Red Cap Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt1i

Train Attendant
Two weeks from now I will be taking off for another around the country trip mostly in a sleeper.

Having a bad knee I am wondering if there are redcaps capable of giving me a ride as well as my bag in the following stations?

WAS,CHI,LAX,PDX

Thanks

I think there will be... all are endpoints for a lot of routes.

Travel well! 73....

Last edited by a moderator:
That's good news. So how does the recap thing work with the Cascades? You still end up with a random seat preselected for you but you can reach it before others?

That's good news. So how does the recap thing work with the Cascades? You still end up with a random seat preselected for you but you can reach it before others?
I only used the red cap from the EB to the station and it was a very short ride.

I waited in the lounge for the Cascades and the attendant let me board early so I had a choice seat.

In other words, I don't know how it would work :p

Thought I'd give you my experience anyway. :)

I use red caps at every station you mentioned. All manned stations have carts that will carry passengers and their carry-ons to the train, you just have to ask. When I left FTW on the TE, I asked for assistance getting to the train, and they took me thru the luggage area to a cart with seats and an area for luggage.

I was told when I talked with customer relations that all you have to do is ask and there is assistance for those with mobility issues, whether they would carry someone who is physically able to walk to the train, I could not tell you.

All manned stations have carts that will carry passengers and their carry-ons to the train, you just have to ask.
That is not quite true.

Most stations with checked baggage have carts to the train, but I can think of a few that don't. These include NYP and BOS. Also, not every manned station have carts. For example, KIN is manned, but does not have a cart (or checked baggage)!

All manned stations have carts that will carry passengers and their carry-ons to the train, you just have to ask.
That is not quite true.

Most stations with checked baggage have carts to the train, but I can think of a few that don't. These include NYP and BOS. Also, not every manned station have carts. For example, KIN is manned, but does not have a cart (or checked baggage)!
I was told by amtrak customer relations just this past monday that every manned station has assistance by a cart, the cart does not have to be for luggage, it is for assistance with mobility issues. The person I spoke with said that if there are no red caps, that asking at the ticket office, that there will be assistance to the train, either by cart with luggage area or as in EMY by a golf cart. I am just going by what I have been told. Even at WOR where I board, they have a station wheelchair if I needed that to get to the train. Believe me, I have checked for any station that I could possibly want to travel to. I cannot walk the distance of a train without ending up in extreme physical issues.

That is not quite true.
I was told by amtrak customer relations just this past monday that every manned station has assistance by a cart, the cart does not have to be for luggage, it is for assistance with mobility issues. The person I spoke with said that if there are no red caps, that asking at the ticket office, that there will be assistance to the train, either by cart with luggage area or as in EMY by a golf cart. I am just going by what I have been told. Even at WOR where I board, they have a station wheelchair if I needed that to get to the train. Believe me, I have checked for any station that I could possibly want to travel to. I cannot walk the distance of a train without ending up in extreme physical issues.
And you just contradicted yourself. You just said WOR has a wheelchair, not a cart.

WIL does not have carts for people, but does have wheelchairs.

Wheelchair and assistance, yes. But you specifically said carts. KIN does not have carts, but they have a short high level platform and also wheelchair lifts, and they also provide assistance carrying luggage if needed.

That is not quite true.
And you just contradicted yourself. You just said WOR has a wheelchair, not a cart.

WIL does not have carts for people, but does have wheelchairs.
The mention of WOR and the wheelchair had nothing to do with the other statement. I was just stating that even if they don't have carts, they do have wheelchairs that will assist the disabled. I am not sure why I have to always defend my statements. I guess if I am told something by Amtrak and you disagree, I must be wrong, and how is stating what Amtrak told me that all manned stations have carts is my fault. I can only trust what they tell me. I mentioned WOR because it is not a manned station on the weekend and there is a wheelchair that is available thru the security guard even when unmanned. You just have to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back