Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jersey42 first with the correct answer.

Jacksonville, FL.

I came prepared to post this photo of the same train should anyone have needed another hint -

0068-M.jpg

The thread is yours jersey42!

That's the very end of the NEC catenary at Boston South Station (a very nice place to visit indeed).

[Well, there's this "end" of it and then there's the bit of catenary that goes to the maintenance shops and dead-ends along I-93]

Boston South Station is correct, TCRT, your turn to post.

For those who have not yet visited Boston South Station, the photo shows about one third of this compact station. Most station services except baggage are conveniently located in or adjacent to this one room with a great view of the tracks. The MBTA "T" subway" is down the escalator and the intercity bus station is over the tracks.

This photo was taken from the rear "railfan window" of the former "Federal" Viewliner sleeper ten years ago.

b8d1a41f17a46e9d4ec1c6a586580356.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pic & info if BOS. Someday I hope to see it in person. Was hoping to take a day trip up this spring, but keep running into delays here at home. :(

I have posted a couple of Vermonter stations in the past month. When SubwayNut guessed my picture of Windsor VT he said:

Looks like Windsor, Vermont (not Connecticut) to me.
I am pretty sure this is another Vermonter station. How about: Windsor Locks CT, not to be confused with Windsor CT or Windsor VT.

Is there a smaller Amtrak station anywhere?

Yes its the bus stop Windsor Locks, CT (all three Windsor's are on my website, the Vermonter stops at Windsor Locks but skips Windsor, so you can't buy a single segment ticket from Windsor to Windsor, just Windsor Locks to Windsor). It's also the stop where the conductor confirms you really know where your going (I think a lot of people get off there expecting taxis to the Bradley Airport that's in Windsor Locks). I did make an hour photo stop on a nice warm day (wasn't coming from Windsor, VT that time, but St. Albans) and did have a conversation with the conductor about my photo stop and walked up to the abandoned station.

Got it I think -

Lewistown, PA.

The picture from the train was not high enough off the ground to be taken from the upstairs of a Superliner and the place didn't look busy enough (small parking lot) to be at a station that had more than one train a day each direction. The 'appearance' of the earth eliminated the deep south, southwest, or west coast. For awhile I was thinking Illinois BUT Illinois is pretty flat and I can't think of a place where a double track mainline needs to sweep out of curve that sharp into a station anywhere in Illinois.

Soooo..... I pretty much narrowed it down to either Vermont or Pennsylvania............ and couldn't think of a place in Vermont with a double track mainline like this. That's when I took to Google Earth and started looking at stations west of Harrisburg.

So...... I'm going to say Lewistown, PA. The thing that I was looking for was a station where the remaining tracks were further away from the original platform which is the case in Lewistown...... and the partial red roof...... and the nearby houses with swimming pools.

Got it I think -
Lewistown, PA.

The picture from the train was not high enough off the ground to be taken from the upstairs of a Superliner and the place didn't look busy enough (small parking lot) to be at a station that had more than one train a day each direction. The 'appearance' of the earth eliminated the deep south, southwest, or west coast. For awhile I was thinking Illinois BUT Illinois is pretty flat and I can't think of a place where a double track mainline needs to sweep out of curve that sharp into a station anywhere in Illinois.

Soooo..... I pretty much narrowed it down to either Vermont or Pennsylvania............ and couldn't think of a place in Vermont with a double track mainline like this. That's when I took to Google Earth and started looking at stations west of Harrisburg.

So...... I'm going to say Lewistown, PA. The thing that I was looking for was a station where the remaining tracks were further away from the original platform which is the case in Lewistown...... and the partial red roof...... and the nearby houses with swimming pools.
I think you got it too! It is indeed Lewistown, PA. Excellent deductive reasoning. Here is the rest of the photo through the dirty window.

d4706585a677e7afe76e33f8ea9ae8ae.jpg

I am looking forward to your next photo.

What a great way to get an early start on 'weekend things' - sharing one of my old station photos on AU.

Here is one that I took myself back when I was a teenager....... that would be the 1970's. Notice that this train is still steam heated. The Superliners (which may or may not operate through this active station) were under construction when I took this photo but they hadn't started showing up out on the property yet.

One hint - the Amtrak station was (and still is) located in the newer building in the distance. That closer building had already been replaced as the passenger station before Amtrak began operation in 1971.

0076-L.jpg

It does kind of look like Fargo Tumbleweed..... or Minot.

It is not either one of those, however. This picture was taken 10 or 11 years before I made it to North Dakota for the first time.

Back