Capital Limited to Pennsylvanian East - Breakfast??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
So when taking the east bound Cap to the Penn you have a layover from 4:35 to 7:30, almost 3 hours. I see that they open at 6:30 which I don't think gives me enough time. I was looking at Primanti Bros that opens 24 hours but it doesn't look that good and I am not sure that is what I want.

Is there any other options that I can use. Probably needs to be open by 5 or 5:30 to give me enought time.

You're right that the CL Diner doesn't open till 6:30, but it will be a long way south of PGH at that time. (I think it departs about 5 or so.) If you're in a sleeper, you may want to ask your SCA THE NIGHT BEFORE. (S)he may get something for you "to go"! It's not guaranteed, but I have seen some who will do this.

On weekdays, the Starbucks in the US Steel Building opens at 5:30AM (it's closed on weekends), and it's only a short walk from the Pittsburgh station. This is where I ate breakfast when I did the Capitol Limited to Pennsylvanian eastbound transfer, and it also gives a nice view of downtown Pittsburgh as the sun is rising. There's also a Starbucks at something called "Omni William Penn" a bit further up the road that opens at 6 on weekends (and also at 5:30 on weekdays).

Here is are a couple of other options that I found:

Kelly O's in the strip located about a mile away, 20 minute walk opens at 5 AM for breakfast.

There is also a McDonald's located about a half a mile, 11 minutes from the station.

I looked at the doubletree as well, but that looks pricy.

The train pulled into Pittsburgh and it was raining so I decided to stay put. Also, the station didn't seam to be as willing to hold bags in the morning like they did at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back