Shampoo Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
I know soap and shower linens are provided so I was going to pick up some travel size Garnier Shampoo. Since they have to use special toilet paper, will this stuff screw up the plumbing? Do I need to go to a marine store and get some special shampoo?

I know soap and shower linens are provided so I was going to pick up some travel size Garnier Shampoo. Since they have to use special toilet paper, will this stuff screw up the plumbing? Do I need to go to a marine store and get some special shampoo?
The shower just empties onto the tracks so there's no plumbing to worry about.

Yep.

"Brown water" (from the toilets) go into the retention tanks. Water from the sinks and showers go directly on the tracks. I was told this by my SCA when I saw water coming from our car at a station stop. He said it's probably someone taking a shower.

We just bring/use the little hotel shampoo bottles that we've collected over time.

"Brown water" (from the toilets) go into the retention tanks. Water from the sinks and showers go directly on the tracks. I was told this by my SCA when I saw water coming from our car at a station stop. He said it's probably someone taking a shower.
I believe you mean blackwater. The water from the sinks and showers is known as greywater. ;)

I was told this by my SCA when I saw water coming from our car at a station stop. He said it's probably someone taking a shower.
It might have been me. I always time my shower for when we're at a station (less rocking and therefore safer).
There's nothing like taking a shower at 79 MPH! I should have tried at 115 MPH on the NEC on my Viewliner trip!

I didn't know the greywater still went onto the tracks. Learn something everyday. :)

On our first ever train ride (Southern RW) decades ago, we were amazed that the toilet dumped onto the tracks. As gross as that sounds, I know railroaders say it was actually harmless. There were signs saying to not flush while at stations. While in more populated areas, I'm not so sure, but through the woods I don't guess it hurt anything. (Yes, I know it's trespassing to be on the ROW.) I'd be lying if I said I'm sorry that practice changed, though!

AU is just a treasure-trove of information.

I thought showering at stations was a bad idea because if they're filling the tank, water might stop flowing.

Regarding the brown water, they should just store it and release it in country areas (gps controlled). Save money and help grow strawberries.

Save a little money and go with the Amtrak provided liquid soap/cleanser; it cleans nicely and smells great!
If you can get your hands on a Amtrak "personal amenities kit"... I would use the stuff inside too.

They're little velvet bags that contain Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, Soap and a Shower cap. It's all high-quality stuff from Gilchrist & Soames and I agree with NE933... it cleans nicely and smells great. As a matter of fact, I liked it so much I brought the leftovers with me and used it in my hotel instead of the crap they provided.

But Amtrak's policy on these kits is frustratingly inconstant.

On the "enhanced" routes (CS & EB) the SCA's leave a kit for you in your room when you board.

On the other routes there is just a tub of soap bars in the shower room... but the SCA's should have some of the amenities kits available by request.

Save a little money and go with the Amtrak provided liquid soap/cleanser; it cleans nicely and smells great!
If you can get your hands on a Amtrak "personal amenities kit"... I would use the stuff inside too.

They're little velvet bags that contain Shampoo, Conditioner, Lotion, Soap and a Shower cap. It's all high-quality stuff from Gilchrist & Soames and I agree with NE933... it cleans nicely and smells great. As a matter of fact, I liked it so much I brought the leftovers with me and used it in my hotel instead of the crap they provided.

But Amtrak's policy on these kits is frustratingly inconstant.

On the "enhanced" routes (CS & EB) the SCA's leave a kit for you in your room when you board.

On the other routes there is just a tub of soap bars in the shower room... but the SCA's should have some of the amenities kits available by request.
Gilchrist and Soames? I dunno. I get that stuff when I stay at Harrah's hotels, and I've never really been all that impressed with it. It's all made in China now and seems like pretty ordinary toiletries with a fancy English name. It's also weird using that teal shampoo-conditioner that doesn't really condition.

Now many Hilton hotels have Peter Thomas Roth toiletries. That stuff is super expensive if you have to buy it.

Gilchrist and Soames? I dunno. I get that stuff when I stay at Harrah's hotels, and I've never really been all that impressed with it. It's all made in China now and seems like pretty ordinary toiletries with a fancy English name. It's also weird using that teal shampoo-conditioner that doesn't really condition.
Now many Hilton hotels have Peter Thomas Roth toiletries. That stuff is super expensive if you have to buy it.
I guess it's all your personal preference.

A search of Gilchrist & Soames website shows they produce a few product lines, probably of varying qualities. But the BeeKind line Amtrak uses is on the expensive side with an 8oz. bottle selling for $15 at retail.

Personally I think that Amtrak should either consistently give all sleeper passengers the amenity kits... or install shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the showers.

I thought everybody knew the shower drained onto the tracks. In the communal shower of a Superliner, if you look down the drain you can see sunlight.

I bring my own bar of hypoallergenic soap, due to being allergic to certain ingredients found in most soaps and other toiletries. On most trips I use this soap to wash my hair, too, since it's only a day or two -- no little bottle of shampoo means one less thing to pack in my carry-on.

The amenity kits are nice - but there is no guarantee that you will get one. So I always bring shampoo and conditioner just in case. I think the only thing you can be sure of getting in a sleeper is a towel and a bar of hard soap. I can't imagine that we would recommend that someone attempt to wash their hair with a bar of hard soap.

I guess it's all your personal preference.
A search of Gilchrist & Soames website shows they produce a few product lines, probably of varying qualities. But the BeeKind line Amtrak uses is on the expensive side with an 8oz. bottle selling for $15 at retail.

Personally I think that Amtrak should either consistently give all sleeper passengers the amenity kits... or install shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the showers.
They have a track record for outsourcing that makes me a bit uncomfortable using their products.

http://eur.gilchristsoames.com/help/faq-toothpasterecall
How did DEG end up in your toothpaste?

After receiving the FDA alert June 1 about tainted toothpaste manufactured in China, we immediately contacted our two China toothpaste suppliers and asked them to begin independent lab testing for the presence of DEG in our toothpaste. We initiated similar independent lab testing in the US.

By way of background, we believe the DEG was present in the glycerin product, which is used in our toothpaste formulation, as it is in the formulation of many leading US toothpaste brands. Glycerin is an important and safe ingredient in toothpaste. DEG has many properties that perform similarly to glycerin, but DEG is not a safe ingredient for toothpaste. DEG is not in our toothpaste formulation, and DEG should never have been used in the manufacture of our toothpaste.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ArchiveRecalls/2007/ucm112256.htm

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/20247641/ns/health-health_care/t/chinese-made-hotel-toothpaste-recalled

http://www.reuters.com/article/2007/08/13/us-toothpaste-recall-idUSN1335094920070813

The amenity kits are nice - but there is no guarantee that you will get one. So I always bring shampoo and conditioner just in case. I think the only thing you can be sure of getting in a sleeper is a towel and a bar of hard soap. I can't imagine that we would recommend that someone attempt to wash their hair with a bar of hard soap.
I've done it before. I wouldn't recommend using bar soap if real shampoo is available, but it can beat having really nasty hair. There are some bar shampoos. They primary reason is because they're compact and because there are fewer issues with the TSA restrictions on liquids.

I've used Dr Bronner's liquid soap as shampoo. That's not too bad, but I wouldn't use it every day.

I thought showering at stations was a bad idea because if they're filling the tank, water might stop flowing.
Regarding the brown water, they should just store it and release it in country areas (gps controlled). Save money and help grow strawberries.
Ok, I am too young to know these "old-timer" jokes, so can someone fill me in what is this deal with strawberries and brown water?

I traveled by train in India a lot where trains dump brown water straight onto the tracks, and never saw strawberries grow around there :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back