protocol for cutting through dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm DePlume

Is there a protocol for passing through the dining car on the way to the sightseer lounge or snack bar? Does one just say excuse me and go, or does one wait for permission? Is there a lot of traffic? Do waiters have right of way? Can I grab some food from any table that has been vacated but hasn't been cleared yet? OK, that last one was a joke.

I'd just go for it - it someone asks, say "just passing through".

I would definitely try to stay out of the way as you pass through.

Snagging food is OK, so long as you leave a tip. :)

I try not to go thru the Dining Car at meal times unless it is absolutely necessary. When I do, I give the servers the right of way. After all, they're carrying trays of hot food and things like coffee and tea. They will make room for you, but like I said I give them the right of way.

As a courtesy, like if they're at the middle serving area, a saying like "behind you" or "thank you" goes a long way!

It's like any crowded restaurant. Give the servers the right of way, and if you come up behind one at a table or while walking, say, "Behind you."

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Just bull your way though the dining car. If a waiter gets in your way, knock them down and keep moving - fast!!

Is there a protocol for passing through the dining car on the way to the sightseer lounge or snack bar? Does one just say excuse me and go, or does one wait for permission? Is there a lot of traffic? Do waiters have right of way? Can I grab some food from any table that has been vacated but hasn't been cleared yet? OK, that last one was a joke.
This topic has come up in the past before and coming from someone who majored in hotel and restaurants here is my comment:

Try not to pass through during peak serving times. Glance through the glass and if it looks busy, wait.

Remember you do have to pass through the servers galley in the center of the car. A polite "excuse me" or "behind you" is appreciated. I often stand at the edge of the galley to survey when is a good time to pass through.

Do remember as in all cars to hang on when going through the car if it is in motion to the seat backs, not the tables, especially if occupied.

Actually that last sentence reminds me of an experience I had several years ago. When I worked out of Wash.DC I had 3 days off between trips, so I often would pick up an extra LSA Diner or Lounge job on the CL on my layover days. I made a trip in the diner and during the hectic breakfast rush I saw a woman just sneak in and plop down at a recently vacated table and start scarfing down whatever folks hadn't eaten. I approached her and she scurried out of the diner. About a year or so later I'm working in the lounge on the CL and here comes the dining car LSA following a woman and gets into a discussion with her (breakfast time) about what she thought she was doing sitting down at a dirty table and eating leftovers...Sure enough, same woman!

I feel sorry for people like that. :( Maybe she didn't have enough money for food, and the leftovers are just going to get thrown away anyway. I understand it's not allowed, for various healthy/safety regulation reasons, but that makes me feel even worse. I hate seeing food wasted when so many people would be grateful to have it.

It's like any crowded restaurant. Give the servers the right of way, and if you come up behind one at a table or while walking, say, "Behind you."
Agreed. I never really thought about passing protocol before this thread. In all my trips it's never really been an issue. Just hold back a few moments and/or announce your presence and always keep a watchful eye on those around you.

Just bull your way though the dining car. If a waiter gets in your way, knock them down and keep moving - fast!!
I find myself agreeing with this answer as well. :lol:

I feel sorry for people like that. Maybe she didn't have enough money for food, and the leftovers are just going to get thrown away anyway. I understand it's not allowed, for various healthy/safety regulation reasons, but that makes me feel even worse. I hate seeing food wasted when so many people would be grateful to have it.
Agreed 100%. I find it very hard to fault someone for voluntarily eating leftovers. Sometimes I think we worry too much about keeping up appearances and don't worry enough about the lives of others. If I knew someone was in that position I would happily give them my meal. Just so long as it's not breakfast. ^_^

While my heart goes out to people like this woman, life experience has taught me that sometimes the person has the money, but is too cheap to spend it.
Aren't we talking about a train here that you have to purchase a ticket to get on in the first place? This isn't a homeless bag lady. And she had the money to buy a ticket. They should kick her off the train for doing that stuff.

While my heart goes out to people like this woman, life experience has taught me that sometimes the person has the money, but is too cheap to spend it.
Aren't we talking about a train here that you have to purchase a ticket to get on in the first place? This isn't a homeless bag lady. And she had the money to buy a ticket. They should kick her off the train for doing that stuff.
Having the money for a ticket doesn't always mean having money for food. I rode in Coach with a couple who'd spent their last bit of cash, except for maybe $10, because they were moving from IL to AZ to live with her mother. They'd lost their jobs and home and had nowhere to go. Coach on Amtrak was the cheapest option (they didn't have a car). The lady was pregnant, and they were wearing holey sweats. They had one backpack with one change of clothes and their toothbrushes. We spent a lot of time in the SSL together; they were very nice.

If I hadn't just spent all but $30 on a train ticket myself, I would have given them some money for food. I felt really bad that I couldn't, but that was literally my last $30 for the next two weeks. They had some snacks and such with them, but no actual food.

It's not good to assume. I know it's easy to get jaded, and there are people who fleece the system, but I'd hate to deny someone food just because I think they're cheap. It's not right for one bad apple to spoil it for other needy people.

