If you could go back to the 50's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weren't there such things as "colored" cars back in the 1950s, as well as separate waiting rooms?

Macon+Terminal+Railway+Station,Negro+Colored+Waiting+room,Macon+Georgia+downtown+Railroad+Train+Station.jpg

The Kansas City Florida Special. A long slow ride. I would like to have boarded at night In a freezing cold Kansas City. Roll gently through two nights and in the second afternoon airive in a warm Miami In a bedroom Not a luxury train but one I always liked.

Denver, Rio Grande and Western Royal Gorge. The Royal Gorge was originally a St. Louis to Oakland train that operated Mo Pac to Colorado Springs, DRG&W Colorado Springs to Salt Lake City, WP Salt Lake City-Oakland. In the 1950s and early 60s, it was a DRG&W Denver - Colorado Springs-Salt Lake City Train via the Royal Gorge Route which was as beautiful as the California Zephyr route via the Moffat Tunnel. Unfortunately I didn't get to ride this train before it was discontinued and now it would be impossible because the route through the Royal Gorge has been truncated. If I remember correctly, DRG&W ran a Dome car almost to the end. D&RGW bought some of the excess Chessie cars bulit by C&O for their illfated Chessie train between Washington, DC and Cincinnati. The Domes were perfect for the Rocky Mountains. Some of these cars survived into Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
The State of Maine Express, an overnight run from NY (GCT) to Portland, ME via the NH and B&M. I'd have to do it in a Pullman car though, to make up for all the trips I actually made on this train as a youngster in coach visiting relatives in Lewiston, ME.

Great Northern Empire Builder and Illinois Central all Pullman overnight train Chicago to New Orleans. I did ride these two on my first long distance train vacation trip in 1965.

The Kansas City Florida Special. A long slow ride. I would like to have boarded at night In a freezing cold Kansas City. Roll gently through two nights and in the second afternoon airive in a warm Miami In a bedroom Not a luxury train but one I always liked.
Good one, Bill. For the same reasons - my choice is Seaboard's Palmland. Left Washington late evening, arrived Ft. Lauderdale, where I got off, second morning. It featured a heavyweight grill-lounge car that former editor Trains Magazine said served the coldest beer. I concur.

20th Century Limited. That train had class, especially with the streamlined locomotive. It was, in my opinion, one of the best looking trains ever to roll. Never saw it, of course, by the time I came around, Amtrak had already been around a couple of years, but I fell in love with it, when I got an issue of Model Railroader Magazine for Christmas back in 87 or 88, had a module layout of the NYC along the water level route, with that train on the cover. That kinda hooked me.

Northern Pacific's North Coast Limited. "Four Domes West" Why? Because it was the most beautiful of the post war streamliners and it travelled through some of the most spectacular scenery you could see by rail. (YES, IMHO, the NPs route was much more scenic than the GNs that survive as AMTRAK'S Empire Builder today). In addition, its dining car was known throughout the nation as the BEST. White linen, silver service, Montana brook trout and a GREAT BIG BAKED POTATO!

"It was TERRIFFIC! It was NORTHERN PACIFIC!"

Hard Choice but since I actually got to Ride a Couple of the Classic Trains (I'm Old! :giggle: ) I'd go with the 20th Century Ltd. with Eva Marie Saint in a Drawing Room from NYC-CHI and then the Super Chief with a Drawing Room and Dinner in the Torquoise Room with Clark Gable, Claudet Colbert and other Movie Stars from CHI-LAUS!!! :wub:

**That North Coast Limited Sounds Pretty Nice, Id probably have to ride up the Coast and take it home Via SPs Daylight to SFO and then on to SEA on the Best LD that ran this Route to SEA! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back