Amtrak ONLY Rail Transit to Not Allow Pets!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The length of routes is probably the biggest reason for the ban. If rail had mainly day trips, then it would make more sense. Perhaps allowing pets on corridor/NEC trains would be a decent middle ground.
I think this is pretty close to hitting the nail on the head. Most flights are short enough that a pet won't need to be relieved en route, same goes for commuter trains/transit. However, the same is not true on long distance trains. At some point in a trip between NYP and MIA (for example) if not several times, the pet will need to be relieved. Sure they could theoretically be relieved at smoke stops, but the Conductors can (and will) get rid of smoke stops when the train is running late. Take for example train 91 of 04/01. This train is scheduled to stop in SAV for five minutes and it is designated as a smoke stop. However, the train got late and they made the stop in three minutes and I guarantee you there were no smokers allowed off. If you throw pets in the mix I can hear it now, "You're going to not let this poor helpless animal use the bathroom?" Let alone as others have said issues with passengers who are allergic or animals who don't behave. Amtrak has enough issues as is, why make it harder for Conductors and OBS personnel who already have a lot on their plate?
Well make it simple then. Adopt similar requirements that unaccompanied minors currently have to suffer under. They're only allowed on daylight runs. So to allow pets, limit them to maybe 6 hour trips. That'd put most of the NEC spine within reach of most other stations of the NEC. About the only major stations pets couldn't reach would be Boston from south of Philadelphia, and vice versa.
This would not solve the pet hair/fur/feather? issue. What about 'unruly' pets-too noisy/aggressive etc. Would you kick the passenger and their pet off the train, and why? Would the cleaning of day trains have to be changed? If it would take longer to clean the trains, then would that not affect the schedule of the trains? Also, would you limit pets only to cats and dogs?

The length of routes is probably the biggest reason for the ban. If rail had mainly day trips, then it would make more sense. Perhaps allowing pets on corridor/NEC trains would be a decent middle ground.
I think this is pretty close to hitting the nail on the head. Most flights are short enough that a pet won't need to be relieved en route, same goes for commuter trains/transit. However, the same is not true on long distance trains. At some point in a trip between NYP and MIA (for example) if not several times, the pet will need to be relieved. Sure they could theoretically be relieved at smoke stops, but the Conductors can (and will) get rid of smoke stops when the train is running late. Take for example train 91 of 04/01. This train is scheduled to stop in SAV for five minutes and it is designated as a smoke stop. However, the train got late and they made the stop in three minutes and I guarantee you there were no smokers allowed off. If you throw pets in the mix I can hear it now, "You're going to not let this poor helpless animal use the bathroom?" Let alone as others have said issues with passengers who are allergic or animals who don't behave. Amtrak has enough issues as is, why make it harder for Conductors and OBS personnel who already have a lot on their plate?
Well make it simple then. Adopt similar requirements that unaccompanied minors currently have to suffer under. They're only allowed on daylight runs. So to allow pets, limit them to maybe 6 hour trips. That'd put most of the NEC spine within reach of most other stations of the NEC. About the only major stations pets couldn't reach would be Boston from south of Philadelphia, and vice versa.
This would not solve the pet hair/fur/feather? issue. What about 'unruly' pets-too noisy/aggressive etc. Would you kick the passenger and their pet off the train, and why? Would the cleaning of day trains have to be changed? If it would take longer to clean the trains, then would that not affect the schedule of the trains? Also, would you limit pets only to cats and dogs?
Well what do the commuter and transit trains that allow pets do?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well what do the commuter and transit trains that allow pets do?
Good question. The ones here do not allow pets at all. They must be service animals only.

You could tell your pet it is a cellphone call away from the taxidermist....?.... (yes, that was a joke, not a serious comment.) But.....Our piano technician is violently allergic to cats dander. He can,and has,gone into anaphylactic shock (potentially lethal; if not IMMEDIATELY treated ---> from WikiPedia: "a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death, It typically causes a number of symptoms including an itchy rash, throat swelling, and low blood pressure. Common causes include insect bites/stings, foods, and medications"..

The piano tech carries an "epi-pen", medical kit which lets him immediately inject himself with epinephrine (adrenaline), and the kit also includes potent chewable antihistamine pills that don't require water to take swallow. If you are violently allergic to anything, having that epi-pen kit could literally save your life. Many people, both adults and children, have lethal food allergies,requiring them to read every ingredient of any food they purchase, . Many people are also violently allergic to bee stings and fire ant bites, both of which are of the "hymenoptera" line of venomous insects. I discovered the hard way that Iwas allergic to bee stings, so I am very familiar with the subject. Wendy and I have two Parrots,- an African Grey and an Alexandrine Ringneck, and I would NEVER want to take them on any public transportation. With me, the Grey is completely docile and friendly, but with strangers he would draw blood on the first appendage they got too close to him. The potential physical harm (or even possible death to other passengers, (and also, likely, loud noises) just isn't worth the risk. So unless it is a properly trained, genuine service animal, I would NOT want it on board the passenger accomodations area of.a long-distance train,airplane,etc.