There is no special protocol. No different than any aisle in a store, a restaurant, a plane or anywhere else.

You always excuse yourself when needing to have someone move out of the way.

You always give way to someone carrying something if possible as it is more difficult to move with something in the hands.

If there is a place to move over without inconveniencing others, you move over to let the other person pass rather than walking right up to them and trying to pass in an inconvenient location.

If a worker has hands busy with items and is standing where they need to drop off or pick up things, you let them know of your presence and wait patiently until they can accommodate you.

All things being equal, a worker should give way to a customer as a sign of good service.

None of this is rocket science.

Having the money for a ticket doesn't always mean having money for food. I rode in Coach with a couple who'd spent their last bit of cash, except for maybe $10, because they were moving from IL to AZ to live with her mother. They'd lost their jobs and home and had nowhere to go. Coach on Amtrak was the cheapest option (they didn't have a car). The lady was pregnant, and they were wearing holey sweats. They had one backpack with one change of clothes and their toothbrushes. We spent a lot of time in the SSL together; they were very nice.

If I hadn't just spent all but $30 on a train ticket myself, I would have given them some money for food. I felt really bad that I couldn't, but that was literally my last $30 for the next two weeks. They had some snacks and such with them, but no actual food.

It's not good to assume. I know it's easy to get jaded, and there are people who fleece the system, but I'd hate to deny someone food just because I think they're cheap. It's not right for one bad apple to spoil it for other needy people.
Very true! I can't tell you how many situations I've encountered over the years where people were traveling and had no money and /or food. Some very sad cicumstances, my previous example not being one of them. She seemed very "comfortable" with what she was doing.

Please tell me of the personal experiences you've had where an adult you knew to have money chose to repeatedly risk severe public embarrassment in order eat discarded food from a complete stranger's plate unrelated to a dare or prank?

One of the most surprising problems with being poor in America is that even though we're one of the richest countries in the world it seems that few people with enough money to truly assist you will ever believe you're deserving of their help or sympathy. In the years since the Great Depression it seems like we've been trained to see most forms of poverty among strangers as some sort of elaborate hoax or scam against us. Unless you're dying in the street we happily presume you must have a secret stash of cash or other nest egg you're hiding from the rest of us. Never mind that this makes little or no logical sense and isn't supported by any large scale study I'm aware of. So far as I am aware cases of seemingly poor people having serious wealth stashed away somewhere are exceedingly rare while the presumption of rich beggars and vagabonds has become extremely common, even among otherwise intelligent and compassionate people. It's a shame we've become too proud to help each other in a country where so many of us are only a major medical problem, legal problem, or pink slip away from the poverty line. More and more compassion for strangers is being seen as a weakness rather than a virtue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you're dying in the street we presume you must have a secret stash of cash or other nest egg you're hiding from those why might wish to help you.
And if you are dying in the street, it's because you're a lazy shiftless bum that can't be bothered to work and would probably spend any assistance you give them to buy drugs or booze, so why bother.

God forbid we show a little compassion for our fellow man. :rolleyes:

The "I lament how the generic person is far less compassionate than I am!" is an ever popular internet board response when one feels moralizing is necessary.

I wasn't moralizing; I was explaining that it's never good to assume someone has money just because they're on a train, the same way people shouldn't assume I have high cholesterol and diabetes just because I'm fat.

A does not always equal B.

Not nearly as popular as the "I have nothing to contribute, so I'll just make condescending remarks about what other people choose to contribute".

Doubly so when it's factually inaccurate, as I was talking about a particular poster who advocated throwing such a person from the train.

They should kick her off the train for doing that stuff.
Stepping away for the moment from the question of whether or not this individual had money or not, why do you think she should

have been kicked off the train? Aside from being slightly outside our cultural norms, what is the specific problem here? Not saying

I encourage or participate in the behavior, but what specifically is the eject-able offense here?

Unless you're dying in the street we presume you must have a secret stash of cash or other nest egg you're hiding from those why might wish to help you.
And if you are dying in the street, it's because you're a lazy shiftless bum that can't be bothered to work and would probably spend any assistance you give them to buy drugs or booze, so why bother.

God forbid we show a little compassion for our fellow man. :rolleyes:
Ryan I know you are kidding, but you would be so surprised at the number of people who actually believe this. Traveling in coach, there have almost always been someone who is moving with their last dime paying for the ticket. I have encountered a couple woman, one in her 30's and one in her 60's who had finally gotten away from an abusive husband and were traveling to live with their parents. One had two little kids who kept saying they were hungry. Half way thru the trip, I got my disability deposited to my account, so I made sure they all ate a good meal. The mother cried when I made the offer and made a reservation for the diner for 4, her and her two kids and myself. The one time I did not worry about walking up the stairs and dealing with the pain. I had to take care of these kids.

So many people just judge the outward appearance and being disabled with mostly invisible diseases, I know first hand how cruel people can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back