Station under an overpass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
Got a couple of those on my normal route.

The Berkeley station is right under the University Ave overpass with the two Quik-Trak kiosks under the overpass. Parking spaces are also located under this. The benches are occasionally used by sleeping homeless when it rains, although it's not exactly watertight. Takara Sake is a block away. I've lived here almost all my life but have yet to take the tour.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=berkeley+amtrak&hl=en&ll=37.867174,-122.300821&spn=0.001854,0.002661&sll=37.869687,-122.300792&sspn=0.010485,0.021286&hnear=Berkeley+Amtrak&t=h&z=19

The Santa Clara-Great America station is located right under Tasman Drive, with a staircase leading from the station to the sidewalk along Tasman. For a long stretch there's only a single track used by Amtrak in both directions as well as ACE southbound in the morning and northbound in the late afternoon. I'm not sure how they're going to handle it once the new 49ers stadium is ready. It sort of works well now with no more than one Amtrak train in each direction every 90 minutes and ACE trains pretty much only in one direction at a time. I believe the Coast Starlight takes a different route.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Amtrak+Station-GAC&hl=en&ll=37.406523,-121.966857&spn=0.001865,0.002661&cid=12979524675706547005&gl=US&t=h&z=19

The current Atlanta station headhouse is located next to the Peachtree St. overpass over I-85 and the railroad, while part of the platform runs under Peachtree St. and the south end of the platform forms an overpass itself over I-75!

http://goo.gl/maps/3khbh

The Crescent Southbound is usually spotted with the locomotives just over I-75.

The examples I had were of overpasses where the traffic quickly lowers down to about the same level as the tracks. The stations I mentioned are actually well hidden as a result of their locations under an overpass. If you're on one of the main roads you'll need to carefully follow the signs unless you're familar with the area.

However, I'm thinking maybe any station that's at least partially under an elevated roadway. I could imagine a station completely built under a viaduct. I was thinking maybe Amtrak's Oakland, California maintenance facility was partially under I-880, but I looked at Google maps and maybe only employee parking is located under the freeway.

We've got some interesting rail in the San Francisco Bay Area which were built in conjuction with freeways. Several BART stations were designed to be located in the median of freeways, with the tracks also in the median. As a kid I remember watching it and seeing my parents "race" against BART trains.

The CS does go right by GAC everyday (at speed so don't be standing too close on the platform). The new stadium is already screwing up the convenience that GAC used to afford me as being the closest station to me for doing a weekend run on the CC. The parking is pretty messed up now with the construction and I can't even imagine what a nightmare it will be during events once the new stadium opens. I'm thinking that I might have to check out the new Santa Clara stop (SCC) on the CC if I want to make a weekend lunch trip to OKJ. :(

The CS does go right by GAC everyday (at speed so don't be standing too close on the platform). The new stadium is already screwing up the convenience that GAC used to afford me as being the closest station to me for doing a weekend run on the CC. The parking is pretty messed up now with the construction and I can't even imagine what a nightmare it will be during events once the new stadium opens. I'm thinking that I might have to check out the new Santa Clara stop (SCC) on the CC if I want to make a weekend lunch trip to OKJ. :(
I took the CS a couple of times. I thought we went through GAC once but the other time I thought we bypassed it on a freight track.

The parking all around GAC is free and fairly convenient. I suppose they're probably going to restrict parking on game days. I'm familiar with parking being restricted on college football game days in Berkeley as well as around San Jose for hockey games. They put out a new schedule on the signs each year and maybe temporary signs for postseason games. At SCC there are only maybe four free on-street parking spaces with the rest all Caltrain at $4 for up to 24 hours. There is the option to park across the El Camino Real next to Santa Clara University, but that's a bit of a walk.

Buffalo Exchange St. is mostly (not entirely) under an elevated expressway. In this case the expressway came after the railroad and it's not pretty.

Camarillo, Calif (CML) is under the US 101 freeway. It is a stop for the Pacific Surfliner and Southern California's Metrolink. The Coast Starlight passes through this station.

Last edited by a moderator:
The St. Louis station is partly under Highway 40 and one or more on-ramps, requiring the station to be partly depressed into the ground before rising again above trackage.

Pittsburgh's shed has a huge chunk taken out so that an interstate can go through the place. Thankfully, the interstate serves well enough as a rain shelter!

We've got some interesting rail in the San Francisco Bay Area which were built in conjuction with freeways. Several BART stations were designed to be located in the median of freeways, with the tracks also in the median. As a kid I remember watching it and seeing my parents "race" against BART trains.
I like "racing" Chicago's L when I'm on the Dan Ryan. The Red Line follows the freeway for a few miles. The tracks are in the median, just like BART.

Depending on how technical you want to get Amtrak stations at West Palm, Delray, Deerfield, Ft. Lauderdale, and Hollywood are all under overpasses since there is a pedestrian bridge across the double track. :giggle: Dallas Union Station is also situated on top of an overpass on both ends at Reunion Blvd. (Reunion Blvd. is a loop, thus why it crosses the same road on both ends of the station)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back