embrace it. Sure, it's a gadget, but if having that gadget means I get to talk to my four-year old niece after her first ballet recital and see her giggling and smiling, then YAY GADGETS.
An erudite response, as always. ... as someone that lives in the technology world: when technology improves lives "YAY GADGETS," but when it interferes, then at least myself, I find the need to question the appropriateness/usage. Though I do worry about a world where a seemingly large percentage of the population has lost or never developed the ability to interact directly with other members of the society - or at least I worry about where such a society is heading (and how easy such a society might be manipulatable/mislead)... but that's a different topic.

Some of those people may be introverts, though. It's hard to generalize. On the train, I sometimes see a lot of people keeping to themselves, but when we go to Chicago and such, there are people laughing and talking and hugging everywhere we go, so it could just be the train environment itself, not that those people are locked into Cyberworld.

Lots of people ride the train to relax. There are people who like to meet others on the train and ride it for that reason (and I'm sure you see a lot more of that on this forum since we all love trains), but out in the big world where alllllllll the people are, I'm sure more people see it as just another method of transportation, like flying or driving. So it might seem weird to US that some people aren't actively social on the train, but if you think about it from a non-foamer standpoint, it's really not that weird. I keep to myself on the train and keep my voice to "library level" when talking to B, but when B and I are out and doing things, I'm much more talkative and gregarious and hyper.

Basically, I don't care how other people act or what gadgets they play with as long as they are courteous about it (i.e. using headphones, ending a call before talking to the person at the counter, not texting during Thanksgiving dinner, etc). But that all goes with common courtesy, not so much the gadgets themselves. :)

The real bodyblow was the US routes becoming viable interstate routes. Its not like they built the interstates then waited for everyone to get cars. They already had the cars. I mean, the PA Turnpike went live in 1940. The demand for a limited access highspeed road was already there by the mid 30s.

Improved short haul roads with primitive buses hammered things pretty hard and that was in the 30s too.

Hit submit before I wanted to: yeah, Amtrak is...just terrible at advertising. People back home are always stunned when I tell them I took the train back to Pittsburgh. They don't even know its a thing that exists.
Yeah, I'm annoyed at all this lack of advertising. Maybe Amtrak thinks that demand is already too high for capacity to cope with, so they won't advertise until they get more cars, but they should still give it a try. I'm sick and tired of Greyhound's lack of advertising, Southwest and Megabus are always advertising to scream for passengers and we don't do respond with anything about it.

1) Not enough routes2) Not fast enough

3) I have never, ever seen an advertising campaign on TV or the internet (actual ads, not their Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram stuff)

4) See #1 and #2. Repeatedly.
I disgree with #2. Speed is not really a massive problem with Amtrak, since the slowest Amtrak trains still get filled up. Russian trains are really slow too, but they are still popular. Indian trains aren't much faster. The difference their trains have is that it's cheaper, goes to more places, and runs more frequently. So I think you should add high prices and take out the speed problem.
I'm talking about the average Joe. 26 hours from Chicago to ABQ is slooooow. We could drive there faster if we switched off.

Some routes aren't quite so bad. It takes us two hours to drive to Chicago if traffic behaves. The train takes around 2.5.
Why's it so slow? You would have to drive on US Highways to get to ABQ and you can't drive very fast on those. Unless you're talking about the detour route through St. Louis and Oklahoma City.

Here in Vermont, I sometimes see ads for the Ethan Allen and Vermonter on buses and in newspapers. (And, interestingly, at the airport.) I guess the state wants people riding.

However, if I want to go anywhere that the train goes, the train is always the least convenient option. With new-ish Megabus service to New York, and with travel times—particularly on the Vermonter—that simply are not competitive with driving, I honestly doubt I will ever take a train in Vermont again. The train station here is not actually in the "city" and does not yet have daily bus service. The train serves ESX at inconvenient times, and is additionally not timed to accommodate long-distance travel and connections. Add to that the lack of checked baggage, and you've sold me on almost any other form of transportation.