You could tell your pet it is a cellphone call away from the taxidermist....?.... (yes, that was a joke, not a serious comment.) But.....Our piano technician is violently allergic to cats dander. He can,and has,gone into anaphylactic shock (potentially lethal; if not IMMEDIATELY treated ---> from WikiPedia: "a serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death, It typically causes a number of symptoms including an itchy rash, throat swelling, and low blood pressure. Common causes include insect bites/stings, foods, and medications"..The piano tech carries an "epi-pen", medical kit which lets him immediately inject himself with epinephrine (adrenaline), and the kit also includes potent chewable antihistamine pills that don't require water to take swallow. If you are violently allergic to anything, having that epi-pen kit could literally save your life. Many people, both adults and children, have lethal food allergies,requiring them to read every ingredient of any food they purchase, . Many people are also violently allergic to bee stings and fire ant bites, both of which are of the "hymenoptera" line of venomous insects. I discovered the hard way that Iwas allergic to bee stings, so I am very familiar with the subject. Wendy and I have two Parrots,- an African Grey and an Alexandrine Ringneck, and I would NEVER want to take them on any public transportation. With me, the Grey is completely docile and friendly, but with strangers he would draw blood on the first appendage they got too close to him. The potential physical harm (or even possible death to other passengers, (and also, likely, loud noises) just isn't worth the risk. So unless it is a properly trained, genuine service animal, I would NOT want it on board the passenger accomodations area of.a long-distance train,airplane,etc.
I'm with you on this. We also have two parrots, a 'mini macaw' and a blue and gold macaw. They don't travel too well, and both are quite capable of a serious bite. Also they can be very very loud, and that is something that is fairly difficult to control. If they get excited or agitated, they get louder and louder, and the risk of biting goes up. As much as we enjoy them, public travel is out for them. Not just for us, but for them and those around them.

We are looking at this from the human side, which is probably the easiest side to see it from, but put yourself in the pet's paws, would they understand the new smells? they remember things thru their scents. We all know that people get on trains and other public transportation while sick. Would you want your pet to be subjected to something that might hurt or harm them. I know you could get sick too, but that is your choice to travel, I am not so sure the pet can make that decision, you are making it for them.

Lastly, many of the diseases that animals have can be transmitted thru contact. Meaning that someone can walk by and pet a dog or cat somewhere before getting on the train and then pet your dog or cat on the train. Some of the diseases do not show signs on the carrier for years, so the dog or cat that was the carrier was healthy, then your pet is older and gets sick and passes away from something that you had no control over. NO way, I keep my pets at home where I know what is there.

Exactly what would be considered a "pet" ?

Allowing pets would open a whole new "can of worms"

Can you bring chickens as a pet or must they stay on the tracks ?

This dead horse that we are beating, could it be considered a "pet" ?

Good Lord, next thing someone will want to cook on a sterno stove.

This has the makings of a Marx Brothers Movie " A Day on the Train"

The vast majority of trains worldwide allow pets in proper, fully enclosed carriers. There are usually further restrictions.

Very few trains allow "loose" pets.

I simply don't see why people are not allowed to take their goldfish from Boston to New Haven.

UTA rule:

"Animals. Other than a Service Animal, no person shall bring a live animal into or upon a Transit Facility or Transit Vehicle, unless such person receives permission from the Operator or Authorized UTA Representative to do so. In the event such permission is granted, such animal must remain in an enclosed carry-on, not obstruct the movement of passengers or UTA employees within the Transit Facility or Transit Vehicle, and not create a nuisance or disturbance within the Transit Facility or Transit Vehicle."

In short, any UTA employee can approve your goldfish carrier for transport. Contrast Amtrak.

Exactly what would be considered a "pet" ? Allowing pets would open a whole new "can of worms"

Can you bring chickens as a pet or must they stay on the tracks ?

This dead horse that we are beating, could it be considered a "pet" ?

Good Lord, next thing someone will want to cook on a sterno stove.

This has the makings of a Marx Brothers Movie " A Day on the Train"
And, this is a year old topic recently stirred up by a guest who evidently didn't go back and look at all the previous responses where all this was discussed to death.

Before 1971 the railroads for decades allowed dogs in sleeping car rooms. In the 50s and 60s you would see a dog traveling this way about as often as you see "service dogs" on Amtrak now. Service dogs seem to be accepted by the rest of the passengers now the way regular dogs were back in the day. It works as long as everybody and his brother don't want to bring an animal with them. A stiff surcharge would stiffle any mass demand.

And, this is a year old topic recently stirred up by a guest who evidently didn't go back and look at all the previous responses where all this was discussed to death.
Exactly! Another old thread, resurrected by someone who thinks they're submitting feedback directly to Amtrak.