I love trains. I will frequently plan trips around rail travel segments. It takes a lot to get me to stop riding. But the Vermonter simply isn't practical.

Here in Vermont, I sometimes see ads for the Ethan Allen and Vermonter on buses and in newspapers. (And, interestingly, at the airport.) I guess the state wants people riding.
However, if I want to go anywhere that the train goes, the train is always the least convenient option. With new-ish Megabus service to New York, and with travel times—particularly on the Vermonter—that simply are not competitive with driving, I honestly doubt I will ever take a train in Vermont again. The train station here is not actually in the "city" and does not yet have daily bus service. The train serves ESX at inconvenient times, and is additionally not timed to accommodate long-distance travel and connections. Add to that the lack of checked baggage, and you've sold me on almost any other form of transportation.

I love trains. I will frequently plan trips around rail travel segments. It takes a lot to get me to stop riding. But the Vermonter simply isn't practical.
Well if you're not ganna take a train, at least don't ride Megabus. Take Greyhound, drive a car, fly in a plane, just don't take Megabus!

With the skeletal network of Amtrak, you just cannot go many places, except for the NEC, upper Midwest, and California.
But when you really look at it, Amtrak wasn't even a glimmer in anyone's eye and people weren't sure what to make of that Hitler guy (hint: he turns out to be a bad egg) when a lot of passenger service was already getting cut.

Which home town? Does this include interurban service, since many interurbans ran in Western Pennsylvania?
Butler.

B&LE, B&O, and PRR all had passenger service at one point and there were two interurbans.

PRR ended service in 1938.

Turns out B&O straggled on until 1955 with a single train.

B&LE also made it to 1955, but they were never really a passenger line in the first place.

The interurban lines, which merged at some point, went out in 1931.
I grew up in butler and my memory is somewhat foggy after so many years. But though my Dad usually drove us to Pittsburgh, I remember at least one time taking the train from Butler to Pittsburgh and then on to Cincinnati to catch either the Ponce De Leon or the Royal Palm to head to Ga.. We lived on the South Side and could easily walk to the station which was on Center Ave, below the viaduct. Very, very few passenger trains came through that station even in the early 50's.

Nick, on the money...just imagine how much better on time performance, and routes, there would be if we double tracked important rail routes like we did major highways?

Yeah, I'm annoyed at all this lack of advertising. Maybe Amtrak thinks that demand is already too high for capacity to cope with, so they won't advertise until they get more cars, but they should still give it a try. I'm sick and tired of Greyhound's lack of advertising, Southwest and Megabus are always advertising to scream for passengers and we don't do respond with anything about it.

1) Not enough routes2) Not fast enough

3) I have never, ever seen an advertising campaign on TV or the internet (actual ads, not their Facebook/Pinterest/Instagram stuff)

4) See #1 and #2. Repeatedly.
I disgree with #2. Speed is not really a massive problem with Amtrak, since the slowest Amtrak trains still get filled up. Russian trains are really slow too, but they are still popular. Indian trains aren't much faster. The difference their trains have is that it's cheaper, goes to more places, and runs more frequently. So I think you should add high prices and take out the speed problem.
I'm talking about the average Joe. 26 hours from Chicago to ABQ is slooooow. We could drive there faster if we switched off.

Some routes aren't quite so bad. It takes us two hours to drive to Chicago if traffic behaves. The train takes around 2.5.
Why's it so slow? You would have to drive on US Highways to get to ABQ and you can't drive very fast on those. Unless you're talking about the detour route through St. Louis and Oklahoma City.
St. Louis - OKC is the main route for driving, not a detour route. It takes 17.5 hours at an average speed of 75 mph. Compared to 17.5 hours, 26 hours is long, especially when you're snaking through the Raton Pass at 20 mph.

If HSR were possible, the train could get from Chicago to ABQ in just over 12 hours at an average speed of 110 mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back