I know that this forum is one of the few to allow guests to post. That probably does a lot to increase traffic, which is good. However, many of these posters vent their frustration and never return. I wonder how many of them then get mad that "Amtrak never responded" to them (perhaps they're expecting a call/e-mail from someone at Amtrak)? Perhaps the requirement to actually register would help these people see that they're not submitting official feedback.

But guests go not provide contact info, so they can't expect a response by phone/email

I clicked on this topic due to the fact we are planning on traveling from STL to CHI in August. I'd like to take my dog, (Shih Tzu) which is a small breed and not a yappy one, also a low allergy dog. This is anywhere from a 5 to 6 hour trip. I understand the days trip thing, and even six hours without a potty break for him would be pushing it. But, the last time I took Amtrack, if indeed they are worried about customers, maybe they should look into keeping the bar supplied so they don't run out of provisions 30 minutes into the trip. They had a train load of Cardinals fans going to a Cards/Cubs game in Chicago. You couldn't even get a beer after 15 minutes. So, if they are worried about customer service, maybe they should worry about customer service? The attendant on the train said he heard numerous complaints on this several times before and nothing he suggested was taken into consideration. We took the train because we hadn't before and thought it was the most responsible way to travel if we wanted to party pre-game. They missed out on a huge money maker considering they are in financial straits at this point. Not saying we wanted to get sloppy drunk either. Just to drink responsibly.

I clicked on this topic due to the fact we are planning on traveling from STL to CHI in August. I'd like to take my dog, (Shih Tzu) which is a small breed and not a yappy one, also a low allergy dog. This is anywhere from a 5 to 6 hour trip. I understand the days trip thing, and even six hours without a potty break for him would be pushing it. But, the last time I took Amtrack, if indeed they are worried about customers, maybe they should look into keeping the bar supplied so they don't run out of provisions 30 minutes into the trip. They had a train load of Cardinals fans going to a Cards/Cubs game in Chicago. You couldn't even get a beer after 15 minutes. So, if they are worried about customer service, maybe they should worry about customer service? The attendant on the train said he heard numerous complaints on this several times before and nothing he suggested was taken into consideration. We took the train because we hadn't before and thought it was the most responsible way to travel if we wanted to party pre-game. They missed out on a huge money maker considering they are in financial straits at this point. Not saying we wanted to get sloppy drunk either. Just to drink responsibly.
Since most beverage items are stocked by a control list for a particular train and destination, I can only think that the Lead Attendant did know know such a group of Cardinal fans were going. This would have to come from reservations and even they might not have known who is who. I have no idea how Amtrak stocks food and beverage so I offer this as one reason the train ran out of provisions. Even with increased amounts, who is to say that would even be enough. While the snack bar sells liquor beer and wine, it is not a bar per say. I have been on many trains and planes, due to delays or whatever that have run out of stuff. I suspect it has nothing to do with customer service, but when your out of Bud your out of beer and out is out.

A train full of Cardinals fans going to a Cardinal/Cubs game?

15 minutes sounds like a pretty good cutoff time to me!

Besides, they would never have enough room to stock enough beer for that trip!

I was just reading up about the new CapeFlyer, train service to Cape Cod is now back for this summer (Friday to Sunday trips), now operated by the MBTA instead of Amtrak from Boston to Hyannis. It advertises the fact it has wifi, accepts bikes, and Pets Welcome.

Something to add this long discussion.

People around my neighborhood walk their dogs by my yard and they stop unpredictably to crap on my lawn. How can any pet owner predict when a dog needs to take a dump, and how can the owner prevent it happening in the carrier. And then what prevents that from stinking up the whole car till the owner's stop? Dogs in passenger compartments just seem like a bad idea, not that I expect their owners to volunteer the bad aspects.
You assume that the dogs are stopping unpredictably. My dog predictably has a bowel movement two times a day. And yes, he always goes on someone's lawn because we live in a city. I always have a bag to pick it up.
LOL, my dog will poop in any neighbors yard if they are present. It's so embarrassing I deliberately avoid any yard where the person is out in the yard. On this subject, Amtrak has the correct idea. Just don't deal with it at all. I rode the Alaska RR winter train one March and this lady got on with a huge Malamute or Husky. It was well behaved, but scary it was so big. The winter train stops at some points to pick up dog sled teams that went out for the weekend. They ride in the baggage car. Alaska is unique. I don't know if they allow pets on the summer tourist trains. I never saw any.

Why not require that people wishing to bring animals aboard produce some sort of official document or card to prove their companion isn't merely a pet? Amtrak's present policy clearly encourages abuse by passengers with acting skills.

Why not require that people wishing to bring animals aboard produce some sort of official document or card to prove their companion isn't merely a pet? Amtrak's present policy clearly encourages abuse by passengers with acting skills.
That would be a clear violation of the ADA.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Quote:

"When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back